Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 28th, 2009 19:00

Dell 968 & 968w All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Please follow the instructions below and then tell me what happens.

First, let's make sure your computer has the latest Windows Updates, especially .net framework, needed to run many applications and the latest Java.

I recommend using these  Recommended Wireless Router Settings to get everything to communicate correctly. I have DHCP enabled on my wireless router. I assigned my printer an ip address at the high end of my ip address. (Example: my printer ip address is 192.168.1.149) All the other computer get assigned an ip address automatically. 

Disconnect your printer. 

Un-install your printer.

Also try  Manual Printer Driver Removal

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP/Vista Windows 7 32-bit drivers

Vista/Windows 7 64-bit drivers

All other drivers

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer(powered on)

***To install drivers, sometimes the file unzips and does nothing. You have to look for the setup.exe file, right click on it, then left click run as administrator***

If using Windows 7, use the Vista drivers in the compatibility mode. 

Right click on the setup.exe file, left click properties, left click compatibility. Change the compatibility to Vista(Try Vista SP2). Then install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect the printer(powered on)

***To install drivers, sometimes the file unzips and does nothing. You have to look for the setup.exe file, right click on it, then left click run as administrator***

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Also try reading...

{SOLVED} error message print filter pipeline host stopped working and was closed or {SOLVED} pipeline filter host stopped working and was closed pipline filter host stopped working and was closed

Rick

February 26th, 2010 08:00

Having a problem with that pesky Print Pipeline Filter Error with the AIO 968 running Vista 32-bit (and maybe  64-bit as well)? 

No problem, the fix is easier than you think.

But first a little info about the problem itself.  Apparently, and I can't really confirm this, as I'm not a computer techie, but I can only guess, that for some reason Vista does not load the PnP driver for this printer properly.  And that is, when you first set-up your printer, and you go through all the plug printer in and all that, that Vista fails to load (and activate) the proper printer driver.  And then when you install the Printer software, iincluding the "All-In-One Center" that it loads the XPS driver instead.  Ths XPS driver is not a proper printer driver.  It's basically an enhancment driver of some sort.  I'm not really sure what it does.

But anyway, the fix is simple.  Probably take no more than a minute once you get the process down.  And it's simply "Adding a Printer".

Follow these simple steps:

1)  Go to Control Panel.

2)  Select the Printer option under Hardware and Sound.

3)  Select Add a Printer.

4)  Select Add a Local Printer, then click Next.

Next step is very important

5)  Select the USB001 port (Virtual Printer Port). Click Next.

6)  Scroll through the manufacturers there on the Left and select Dell

7)  On the Right, select the Dell 968 AIO Printer driver..  Click Next.

8)  A Licensing Agreement should pop up.  Accept it.

9)  The computer will then proceed to install that driver with a quick progress bar.  Shouldn't take but a couple seconds.

10)  Once done, just make sure to set this as your Default Printer, then click Finish.

Your 968 printer should now act as it should as a fully functional printer.  In fact, when scanning or printing, you will now see a progress bar box pop up in the bottom right of your screen.  But I will also say this, when you load the All-In-One Center and choose not to remove the XPS driver, you will be asked which printer to use, as you will now have two printers (drivers) installed on that port.

And so I leave you with this...HAPPY PRINTING!!!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 28th, 2009 19:00

If you unplug the printer from the wall and remove the power brick for 60 seconds, this will reset any error messages the printer has. I would then plug everything back in.

Power on the printer. 

Open the printer(with the power on) and take out the Dell Series 7 black cartridge and then reseat it. I would then take out the color Dell Series 7 ink cartridge and reseat it. Now close the printer and it will print an alignment page.

Any error messages?

black cartridge = black side(left side)          color cartridge = color side(right side)

photo cartridge = black side(left side)          color cartridge = color side(right side)

Dell Series 7 ink cartridges have a sensor in them that cannot be reset. Article on refilling Dell ink cartridges.

Dell Series 7 ink cartridges can be purchased at Staples, Walmart or Dell's Website.

It's possible that you got a Dell Series 7 ink cartridge with a bad sensor. Take it back to the place of purchase for a refund or replacement.

Rick

November 30th, 2009 18:00

it didn't work

I am not trying to use it wirelessly

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 30th, 2009 19:00

Marshasoeck50,

First, let's make sure your computer has the latest Windows Updates, especially .net framework, needed to run many applications and the latest Java.

Disconnect your printer. 

Un-install your printer.

Also try  Manual Printer Driver Removal

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Vista 32-bit Drivers

64-bit Drivers <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

All other drivers

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer(powered on)

Rick

2 Posts

March 11th, 2010 15:00

I have a challenge with my printer. It works great, am using it in a wireless environment, due to location of printer.   When wired, one can use the Dell All-In-One Center, which was great, but when I bought a router, as another person needed to use the printer, I have had issues.

I could adjust documents down to 75 dpi, to keep file size under 5mb. If using wirelessly, one has to use the panel on the printer and smallest setting is 150 dpi.  Therein lies the issue. 5 mb is the max file size allowed by corp office, and too many docs when scanned at 150 dpi, are approx 5.5-6 mb. I have to split the documents into multiple docs. . .

I am using with a  Studio 1537, with 64bit Vista. Does anyone know of a method to change settings from the panel on the printer? I've tried everything. I don't want to move the printer, but if I have to, I will. And if go wired,  how do I 'turn off' the wireless functionality, so it uses the USB port?   Thanks. catch22kev

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 11th, 2010 17:00

catch22kev,

I had my Dell 964 Printer set to scan at either 300 or 600 dpi because I scanned picture to my computer. I just checked the last one I scanned and it was 300dpi. The size was 1.87mb.

Let me explain what I did. I scan images to IrfanView you need to read...

Update list of applications to send scans to

In IrfanView, you can then change the dpi to what size you want it. It also allows you to resize by dpi, inches and cm.

If you're trying to scan a document to a PDF, etc...,

I use Open Office and scan them a documents, edit them then export them as PDF's.

Not sure if this helps or not.

Rick

2 Posts

March 12th, 2010 07:00

I will give it a try. Thanks much!

Catch22kev

1 Message

March 14th, 2010 10:00

You are awesome. I have several printers and scanners but ever since I got a new computer installed with Windows 7 NONE of them would work. I followed your instructions to the tee and now I can scan from my Dell. Thanks a ton. I pay for an online fax program and that was doing me no good if I could not scan the documents that I needed to fax! So grateful!:emotion-2:

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 14th, 2010 13:00

ckrife,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back.

As for faxing, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the Fax Folder. In the Fax Folder, right click on setup.exe and left click run as administrator. This will install the Fax program.

Or you can also try using BVRP PhoneTools for Faxing, if you need a fax program.

Take care,

Rick 

8 Posts

March 15th, 2010 13:00

I also tried installing the downloaded Dell drivers under 'Run as Administrator' and in Compatibility Mode (Vista), with my security (AVG) and other extra applications turned off.  The XPS drivers were installed with the printer, but not the AIO drivers, and the printer is unusable -my computer cannot communicate with it.  I've tried unplugging the entire power box from the back of the printer, leaving it disconnected over night to ensure that all problems within the printer were cleared.  Per another comment in a different thread, I looked for the 'USB001 Virtual Printer port', but it doesn't appear anywhere in the dropdown list.  The problem is with a 32 bit Inspiron laptop running WIndows 7 Home Premium.  I have an XPS running Windows 7 Untimate, and the printer installed perfectly on this system.

Curiously, the two different Windows 7s behave differently even when I right-click on the 'Computer' icon on my desktop, and click 'Properties'.  With Ultimate, I get an upgraded interface; with Home Premium, I get an older-looking interface like XP.

If anyone has a different experience with Windows 7 Home Premium, please describe with as much specificity as possible.  Thanks.

Jeff

8 Posts

March 15th, 2010 13:00

Rick,

Thanks for the replies; I have found the thread you refer to, as well as others, and followed the instructions as I’ve sought a resolution.

I have a 64 bit XPS laptop with Windows 7 which installed the printer with no difficulty.  I have a 32 bit Inspiron with Windows 7, which has all the problems I outlined in my forum post.  So, I know that the printer ‘should’ be able to install on a Windows 7 system.  My objective is to get it working on the Inspiron system, as it did before I upgraded from Vista to Windows 7.

The thread does not address the missing USB virtual printer port.  Nor, does it help with turning off Windows auto-detect and downloading/installing while I’m trying to execute the drivers file I downloaded from Dell’s website.

Dell does not identify the driver download from its site as being Vista drivers to be installed in compatibility mode; they’re identified as Windows 7 drivers, to be Saved and then Run, which, as I said, executes a complete printer installation, not just drivers.

So, is there a way to install only the drivers first, as you instructed?

Is there a way to assure proper installation of the Dell 968 AIO Printer drivers, rather than the XPS drivers?

Is there a way to find or reinstall the missing USB virtual printer port?

Is there a way to disable Windows auto detect while I’m installing this printer?

I have uninstalled and reinstalled numerous times, and ensured that the printer is entirely off the system.  I have turned off my security (AVG); I have tried installing in Safe Mode.

I appreciate any suggestions.  I will keep you informed of my efforts and the outcome.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 15th, 2010 14:00

Jeff,

The Inspiron, was an upgrade to Windows 7, correct? The model numbe would help. So you're issue is with the Vista 32-bit system Windows 7.

Did you install the Desktop/Notebook Utility, when you upgraded? If you could not find these for Windows 7, did you install the Vista 32-bit drivers/software in the compatibility mode?

Right click on the drivers file, left click properties, left click compatibility. Change the compatibility to Vista. Then right click on the drivers, left click run as administrator.

Do NOT check the box, run as administrator as it will not work, not even for installing the printer.

Rick

8 Posts

March 16th, 2010 08:00

The 32 bit system which will not install the printer is an Inspiron 1720 with Windows Home Premium.  The 64 bit system which installed the printer satisfactorily is an XPS M1330 with Windows Ultimate.

I also executed a 'Startup Repair' with the Windows 7 Home Premium installation disk.  This did not solve the problem of missing 968 AIO drivers, nor what seems to be the missing UPS100 Virtual Printer port.

Is it possible to install the drivers wtihout connecting the printer via USB cable and powering up the printer?

Is it possible to recover the missing USB100 Virtual Printer port?

Thanks.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 16th, 2010 09:00

jds10011,

I don't have a 968 printer, I took the word from the person that successfully installed it.

You do have me a bit confused. I need some clarification. I know this printer does have wireless capabilities, if you have the wireless card in it. You have three different computers, correct? Is the printer connected to a host computer or the wireless card activated? You're not connecting the printer when you want to print, correct? It sounds like you are trying to install the printer wirelessly. If this is correct, all you need to do is...

On the Inspiron 1720, unisntall the printer, then restart your computer. Make sure the printer was removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

Install the Vista drivers, choose network and follow the instructions.

Right click on the drivers file, left click properties, left click compatibility. Change the compatibility to Vista. Then right click on the drivers, left click run as administrator.

On the Windows 7 machine, was this an upgrade? What is the make and model of this computer? You said...

I also executed a 'Startup Repair' with the Windows 7 Home Premium installation disk.  This did not solve the problem of missing 968 AIO drivers, nor what seems to be the missing UPS100 Virtual Printer port.

The Windows disks do not have the printer drivers.

Rick

8 Posts

March 16th, 2010 10:00

I apologize for your confusion; I'm trying to be as clear as I can about the problem and my attempts to resolve it.

Executing 'Startup Repair' was an attempt to reacquire what seems to be the missing USB100 Virtual Printer port.  On another thread, it was recommended to install to this port; this port IS on my XPS laptop with 7 Ultimate, but not on the Inspiron with 7 Home Premium.

This printer does have wireless capability, but I've never indicated that I've been trying to install it wirelessly.

It has been suggested several times that I should install the drivers before I install the printer, but it has never been explained how it is possible to do this.   If it's possible to install the drivers without installing the printer, as you seem to be suggesting, please provide clear and explicit instructions.

After every unsuccessful attempt to install the drivers or the printer, I unistall them/ it completely, and restart twice.  By the way, when the XPS drivers/printer installs, they/ it does not show up in the list for 'Control Panel/ Programs and Features/ Uninstall'.  I have to uninstall using the original printer disk or by clicking on the downloaded Dell drivers icon on my desktop.

(By the way, the instructions under the Manual Printer Driver Removal thread are not accurate: there is no "Hardware and Sounds".  There is "Programs and Features" under which, as I've said, the Dell 968 XPS does not appear.)

Every time I attempt to install the drivers using the downloaded drivers from the Dell Support site, I am instructed to go through the entire printer installation, which -every time- leaves me with 'Dell 968 XPS Printer' installed, instead of 'Dell 968 Printer AIO'.  The XPS version does not allow me to print from the laptop; these are not the drivers that were installed when I was running Vista on this same laptop.  Windows generates a message saying that the computer cannot communicate with the printer.  So, even if the Windows disks do not have the drivers, Windows is getting the drivers from somewhere, because even if I just connect the printer and power it on, Windows detects it and 'installs' it with the XPS drivers.  This happens WITHOUT even attempting to install the Dell drivers.  And, as I've said before, it happens during installation initiated via the downloaded Dell drivers file or the original disk.

When I attempted to install the drivers/ printer yesterday (Monday 3/15), I did so as Administrator and used Compatibility with Vista.  The result was the same.

I will attempt to install the drivers/ printer wirelessly.

The questions remain:

Can the drivers be installed before installing the printer?

Is the missing USB100 Virtual Printer port an issue?  If so, how can it be reacquired?

Is Windows auto-detect and auto-install an issue?  If so, how can it be turned off?  (Changing 'Settings' does not work.)

I'm curious what the purpose is of having the XPS drivers for this printer; at best, the interface provides very limited printing options.  At worst, the printer doesn't communicate with the computer.

But, let's not go there; it'll only add to the confusion.

Thanks.

No Events found!