Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 28th, 2008 02:00

Dell 3115cn Scanning to Computer Setup Issue

Hello all,

I am having an issue with the above.  I have no problem locating the scanner on the network and I have tried to set up the server screen but when I try to scan to the computer I get the message SMB/FTP Error.

Can anyone have a look at the below and let me know what I have done wrong.

IP Address is ok and verified

Server Type - SMB

Server Port Nos - 139

Login name - Paul

Password for pc has been entered and enabled

Share name - scanned

server path - bob

the actual path on the computer to the destination file is C:\Users\Paul\scanned\bob

I have set the folder up for sharing and also turned off password sharing in Windows vista and given the scanner full trust through norton.

the unit is on a network of three computers running through a switch and I want the scanned items to go direct to the above pc

All advice welcome!

1 Message

November 29th, 2008 13:00

Try changing the path to just - C:\Users\Paul\scanned

Login should be the same as windows user login.

I had the same problem, had to call tech support. (My problem was I tried to setup the shared drive on a "non- C:\" drive).  I changed my shared scan folder to:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop\Scans

and got it going.

3 Posts

November 30th, 2008 09:00

Last year, I talked to someone at Dell Support who had emailed me a setup guide that they wrote in-house for the SCAN-TO-PC setup. Recently, I got a new computer for the office -- and of course --can't find that setup guide. Support.dell.com has basically no information or posts available to help with this setup. Murphy's Law, I can't call support now because I'm out-of-warranty.

Does anyone have this guide? The scan-to-pc setup is the most frustrating thing about the Dell 3115cn.

Also, I downloaded the user guide lately. You open it.. and you can't read any of the pages.

Is someone around lurking at Dell that perhaps could fix up the support section on the 3115cn!

-Adam

4 Posts

December 1st, 2008 01:00

You are right about this being the most frustrating thing to set up. I have changed the details as you suggested and not when I send it just shows login in issue, I have looked at the password and it is correct along with the user name.

I guess some things are sent to try and wind you up and this is one of them!

3 Posts

December 1st, 2008 09:00

I messed around Sunday and was able to get the scanning to PC to work on my Windows Vista machine. Let's walk through it together on here. I think it would be good if there are some instructions on how to do it somewhere. I re-read your first post, right now, when you try to scan from the printer to the PC. An error message displays on the printer. What are you seeing?

4 Posts

December 2nd, 2008 01:00

I enter the SCAN option on the menu, Then I select COMPUTER, I select the adress name I have set up on the computer which is now 'scan', press the tick button a cople of times then the green triangle.

At this point the printer scans the document then states 'PROCESSING'

then it comes up with the error message 016-783 and fails.

3 Posts

December 3rd, 2008 13:00

You are really close. The fact that you start the processing and you can almost hear the unit start to scan, and then it times out because of that error, means that it's not able to log in With Vista, you have to turn a ton of things off to get it work.

Check these items:

CONTROL PANEL>CLASSIC VIEW>NETWORK AND SHARING

Network Sharing - ON
File Sharing - ON
Public Folder Sharing - ON
Printer Sharing - OFF (this is probably not an important one, so could be ON if you need to share the printer)
Password Protected Sharing - OFF
Media Sharing - OFF (again, this probably doesn't affect the setup)

I would just make sure network, file, public is on and that Password Sharing if off.

Now, go to the folder that you want the scanner to drop the files into. In my scenario, I have a folder named Scans on the desktop. Right click and select properties.

Go to the sharing tab. Click on share, and ADD "everyone" to the list of users that can access the folder. Make the everyone item a co-owner.

The in the same sharing tab, click on advanced sharing options. Make sure share this folder is checked. It will show you the share name (should match up with the Dell 3115cn web interface) then click on permissions. Make sure the EVERYONE group is added. Also, make sure everyone has all three options... read/change/full control set to allow.

In the same properties window of the share folder, click now on security. Find the EVERYONE group again, make sure that EVERYONE is allowed to do everyone one of the options in the security window. Double check advanced.

Finally, close out and save everything.

Go back to the Dell web interface for the computer that you've setup to scan too. No password or username now is required to access that folder. You might want to restart the computer and also restart the printer before trying.

4 Posts

December 5th, 2008 00:00

Morning,

Thanks for the above, I went through it and checked every detail but still no joy.

New things I did note though are, I turned off the enable password box and when I went to send this time it showed login error, I turned the password on again and it scanned the document and went to processing.

As the computer is on a switch do you think that the Server Path migh have something to do with it? I have tried inputting the below

\\PAUL-PC\Paul\Desktop

and

C:\Users\Paul\Desktop

and the share name is Scan.

It seems as though the scanner gets logged in but has an issue in wrtiting to the file but I am really unfamiliar with this so am not sure.

Thanks again for the help,

Paul.

No Events found!