Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 28th, 2009 13:00

Dell 725 Color Inkjet Printer owners thread (W7)

Please follow the instructions below and then tell me what happens.

First, let's make sure your computer has the latest Windows Updates, especially .net framework, needed to run many applications and the latest Java.

Disconnect your printer. Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. Run the patch, a MUST on Vista computers, until it prompts you to restart your computer.

If using Windows 7 also try...Manual Printer Driver Removal

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

XP 64-bit Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

Vista 64-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer(powered on)

***To install drivers, sometimes the file unzips and does nothing. You have to look for the setup.exe file, right click on it, then left click run as administrator***

If using Windows 7, use the XP drivers in the compatibility mode. 

Right click on the setup.exe file, left click properties, left click compatibility. Change the compatibility to XP(Try XP SP3). Then install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect the printer(powered on)

***To install drivers, sometimes the file unzips and does nothing. You have to look for the setup.exe file, right click on it, then left click run as administrator***

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 27th, 2010 09:00

goorambatman,

The trick is to follow the instructions lovated at...

Dell 725 Color Inkjet Printer owners thread (W7)

Using the XP 64-bit drivers in the Compatibility mode, it should work. I just helped another member with this and got it working.

Disconnect the printer.

Download and run the patch(printer cleanup utility) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer is removed.  Manual Printer Driver Removal

Then download the XP 64-bit drivers and install them in the compatibility mode. You'll get a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on)

Links to the patch/drivers can be found at Dell 725 Color Inkjet Printer owners thread (W7)

Rick

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

August 27th, 2010 15:00

As far as I can see there is no way of setting up a Dell 725 to a Windows 7 64-Bit PC.
Yes, it does. PudgyOne helped me with this last weekend. You have to follow his directions exactly. According to my notes, the printer driver that I used was R115637.EXE.

I hope this helps.:emotion-15:

35 Posts

August 29th, 2010 22:00

I've followed those instructions and repeted them numerously and they are not working for me.  I have got the installer to go throught the installation, detect the printer etc but installation finishes with no message of completion (should there be?).  The installer just completes and shuts itself down automatically.  There also appears to be no Dell software installed in the Start > All Programs menu.  The Printer is listed in Devices and Printers as Colour Printer 725 and under the category of Unspecified.  It appears Windows is not recognising it as a printer.  The drivers also don't appear to be installed.

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

August 30th, 2010 06:00

In the list in Devices and Printers, are you able to specify it as your default?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 30th, 2010 17:00

goorambatman,

Your version of Windows 7 64-bit, was your computer purchased with Windows 7 64-bit or did you upgrade your computer to Windows 7 64-bit?

Rick

35 Posts

August 30th, 2010 17:00

no, the computer appears to no longer recognises it as a Printer.  That is why it is listed as an unspecified device.

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

August 30th, 2010 18:00

was your computer purchased with Windows 7 64-bit or did you upgrade your computer to Windows 7 64-bit?

35 Posts

August 30th, 2010 20:00

the computer is not an upgrade, is a clean install of Windows 7 64-bit.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 30th, 2010 20:00

goorambatman,

The desktop/notebook utility and the chipset drivers need to be installed first or the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Install Drivers in Microsoft® Windows® on Dell Systems

If you cannot find Windows 7 drivers, then use the Vista(or XP) Drivers and install them in the Compatibility mode

Not installing the drivers, the USB Ports are not functioning properly causing problems with the printer installation.

Rick

35 Posts

August 30th, 2010 21:00

These are the steps I am taking.

1.  Ran DellCleanUpUtility as Administrator.
2.  Turned off and Disconnected Printer.
3.  Rebooted PC as Prompted.
4.  Downloaded WinXP 64-Bit Drivers (R115590) from here http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R115590&SystemID=PRN_INKJET_725&servicetag=&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=10928&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=1&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=0&libid=40&typeid=-1&dateid=-1&formatid=-1&source=-1&fileid=152463
5.  Right clicked R115590, selected compatibality and selected to run as admin and to run in Win XP SP3 Compatibality mode.  Ran R115590.
6.  Insall program starts and I select Personal Installation.
7.  Program prompts for printer to be plugged in so I plug it in and and installation begins automatically and closes automatically.
8.  Printer is listed under devices and printers in the category unspecified.  The printer is not on the printer list, it does not function.

Chipset drivers and all other drivers are installed and working normally.  The PC is not a Dell, only the printer.

35 Posts

August 31st, 2010 01:00

I must have made a mistake, this time i used the driver software R115637.  But still I get the same results.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 31st, 2010 08:00

goorambatman,

1. Dosconnect printer

2. Run the patch(printer cleanup utility until it prompts you to restart your computer.

3.Restart your computer.

4. Install the drivers in the Compatibility mode. You'll get prompted, the printer is not connected.

5. Conect the printer when prompted

Rick 

35 Posts

September 5th, 2010 22:00

uWas able to successfully install the drivers this time. DellXPCleanUpUtility was not cleaning the old drivers out of my system.  had to go to devives and printers > Right click Dell Colour Printer 725 > Hardware > Properties  and remove the driver that way.

Now I get the following error message when I go to print:

Communication Not Avaliable
The Printer Cannot communicate with the computer.

The printer appears to be fine and windows reports it as being ok except for this.

Have tried restarting both PC and printer.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 6th, 2010 07:00

goorambatman,

The make and model of your computer is helpful.

Are you using a language other than English n the computer? I'm asking because the way color was spelled. If you're in the UK or another country, I'll need to provide a different driver.

Rick

35 Posts

September 6th, 2010 21:00

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         930  @ 2.80GHz, 2801 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 0303, 25/05/2010
SMBIOS Version 2.5
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale Australia
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7600.16385"
Time Zone AUS Eastern Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 6.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 5.99 GB
Available Physical Memory 4.89 GB
Total Virtual Memory 12.0 GB
Available Virtual Memory 9.88 GB
Page File Space 5.99 GB