Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 7th, 2009 14:00

Dell 5100cn Printer is Stuck Saying That it Is Jammed?

My printer keeps saying that it is jammed but I have taken it apart and it has nothing in it. Is there a way to reset all of its sensors.

1.7K Posts

April 14th, 2009 07:00

Well..... are you handy with tools? It's time to start diggin' into the machine.

I've included an image of the parts blowup in this area.

1. Turn off the printer and remove the power cord.
2. Remove the imaging drum unit and set aside
3. Using a #2 Phillips screwdriver (strongly suggest a magnetized tip), remove the 4 "tap screws" that retain the registration assy to the printer chassis.
4. Carefully lift the left side of the registration assy. As you continue to lift the left side, slide the unit left to disengage the gears. Take note of the right side as it's still connected. There may not be enough slack in the wiring and you may need to loosen the wiring from the "hold-downs" so you can stand the regi unit up on the right end. (we want to avoid messing with the connections, if possible).
5. The Regi-sensor and Actuator should now be exposed. The Actuator is item "1" in the drawing and shaded yellow.

If you press the top of the actuator toward the rear of the printer and release, it should freely spring back up-right. You should be able to view into the paper feed slot to see if there are any residual pieces of paper jamming the sensor or actuator.

If/when you put it back together, make sure that any wiring down behind the Registration Assy is completely tucked back into the cable "hold-downs". If not, the drum assy can damage the wiring when you re-insert it into the printer.

1.7K Posts

April 7th, 2009 19:00

An error code would be helpful. There are several sensors in key areas of the paper path. The error code will provide the info needed to localize the area of the jam.

1.7K Posts

April 10th, 2009 14:00

You're saying the LCD on printer does not display an error code, at all ?? If not, the FW on your machine is pretty old.

Does the message cycle? Does it tell you to do anything? i.e., open door, etc.

6 Posts

April 10th, 2009 14:00

Where can I get the error code? Can I get it by logging in from the computer? because the printer screen is completly locked with the  "Jammed" message?

6 Posts

April 10th, 2009 16:00

I guess I didn't look at it very well. The error code is 077-900 and the message is "Open Tray and Remove Paper". Sorry about that.

1.7K Posts

April 13th, 2009 07:00

Did you have a paper jam and perhaps did not get all the paper removed? In other words, if you had a jam and during the removal process, was there any pieces that tore off that you weren't able to retrieve?

This error indicates a Jam in the Registration Sensor. This can be tested using some built-in tests in Diagnostics mode.

How to Enter Customer Diagnostic Mode:
1. Turn the printer power OFF
2. While pressing both the up and down buttons, turn the printer power ON.
3. Release the buttons when “Diagnosing…” is displayed.
4. After diagnosing completes, the display should indicate “Customer Mode” and “ESS Diag”; press down to display “IOT Diag”; then press the Enter button.
5. The display should indicate “IOT Diag” and “Digital Input”; press the Enter button
6. The display should indicate “Digital Input” and “DI- 0  READY”; Press the up button advance to DI-3, press the Enter button.

Initially, the display SHOULD INDICATE "DI- 3  L  0". If it indicates anything else, there is likely a piece of paper preventing the Regi-Sensor from operating properly, or worse, the Regi-Sensor was damaged when the paper was removed.

Here is a diagram of the sensors in the printer, their function and test number.

Here is a diagram detailing how to test the Regi-Sensor. You'll need a small piece of paper; business card should work great.

After you start test DI-3, open the printer using the front latch and drop the door all the way open. Down deep in the center of the printer, you should see two long rollers; one is metal, one rubber surfaced. In front of and under the front roller, there is an area where a business card can be slipped in and out to operate the actuator arm for the regi-sensor. As you move the card in and out, the display should change from H-L-H-L (per each stroke of the card) and the count should increment.

If this doesn't happen, or if the initial display does not indicate "DI-3 L 0"..... the problem is in this area.

Let me know how it goes.

6 Posts

April 13th, 2009 13:00

I got to step 6, but the screen said Digital Input and DI-0 OFF" instead of "READY". Furthermore when I pressed enter on DI-3 it said "H 0" instead of "L 0". I tried putting a business card into the regi-sensor as you suggested,but I am not exactly seeing a slot so I am not sure if I was doing it correctly or not. Nothing was incrementing, but that may be due to the fact that it never said "L 0" in the first place.

6 Posts

April 13th, 2009 14:00

I put a card in as the pictured showed but the screen did not increment or change at all. It doesnt' really feel like the card is going into anything, but I am sure I am putting it in the right place.

1.7K Posts

Apologize for the mistake on step 6, but I see you got there anyway. Initially, it should not indicate "H 0"..... that's a problem.

Look at this image and see if you can observe the top of the regi-sensor actuator in the bracket opening.

This image was taken while running test DI-3 and shows where to insert the business card to test the actuator.

1.7K Posts

As shown in the first image, were you able to see the top of the actuator arm?

How bad was the jam prior to this problem? As I asked in an earlier reply, was ALL the paper removed? (no pieces missing?) Did the paper bind or tear during removal?

6 Posts

April 13th, 2009 15:00

Actually it seemed like I could see clean through that box and see th card I was pushing in. In the picture there is a yellowish square down in there but I didn't see anything like that.

Leading up to this the printer jammed many times and yes sometimes it did rip but I believe I was able to pull it all out. There was no indication that any paper was still in there.

2 Posts

May 18th, 2011 11:00

Hi, just wanted to say thank you for the detailed instructions and the diagrams. I had a deep paper jam similar to the one above and the instruction combined with the diagrams helped me find the teeny piece of paper that was jammed in the registration sensor that had caused my 5100cn to refuse to print. THANK YOU!

3 Posts

July 26th, 2013 06:00

Hi - I have a Dell laser printer 3110cn, with the same error message -077-900 (Paper Jam). However, I cannot see any paper jammed in the machine. Having gone thru' the diagnostics as above I have "DI-2 H 0" as a message. I believe this is the exit sensor? Where is this on my printer, and how can I check it?

Many thanks.

No Events found!