Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 4th, 2012 19:00

Dell A940 All-in-One Printer Black Ink Not Printing

My A940 color cartridge seems to work fine, but black cartridge, though it shows full to the top, doesn't seem to print black only, either as Black Copy, or printing out images or documents from the desktop with color turned off from the Preferences panel. 

The printer will print black but it seems to be drawing on the color cartridge only to make black.  I've switched out the full existing Dell black cartridge and slipped in a brand new Dell one, then run the three tests -- Self-Test, Cleaning, and Alignment.  The Self-Test and Alignment each show one black stripe; the Cleaning test shows only multiple color stripes, no black stripe at all.

The color and new black cartridge are two years old, but the airtight packaging of the new black cartridge was broken only several days ago.  The color cartridge was unpackaged this last June, six months ago and, while 3/4ths depleted now, is working fine.

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

December 4th, 2012 22:00

Hi Constellation2,

The problem seems to be with the cartridge holder (print head), to confirm that, check if there is ink blocked on the print head, please clean the print head of the printer with a lint free cloth and try a new black ink cartridge, try aligning and cleaning the ink cartridges and make a copy from the printer. 

If the problem persists the printer needs to be replaced.

In case the printer has active warranty, please private message the system service tag, contact number and registered owner’s name. 
To private message, accept my friend request; click on my user name and click start conversation. 

To check the Warranty status use this link:  http://tinyurl.com/5r4b8j

In case of expired warranty scenario, we would be able to provide limited support, which will not cover parts replacement, software support and onsite technician.

Please try the above steps and reply.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 5th, 2012 03:00

Constellation2,

Start, control panel, devices and printers, click on your printer, printer preferences, advanced, more options

Make sure the complete-a-print boxes are unchecked.

Rick

December 5th, 2012 18:00

Thank you, Nikhil.  I'll try those.

December 5th, 2012 18:00

Thank you, Rick.  Mine is a Dell A940 printer.  Are those instructions for a 964 printer only?  I'm not finding the Complete a Print options.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 7th, 2012 02:00

Constellation2,

Make sure the printer preferences says, use all available ink

Rick

1 Message

August 25th, 2013 15:00

Rick,

I can't find the 'use all available ink' in my printer preferences. Where can I find it?

Thanks,

Mike

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 25th, 2013 16:00

Mike,

Start, control panel, devices and printers, click on your printer, printer preferences.

Make sure the box, print in black and white is not checked.

Click on advanced, more options. Make sure the complete-a-print boxes are unchecked.

Rick

No Events found!