Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 10th, 2010 11:00

Dell 5330dn Firmware update via Web not working

When i try to update the firmware via the web i just get an error stating: Invalid File Name/ Path

anyone else experience issues updating their firmware?

28 Posts

March 15th, 2010 10:00

i'm having the same problem with my 1815dn as well.  also, when i try to run the auto-install utility, it won't find the printer.

5 Posts

March 15th, 2010 11:00

What is the "Auto Install" that you are talking about?

Is it something that is on the printer disc or a download or something?

I go in touch with dell about this and they were unable to solve it, but they mailed me a copy of the disc and said there is a way to update via USB using an app on the disc. I have not yet had time to do this as the unit is in another building from me and remotely managed. It also does not have any computers in the room.

5 Posts

March 21st, 2010 21:00

Yep, having the same issue. Used 3 different browsers (FF, IE 7 & 8, Chrome) with 3 different errors ranging from Invalid file name to Server 500 errors. I would hope that dell could fix this, but unfortunately the fix is probably another firmware update. My only option is to go to each printer and connect directly via USB which is really a royal pain.

I'm open to ANY suggestions. Anything to keep me from running to 20 of these things in 5 different locations all over the city.

5 Posts

March 22nd, 2010 08:00

No, sorry.

Since we only have 4 of the units at the moment we just use the IP Address to access the printers separately . So we never even downloaded the Openmanage software. In fact, i was not even aware of such software until i just read some quick information about it on Dell site moments ago.

I assume since you are looking for alternatives it is not meeting your needs?

5 Posts

Another quick question, you wouldn't happen to use the Openmanage Printer Manager, would you? Only reason I ask is because I figured the firmware updated would fix the issue I'm having with the 5330 printers showing up "unknown" devices.

Or if you have any other management solution suggestions, that would be great as well.

Thanks!

5 Posts

I had no luck, even did a screen share with dell and they couldn't get it to work.

I just bit the bullet and used the local USB connectivity software with an older laptop. It worked fine and was pretty fast too, but if you don't have the printers local to you its definitely an inconvenience.

5 Posts

March 22nd, 2010 19:00

Well, it was working until we started to roll out the 5330 models. It doesn't recognize them as dell printers so they can't be directly managed or monitored. When I last spoke with our dell rep, he said that they're trying to incorporate it into the DMC (Dell management console) so no updates, but I haven't seen anything to that effect. These printers are in lab settings and for some reason when the paper is out, there is no alarm so we needed some way for the attendants to know that the printer was out of paper.

Since the Dell printer manager isn't working, I'm thinking of using the System Center Orations Manager and the Dell add-in pack to manage the printers with better success.

No Events found!