Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 28th, 2009 13:00

Dell 924 Photo All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Please follow the instructions below and then tell me what happens.

First, let's make sure your computer has the latest Windows Updates, especially .net framework, needed to run many applications and the latest Java.

Disconnect your printer.

Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. Run the patch, a MUST on Vista computers, until it prompts you to restart your computer.

If using Windows 7 also try...Manual Printer Driver Removal

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

Vista 64-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer(powered on)

***To install drivers, sometimes the file unzips and does nothing. You have to look for the setup.exe file, right click on it, then left click run as administrator***

If using Windows 7, use the Vista drivers in the compatibility mode. 

Right click on the setup.exe file, left click properties, left click compatibility. Change the compatibility to Vista(Try Vista SP2). Then install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect the printer(powered on)

***To install drivers, sometimes the file unzips and does nothing. You have to look for the setup.exe file, right click on it, then left click run as administrator***

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Rick

14 Posts

March 7th, 2010 15:00

Hi Rick

Not able to install R121089 as I am getting error messages "Setup cannot run on this machine" even trying to use compatibility mode set to XP or Vista.

You say to

Try the printer removal and installation anyway and see what happens. Remember to install the Vista drivers in the compatibilit mode.

I take it this is the Vista 64 bit driver R148157 set to XP mode.

I have tried this and still printer not working.

Charlie

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 7th, 2010 19:00

Charlie,

The Vista 64-bit drivers should have been installed in the Vista compatibility mode.

Rick

14 Posts

March 8th, 2010 10:00

Hi Rick

Thanks for all your help on the forum.  Before I could try your last suggestion I came across the following from CrashDummy35 on overclock.net and it worked first time.

http://www.overclock.net/windows/581183-dell-924-aio-printer-windows-7-a.html

"Windows 7 64-bit and Dell 924 AIO Printer fix.

#1 If you have previously attempted to install the printer and the installation failed; fully remove the printer drivers. I just uninstalled them. Maybe you could use Driver Cleaner.

#2 Have the correct 64-bit Vista/924 AIO driver on your desktop.. Dell 924 AIO & Vista/7 64-bit driver for anyone who might need it. After 2 days of Googling I must have come across at least 200 posts in regards to this and HP AIO printers.

#3 Right click the R148157 file and go to Properties>Compatibility. Check the box Run This Program In Compatibility Mode>Choose Vista--just plain old Vista.

#4 Go down to where it says Change Settings for All Users (same tab) and click it. Redo the Run In Compatibility Mode:Vista. Hit Apply>Okay. Previous window Apply>Okay.

#5 Do Not Check the Run This Program as Administrator box in either of the two Compatibility tabs.

#6 During the install Run the Installer as Administrator. I know how that sounds...but that's what fixed it.

I had been checking the Run This Program as Administrator during my failed install attempts, on a last-ditch whim I didn't, but, instead, ran the installer as an Admin only and it worked. So weird.... "

Might be of use to other AIO 924 users.

Charlie

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 8th, 2010 11:00

Charlie,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back.

That's what I explained in the first thread. I have no mention on checking the box, run as administrator.

Right click on the setup.exe file, left click properties, left click compatibility. Change the compatibility to Vista(Try Vista SP2). Then install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect the printer(powered on)

Take care,

Rick

2 Posts

March 26th, 2010 15:00

I have a new Windows7 Dell 1558 labtop that would not run my Dell AIO 924 printer.  Thanks for the suggestions regarding installing the Vista 64bit drivers AND changing the compatibility to Vista SP2. It worked like a charm when I followed your instructions.  It prints great and scans.  It even loaded the Dell All-In-One Center for me.  Yeah!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 26th, 2010 16:00

cakekeeper,

Take care,

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 27th, 2010 13:00

denamarie,

Does the printer print a test page, when you install it?

Did you try these tweaks?

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager)

Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign.

Go to each USB Root Hub and right click on it, left click properties, left click power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Restart your computer.

--------------------------------------

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager). Click on Network and then right click on your wireless adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Rick

3 Posts

I have a Dell XPS 400 with Windows XP.  For some reason, i can no longer print.  I get an error pop-up stating "Communication Not Available", etc.  I have gone through numerous troubleshooting steps.  I have used the patch to completely delete the printer and drivers and have reinstalled them as you have laid out in this forum.  Nothing works.  I desperately need to be able to use my printer.  Please help.

3 Posts

I cannot print a test page, no communication. I followed your instructions above. Still no printing.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 28th, 2010 00:00

denamarie,

Did this work before If so, did you try using system restore? If by chance you installed the printer using Windows updates, it will not install properly. Disconnecting the [printer, downloading the patch(printer cleanup utility) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer. Install the XP drivers. You'll get prompted, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on). If the printer does not install, then try a different usb port. If the operating system was reinstalled, then you need to install the drivers in order or nothing will install properly.

How to Install Drivers in Microsoft® Windows® on Dell Systems

Rick

2 Posts

July 9th, 2010 21:00

I am having problems with this process.  I followed everything step by step.  I have Windows 7 Dell, I have installed the drivers multiple times and removed multiple times.  Tried the 32-bit and the 64-bit Vista both.  But every time, after the software installs the error I have is that it cannot find the drivers.  I am looking at the directory with the drivers just fine.  I even tried an update driver from the printer settings and it says it cannot find the drivers.  Has this happened to anyone else?  This is frustrating that Dell doesn't support it's own printers on it's own PCs.  Thanks for any help.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 11th, 2010 11:00

mfloyd10,

Go to start, control panel system. Look and see which operating system you have. If this computer was ipgraded, did you install the drivers in order?

How to Install Drivers in Microsoft® Windows® on Dell Systems

If you cannot find Windows 7 drivers, use the Vista drivers that match your operating system. Vista 32-bit for Windows 7 32-bit and Vista 64-bit for Windows 7 64-bit and install the drivers in the compatibility mode.

Right click on the drivers file, left click properties, left click compatibility. Change the compatibility to Vista. Then right click on the drivers, left click run as administrator.

Rick

2 Posts

July 12th, 2010 20:00

I finally got it working, thanks for your help.  There is one instruction in one of the threads that said - #6 During the install Run the Installer as Administrator.

That was missing from another list of todo, so I didn't do that and it solved the problem.  I figured I had to be doing something wrong as everyone else got it working.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 13th, 2010 10:00

mfloyd10,

Take care,

Rick

August 5th, 2010 23:00

Pudgyone,

I hate to bring up an old thread, but I seem to have a very similar issue.

PC: XPS710 with Windows 7 64bit.
.NET Framework 4.0 installed (no other)

I had this printer working before but had to re-install the OS as the C: drive went bad on me. Here are the steps I've done:

1) disconnected the USB port
2) installed all important and recommended updates
3) rebooted
4) downloaded the Vista64 drivers
5) downloaded the patch
6) ran (as Admin) the patch to remove any existing drivers
7) rebooted
8) ran (as admin) the setup.exe to install the drivers
9) the install screen asks me to connect the USB port
10) I connect the USB port
11) Windows attempts to install its own drivers
12) the install screen never has the "Next" button enabled.
13) Windows tells me the drivers were not found.

It seems like the installer never sees the USB being active. I also made sure, before connecting the printer, no printer drivers were installed by looking into the Device Manager.

Again, I used to be able to print to the 924 printer until I needed to re-install Win7 from fresh. The only thing I can think of, is that Windows update history says there are 5 lines with "DELL - Imaging, Printing - Dell Photo AIO Printer 924". First one succeded, subsequent ones failed. I cannot seem to find a way to uninstall that "recommended update".

I would greately appreciate if you could help. Besides the price of the cartridges, it's still a good printer.

No Events found!