Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 10th, 2007 19:00

Dell 5100cn Ghost Images

My company purchased a Dell 5100cn Printer about a year ago. The printer has approximately 47,000 total impressions on it (Not including the occasional duplex).

In that time I have replaced the imaging drum twice and the transfer roller four times. This shows a usage of about 15,000 impressions for each of the imaging drums (including the original) and 11,750 impressions for each transfer roller. Both numbers are well below that which is stated by Dell. I've also replaced a developer during the time we've had it.

My problem now is that I'm getting ghost images printed on all my pages where there is any substantial amount of color. The ghost image usually shows up twice and based on the offset from the original, Dell says the problem is the Imaging Drum.

Well, I replaced the imaging drum and the ghost images remain. The transfer roller I bought about two weeks ago is now also saying "Replace Soon".

My guess is that another developer (or two) has gone out again and is dumping excessive amount of ink on my drum and roller. I wanted to know what other people think. I'm also curious if other Dell 5100cn users have gone through as many parts as we have.

In general there are lots of things about the Dell that I like, but the reason I originally picked it was the perceived low cost of ownership. This has proven not to be the case. Because we had the printer in storage for some time before we used it, the warranty is now expired and I can get none of the regular Dell support. My boss is also getting tired of paying several hundred dollars in supplies and parts each month.

Please help!

Here is a link to a scanned print showing the ghost images:
http://brameco.com/images/image0-1.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide.

-Derek Williams

4.8K Posts

December 11th, 2007 13:00

TopJester,

Check the condition of the fixing rollers in your system.  This symptom can also be caused when the coating on the heating roller begins to wear out.  It is a non-stick teflon coating and does not last forever.  These rollers cannot be changed individually, since the fixing unit comes as a complete assembly.  Information on removal and replacement of the fusing unit can be found on page 50 of your User Manual.  You can download the manual from this link if needed:

The Dell part number for this fixing unit is N7598.

Steve

Message Edited by BigBrother on 12-11-2007 09:36 AM

5 Posts

September 17th, 2010 02:00

Hi Derek! I know this is an old post, but I just wondered if you managed to fix this problem and if you replaced the fuser to fix it? I am having exactly the same problem and have also replaced the drum unit and transfer roller. :emotion-7:

No Events found!