Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 8th, 2013 15:00

Dell 966 AIO on a Network

Hello all... Having a problem connectiing a new Alienware computer to an existing Wireless network Printer.  We have a Dell Desktop, Linksys Router, and Dell 966 AIO Printer.  The printer is hard wired to the Dell Desktop, as is the Router.  The Router is Wireless to 3 other Laptops (Older Dell, Dell Mini Inspiron, and New Dell Alienware), and an iPad.  No trouble connecting to any of the wireless devices, and all work on the network and throughout the house.  The oldest of the 3 Dell Laptops WILL print Wireless.  No matter what we try, we cannot get the Inspiron Mini and the New Alienware to locate the Wireless Printer.  Again, NO TROUBLE with wireless for internet, but Wireless for Printing WILL NOT happen!!!   We can of course hook up a printer and print with a hard connection...but that is not the point of owning a WIRELESS printer!!!   Dell tells me they "cannot help" with Peripherals...Can somebody HELP please...Wits End!!!!!!!

Lisa

4 Posts

April 9th, 2013 08:00

Hello and thank you for your attempt to help.  I solved the problem late last night.  After reading some of your other 966 suggestions to other questions, I updated my Router Firmware and rebooted, Deleted ALL my printer drivers (from all 4 computers!!), cleared the printing cache on all machines, and downloaded the most current printer drivers for all machines.  Then I installed one by one.  First the hardwire (USB) connection to the Network Computer, then installed the printer to the old Dell Laptop using the new driver and the "ADVANCED SETUP" option...then did the other 2 laptops in the same fashion, leaving the newest Laptop for last.  I almost screamed when I clicked the test print button and a page started spooling!!  I now have 4 computers connected to the Network Linksys router and all of them print...1 via USB, and 3 via wireless!!  Thanks again!!!!!!!!!

Lisa

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 8th, 2013 18:00

Lisa,

Printer is wireless and already using the wireless adapter on the printer, correct?

Rick

4 Posts

April 8th, 2013 19:00

Yes...It is a 966 with a 3300 Wireless Adapter installed and in use by 1 computer via wireless, and 1 computer via hard connection

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 9th, 2013 03:00

Lisa,

You can have one or the other but you cannot use both at the same time.

The desktop computer is plugged in to the wireless router for Internet and can print to the printer with no usb cables connected.

Let's start with installing a system.

Make and model of the first system and operating system. 32-bit or 64-bit? If Windows 7 or 8, did the computer come with that operating system or upgraded? Operating system in English?

What virus program and firewall are you using?

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 9th, 2013 09:00

Lisa,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back.

May I ask, why is the first one hardwired? Is this a desktop computer? Is the desktop plugged in to the wireless router using the ethernet cable to connect to the internet? If yes, if you install the drivers, choose newtork, using a wireless print server, the desktop can print/scan with the printer using the wireless adapter and no usb cable needed.

Rick

4 Posts

April 9th, 2013 10:00

Rick.  Yes, the printer is hardwired because it is a Desktop computer...however, I will try the suggestion you have made and try wireless printing from this as well.

Lisa

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

Lisa,

I forgot...

Create a systemn restore point in case you have any issues. That way you can come back to what you have. I don't forsee a problem, but it's a backup plan.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

Lisa,

Install the drivers, choose network and you should see a similar screen...

The desktop can function like the other computers, without a usb cable.

Rick

No Events found!