Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 24th, 2012 09:00

Dell 968 AIO, scanning and Windows 7 firewall

Hi, after scanning through many many posts relating to issues with scanning from a 968 AIO unit I couldn't find anything helpful, hence this post. 

The background:-

I have a Dell AIO printer attached to my network via ethernet. I have a Lenovo T500 Thinkpad connected to the same network via ethernet. The Thinkpad is running Windows 7 (64 bit) and is up to date with all security patches, etc. It has Windows firewall running.

I am able to print to the 968 from the laptop without any problems.

The problem is to do with scanning. The 968 recognises the Laptop when I select the scan option. It then tries to download the list of scan applications but will fail after a couple of minutes with the message "cannot retrieve scan applications list from your computer". 

So, I have tried un-installing and re-installing the driver (several times), gone through numerous posts detailing bi-directional port settings and USB stuff. Nothing has worked.

But, if I switch off the Windows firewall it works. This leads me to the possibility that it is Windows firewall that is stopping the scanning process but I can't see any inbound or outbound rules that I can tweak to over come this. All of the applications that seem to be related to printers, All In One Centres, AIOC.exes, Dell Communication systems, Printer Status Window Interfaces, etc. appear to be in place, but there must be something that I'm missing and it is driving me bonkers. I'd switch the firewall off but it's a work system and we're not supposed to and in any case Windows gets insufferable when you do.

So the question is:-

Does anyone have any ideas as to how to configure the firewall in a windows 7 system that will allow a Dell 968 AIO printer to communicate with it?

Many thanks in advance. 

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 24th, 2012 18:00

JonSharp,

Questions are...

Does your printer have a wireless adapter? Antenna in rear of printer?

I had a Dell 964 printer and had to use a USB Cable to connect.

What virus program and firewall are you using?

Try these tweaks...

Start, control panel, device manager.

Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign.

Go to each USB Root Hub and right click on it, left click properties, left click power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Restart your computer.

--------------------------------------

Start, control panel, device manager. Click on Network and then right click on your wireless adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Rick

2 Posts

October 26th, 2012 17:00

Hi Rick

Many thanks for the response.

The thing does have a wireless adaptor but I can't use it, the walls are too think and the wireless signal is practically non-existent where it is sited. Due to space restrictions it is a fair way away from the laptop so a USB connection isn't feasible either so I am stuck with ethernet. As I said in my post it prints fine all the time and will allow me to scan to the Laptop if I turn Windows firewall off so I think that is where the issue lies.

Anyway, I'll try your tweaks and see what happens.

We have Sophos as virus protection and as stated Windows firewall is on. That is about it.

Jon

No Events found!