Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 28th, 2009 20:00

Dell A940 All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Please follow the instructions below and then tell me what happens.

First, let's make sure your computer has the latest Windows Updates, especially .net framework, needed to run many applications and the latest Java.

Disconnect your printer.

Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. Run the patch(a MUST on Vista machines) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

If using Windows 7 also try...Manual Printer Driver Removal

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers 

Vista 32-bit Drivers

Vista 64-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer(powered on)

***To install drivers, sometimes the file unzips and does nothing. You have to look for the setup.exe file, right click on it, then left click run as administrator***

If using Windows 7, use the Vista drivers in the compatibility mode. 

Right click on the setup.exe file, left click properties, left click compatibility. Change the compatibility to Vista(Try Vista SP2). Then install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect the printer(powered on)

***To install drivers, sometimes the file unzips and does nothing. You have to look for the setup.exe file, right click on it, then left click run as administrator***

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 28th, 2009 20:00

Unplug the printer from the wall. Now remove the power brick from the back of the printer. Wait 60 seconds, then plug everything back in. This will reset any error messages the printer has in memory.

Turn the power on. Open the printer and take out the Dell Series 2 black ink cartridge and reseat it. Do the same for the Dell Series 2 color ink cartridge.

Close the printer and it will try to print an alignment page. Any error messages?

Dell Series 2 ink cartridges have a sensor in them that cannot be reset. Article on refilling Dell ink cartridges  

Dell Series 2 ink cartridges can only be purchased at Staples, Walmart or Dell's website.

Black cartridge = black(left side)          Color cartridge = Color side(right side)

Photo Cartridge = Black(left side)        Color cartridge = color side.

It's possible to get a Dell Series 2 ink cartridge with a bad sensor. I would that these back to the place of purchase for a replacement or a refund.

Rick

3 Posts

December 30th, 2009 20:00

it worked great!  thank you so much!  You rock!!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 30th, 2009 21:00

valenzo,

Glad you got it working.:emotion-21: Thanks for posting back.

Take care,

Rick

2 Posts

January 10th, 2010 11:00

Greetings:

The directionsin your posting are very clear and easy to follow. My problem has starts with the patch. The "Patch" is actually an d/l manager. OK...so I d/l it.  Then I discovered that all the drivers are also copies of the d/l manager. I now have 5 copies of the manager, no patches, no drivers and no printer function. I have a new Dell Studio laptop and a Dell a940 all in one and can not print. Any suggestions? Thanks

Peace,
Susinak

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 10th, 2010 16:00

Susinak,

No, the Dell Download Manager is something else. Let's get rid of it.

To use the Dell download manager you must have the Windows .net framework installed (use Windows update).  Though it's not made clear by Dell, you DO NOT need the manager.  Go into your browser settings and delete all Dell cookies (or clear all your browser cache).  Then go back and choose "download using my browser" when you select the file for download.  You will then not need the Dell download manager at all.

Now when you go to download the patch, download it in your browser. Try using Internet explorer to do this.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 11th, 2010 15:00

Susinak,

Now that's not a very nice thing to say about yourself, you got your printer working, didn't you?

Glad you got it working. :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back.

Take care,

Rick

2 Posts

January 11th, 2010 15:00

Hi Rick,

Ok..it took me a while since I'm not the sharpest knife in the Dell drawer, but I got the driver I needed and now my printer functions and I'm a happy camper. Thanks for your help.

Peace,

Susinak

2 Posts

February 8th, 2010 13:00

Rick, You are amazing. It worked incredebly well. I've been looking to get all the pieces together for months. You live close by, I should buy you lunch one day. Thank you,

Eduardo

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 8th, 2010 14:00

Eduardo,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21:Thanks for posting back.

Take care,

Rick

1 Message

March 1st, 2010 08:00

Thank you so much!  It worked!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 1st, 2010 09:00

lyl,

Glad you got it working. Not quite sure what worked, but thanks for posting back.

Take care,

Rick

2 Posts

April 28th, 2010 20:00

Thank you so much!!  The Vista 64-bit driver works with Windows 7 on my Toshiba laptop & Dell AIO A940 printer.

You saved me from having to buy a new printer...  for now...  although the cost of ink is ridiculous!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 29th, 2010 02:00

piano22,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back.

Sorry I can't help you with the ink. Some generic cartridges do work and some don't I have been using the high capacity cartridges and they seem to last longer for only a couple of dollars more.

Take care,

Rick

5 Posts

July 17th, 2010 08:00

The printer is working in Win7 Ultimate 64bit, thanks. But the Dell All-In-One Center is not appearing after following all the instructions, tried all Vista compatibilities, couldn't find it manually too. So there is no way to use its scan portion. Only generic scan is available, with very limited options.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

2 Posts

July 17th, 2010 17:00

Try the following:  Click on 'Start', 'All Programs', 'Dell Printers', 'Dell AIO Printer A940' and Dell All-In-One Center should be listed.

No Events found!