Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 28th, 2009 15:00

Dell 944 All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Follow the instructions below and then tell me what happens.

First, let's make sure your computer has the latest Windows Updates, especially .net framework, needed to run many applications and the latest Java.

Disconnect your printer. Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. Run the patch until it prompts you to restart your computer. The patch MUST be run on Vista machines.

If using Windows 7 also try...Manual Printer Driver Removal

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

Vista 64-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer(powered on)

***To install drivers, sometimes the file unzips and does nothing. You have to look for the setup.exe file, right click on it, then left click run as administrator***

If using Windows 7, use the Vista drivers in the compatibility mode. 

Right click on the setup.exe file, left click properties, left click compatibility. Change the compatibility to Vista(Try Vista SP2). Then install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect the printer(powered on)

***To install drivers, sometimes the file unzips and does nothing. You have to look for the setup.exe file, right click on it, then left click run as administrator***

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 28th, 2009 15:00

Please unplug the printer from the wall. Now remove the power brick from the back of the printer for 60 seconds. Now plug everything back in. This will reset any error messages the printer has. Now open the printer with the power on and the cartridges should go to the center to be replaced. Take out both Dell Series 5 ink cartridges and make sure the tape is off the cartridges and insert both back in and make sure the seat properly and latch. Close the printer and it should print an alignment page. If you still get the error message, please read bleow.

Black cartridge = black side(left side)           Color cartridge = Color side(right side)

Photo Cartridge = Black side(left side)         Color cartridge = Color side(right side)

Dell Series 5 ink cartridges have a sensor in them that cannot be reset. Article on refilling Dell ink cartridges.

Dell Series 5 ink cartridges can be purchased at Staples, Walmart or Dell's Website.

It is also possible to get a new ink cartridge with a bad sensor. Please take it to the place of purchase for a refund or a replacement one.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 13th, 2009 16:00

GB 78,

Start, control panel, system. It should be listed there about your system information.

Rick

2 Posts

December 13th, 2009 16:00

Pudgy,

When I tried to run that patch, I got a "download did not succeed" error message. Also, how do I find out if I have Vista 32 or 64 bit drivers?

Thanks,

GB78

19 Posts

December 21st, 2009 17:00

Rick,   I followed all your instructions.  I downloaded the 32 bit driver for Vista.  I think that did the trick.  Works fine now.  Thanks for your help.

Steve 

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 22nd, 2009 02:00

Steve,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back.

Take care,

Rick

14.4K Posts

December 23rd, 2009 13:00

On the desktop the printer should not be set up as a network printer as it is directly connected to the computer.

When you go to control panel > devices and printers right click on your printer and select printer properties( not the just properties listing) open the ports tab. Right click on the listing for the printer and report what the setttings are.

Also click on the security tab and make sure there is a listing for Everyone and  the propterties for Print is checked.

19 Posts

December 23rd, 2009 14:00

The port setting is USB001 virtual printer port

6 Posts

January 13th, 2010 15:00

I recently tried to use my 944 but the drivers seemed to be corrupt. I found my old disc but my pc does not seem to be recognizing the printer.

The driver and patch links you posted seem dead :( could you check them again please.

I only want to use my 944 as a scanner do i need to buy new ink to reinstall the drivers?

Regards

Marky

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 13th, 2010 19:00

Markey,

Since you did not tell us the make and model of your computer and operating system, these are the basics.

Disconnect your printer.

Run the patch (A printer cleanup utlity) (It downloaded for me), until you're prompted to restart your computer. The patch MUST be run on Vista and Windows 7 machines. Also try Manual Printer Driver Removal

Restart your computer.

Install the proper drivers only. If using Windows 7, install the Vista Drivers in the compatibility mode.

Rick

6 Posts

January 14th, 2010 00:00

Hi i have a dell dimension 3000 running xp.

The download links definitely dont work for me heres where they take me and there is no webpage

http://xserv.dell.com/dm/DownloadManager/DellDriverDownloadManager.application?c=us&l=en&fileid=224494&fileloc=ftp://ftp.us.dell.com/printer/R166228.zip&size=14182056&IsSecure=false

http://xserv.dell.com/dm/DownloadManager/DellDriverDownloadManager.application?c=us&l=en&fileid=144124&fileloc=ftp://ftp.us.dell.com/printer/G9Aweb32944EN.exe&size=38096896&IsSecure=false

Could you maybe upload them somewhere else for me

Regards

Marky

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 14th, 2010 00:00

Marky,

You need to read How to by-pass the Dell Download Manager, This has been a problem for some time. Also try downloading the drivers using Internet Explorer.

Download the drivers in your browser. Do NOT use the Dell Download Manager.

Rick

6 Posts

January 14th, 2010 14:00

Hi Rick cheers for your help i managed to get the files through my browser.

I ran the  patch and restarted the pc and the driver seemed to be installing fine until it asked for this file

http://yfrog.com/3u01142010222616j

I only want to install the printer to use as a scanner do i need ink to finnish the installation when and if i can actually get it to work.

Thanks again

Marky

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 14th, 2010 17:00

bigmarkey,

Disconnect your printer. Download and run the patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. Restart your computer when prompted.

Download the XP Drivers for the 944 Printer.

Install the XP Drivers or use the printer disk to install the drivers. The printer needs to be installed completely in order to be able to scan.

Rick

6 Posts

January 15th, 2010 00:00

I performed all the tasks you ask but it stalled when it looked for that dll file.

ill try it again after the patch with the CD .

Can you confirm if i need ink to 'install completely' i realise i need to install the printer completely but does that require a cartridges with ink in them as i do not have any.

Thanks again Marky

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 15th, 2010 02:00

bigmarkey,

I really cannot answer that. I would think maybe because it asks you to print a test page, but I'm not really sure. I know my printer is a little low on Black and I decided to wait to purchase it as the printer has been idle for a couple of weeks. I know after the printer is installed, pressing the menu button on the printer, makes everything show back up and I can scan with mine.

Rick 

No Events found!