Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

MM

November 5th, 2012 05:00

Dell 968 AIO Printer & Optiplex 330 vs Windows 8 Pro

Updated from Windows 7 Home to Windows 8 Pro Upgrade, everything went well until I tried to use the Dell AIO 968 printer.  Got an error message that I should check the cable, did it, no problem.  Would not print, though the printer would initialize. Tried the cable on another computer and connected to the printer. Was able to print, no problems.  No error was reported by Windows 8 during install process.  Are there any fixes or am I going to have to downgrade back to Windows 7 and store Windows 8. 

:emotion-1:

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 5th, 2012 06:00

MI Mike

Moving this thread to the Peripherals/Printers Forum.

Bev.

14 Posts

November 5th, 2012 07:00

The Windows 8 Pro version upgrade scans your computer to determine problems.  The printer problem does not show up.  Everything installs properly. Devices show the the 968 printer is available.  It just does not print.  All the drivers are in place and up to date.  The installation of Windows 8 overlays a Windows 7 operating system that worked.  In fact you can do a dual boot system with WIndows 7 and Windows 8.  Windows 7 works, Windows 8 cause a printer not to print.

I have since uninstalled the Windows 8 Pro. and reinstalled my copy of Windows 7 and everything works.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

MI Mike,

You said...

Updated from Windows 7 Home to Windows 8 Pro Upgrade, everything went well until I tried to use the Dell AIO 968 printer

Was this a Dell comuter or another make and model computer?

What virus program and firewall are you using?

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

MI Mike,

Sorry, I should have read the subject line a little better.

When you installed the operating system, did you install the Desktop/Notebook system software(if applicable) and the chipset drivers first? If not, the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Start with the Desktop/Notebook system software and the chipset drivers and follow the list.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 5th, 2012 09:00

MI Mike,

When an operating system is installed on a Dell computer, installing the drivers in the correct order is important. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

The procedure is...

How To Restore or Reinstall Microsoft® Windows® on a Dell™ Computer

If you wouldn't have uninstalled Windows 8, I would have suggested

For the printer...

First run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print jobs from the queue.

Hit the Windows key and the x keys at the same time, programs and features, Dell 968 printer, uninstall

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer was removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

Download the Vista 32-bit drivers for Windows 8 32-bit or the Vista 64-bit drivers for Windows 8 64-bit. Install the Vista drivers in the Vista SP2 Compatibility mode You'll get a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on).

Links to the patch/drivers can be found at...

Dell 968 & 968w All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Remember virus programs and firewalls will block communications.

Rick

No Events found!