Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 26th, 2011 20:00

Dell 966 Difficulties

I bought this unit used and downloaded drivers from the Dell website.  No problems downloading after providing the Service Tag number.  A few days ago, I wanted to check for updated drivers.  Now the Dell website tells me that the machine was from outside the U.S.  It wasn't from outside the U.S. two months ago.  What happened?

Installation of software was difficult.  I first installed it on a Windows 7 64-bit system, but I kept getting an error message that one of the files with a .exe suffix stopped working.  After getting the test page to print, I couldn't get anything else to print.

So I installed it on my XP machine, and it worked for printing after multiple "no communication" errors, followed by unplugging and replugging, rebooting, etc.  Then I tried scanning.  It scanned one item.  When I tried scanning again, the software has the "Not responding" error.  Closing and restarting gives the same results.

Is there any solution to all this, or is the software simply ill-designed?  I like the machine, but it's of little use if the software doesn't work.

38 Posts

June 9th, 2011 22:00

As I explained before, I use the Comodo firewall only--the MS firewall is turned off.  The 966 runs on my XP machine, including as a shared printer.  I wanted to run it on my Windows 7 machine, but it appears that it will not happen.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 10th, 2011 03:00

pbjbctox,

It's been a long week.

Share Files and Printers between Windows 7 and XP

Rick

38 Posts

June 10th, 2011 22:00

I'll try disabling the Comodo Firewall and using the Windows firewall instead.  Then I'll try uninstalling MSE and installing something else.  Maybe the driver will install with either of these changes.  If not, it goes onto the XP machine.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 11th, 2011 11:00

pbjbctox,

Had had some people uninstall Comando and everything worked, might be something to try.

Rick

38 Posts

June 14th, 2011 08:00

I uninstalled the Comodo firewall, and this is the third day that the printer has worked.  I tried using the Comodo feature of bypassing certain files, but that did not work.  Now, to find a replacement firewall.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 14th, 2011 09:00

pbjbctox,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back. Sorry to hear you need to look for another firewall. I use Windows Firewall in Vista/Windows 7 machines. I used to use Zone Alarm on my XP machine but no longer use it, so it currently has no firewall installed.

Take care,

Rick

38 Posts

June 14th, 2011 21:00

Thanks for your suggestions.  However, it bothers me that I've had so much trouble with this driver, but have not had any problems of this magnitude with Brother, Samsung, or Citizen printers.  It still looks like a software design issue; if other manufacturers can provide drivers that work with popular firewalls, why cannot Dell do the same?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 15th, 2011 09:00

pbjbctox,

Your Dell Printer was made for Dell by Lexmark. When your printer came out, I'm not sure which operating systems came on your printer disk. As operating system are added, drivers are sometimes/sometimes not, added to be downloaded. Drivers are tested and sometimes it takes time before they can be released. I found that using the earlier versions with Windows 7 and installing the drivers in the Compatibility mode has worked well for many. Dell actually pulled a drivers stating that it didn't work for a certain version of that operating system, so I had to find a work-around. Lexmark has to develope the drivers and then they test them. Then when they're offered to Dell, then run them through tests and this takes time. I actually had to search for 64-bit drivers for each printer because Dell's download pages do not have them listed for all the printers, but they're there.

Virus program and firewalls write their own rules for protection. I have seen one virus program disable the connection becaue the virus protection was out-dated. How are you supposed to update it without a connection? The problems come and go with different virus programs and firewalls. Most of the time the settings stay the same, but if there is a program update, sometimes it wipes out the settings and you have to go back in and change the settings, again. It's not quite as bad a malware removal. With malware removal, what works for one persons system, might not work for another persons system. Many of the virus programs and firewall companies now have forums, to help people with issues, similar to yours. Maybe Comando has a solution? maybe Comando doesn't know there are issues and they might be able to find a solution that works for you.

Rick

38 Posts

November 21st, 2011 08:00

Thought that all issues were resolved.  I had a serious Windows 7 failure and had to do a repair.  After the repair, the Dell 966 shows up as an installed printer, but I cannot print.  I get the usual "cannot communicate" error, and do all the suggested to get it back working.  No success.  I tried the Dell uninstall utility, but, after restarting and trying to install the driver again, I get the option of repairing the existing driver or installing another copy.  If the driver were deleted by the Dell utility, why do I get the repair option?  Regardless of what I do, I get a "printer driver not installed" error.  I use the Windows 7 firewall and Avast antivirus.  

38 Posts

November 21st, 2011 08:00

Oh, yes, one more comment:  When I go to the Dell support pages and put in the service tag number, the 966 is identified correctly, but the site says that there are no drivers available for download.  What happened to the drivers and utilities download page for the 966?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 22nd, 2011 02:00

pbjbctox,

Hopefully your system was restored properly. Follow the instructions below. Since Dell is currently working on the NEW and IMPROVED Drivers and downloads, the printer drivers can not be found, but the link I provide below will get you to the download page.

First run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print jobs from the queue.

Disconnect the printer.

Download and run the patch(printer cleanup utility) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers. Install the proper drivers, if using Windows 7, Vista 32-bit drivers for Windows 7 32-bit or Vista 64-bit drivers for Windows 7 64-bit. Install the drivers in the Vista Compatibility mode

Links to the patch/drivers can be found at...

Dell 966 Photo All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Remember virus programs and firewalls will block communications.

Rick

38 Posts

November 22nd, 2011 19:00

Thanks for your help.  Got things up and running, but Windows 7 recommended XP SP2 compatibility.  That seems to work.

If Dell keeps improving its website, it will become useless.  Why, oh why delete links to printer drivers for operating systems that are still supported and in wide use?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 22nd, 2011 20:00

pbjbctox,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back.

Dell wanted to do something new to drivers and downloads and it's not working correctly. I just heard it may be a couple of days to get straightened out.

Just what is neede for a Holiday and then the weekend.

Take care,

Rick

No Events found!