Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 28th, 2009 20:00

Dell A960 All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Please follow the instructions and then tell me what happens.

First, let's make sure your computer has the latest Windows Updates, especially .net framework, needed to run many applications and the latest Java.

Disconnect your printer.

Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. Run the patch, A MUST on Vista machines, until it prompts you to restart your computer.

If using Windows 7 also try...Manual Printer Driver Removal

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers. Only download the drivers you need.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

Vista 64-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer(powered on)

***To install drivers, sometimes the file unzips and does nothing. You have to look for the setup.exe file, right click on it, then left click run as administrator***

If using Windows 7, use the XP drivers in the compatibility mode. 

Right click on the setup.exe file, left click properties, left click compatibility. Change the compatibility to XP SP3. Then install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect the printer(powered on)

***To install drivers, sometimes the file unzips and does nothing. You have to look for the setup.exe file, right click on it, then left click run as administrator***

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Rick

1 Message

February 1st, 2010 05:00

Thanks for your hints, which helped me to solve the A960 Win 7 (64bit) problem.

But in my case the following worked, and that is somewhat easier:

1. If you plugged in your A960 in the USB slot hoping windows 7 would provide the right driver via windows update: Just remove the printer in control panel > printer > rightclick the printer > remove device.

2. No need to use the dell cleanup utility. No need to uninstall under "uninstall software" since it wouldn't show there if the wrong driver was installed by windows automatically (but if you installed a wrong driver manually you may have to).

3. Download the Vista 64-bit Driver R153052.exe (or 32 bit if applicable), links see PudgyOne's post 28 Nov 2009 10:32PM.

4. Install the driver: clicking the R153052.exe first extracts the files to e. g. C:\dell\drivers\R153052. Then rightclick the setup.exe in that folder and change compatibility to Windows Vista Service Pack 2.

That worked perfectly in my case ...

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 28th, 2009 20:00

If you unplug the printer from the wall and remove the power brick for 60 seconds, this will reset any error message the printer has. Then power on the printer and open it up. Try taking out the black Dell Series 2 ink cartridge and reseat it. Do the same for the color cartridge. Close the printer and it will try to print an alignment page.

Any error messages?

black cartridge = black side(left side)          color cartridge = color side(right side)

Photo cartridge = black side(left side)          color cartridge = color side(right side)

Dell Series 2 ink cartridges have a sensor in them that cannot be reset. Article on refilling Dell ink cartridges.

Dell Series 2 ink cartridges can be purchased at Staples, Walmart or Dell's Website.

It's possible to get a Dell Series 2 ink cartridge with a bad sensor. I would that these back to the place of purchase for a replacement or a refund.

Rick

3 Posts

December 31st, 2009 10:00

Hi Rick,

I ahve read the notes, and done all the steps. I have deinstalled, reloaded, and run the patches and drivers. Still when it tries to find the printer, it says it is not connected.

This is the third time i have tried all these steps.

I am running Windows XP not vista.

What is the .net btframework? And where can i find this update.

thanks for the help

Gingerbird

2 Posts

January 14th, 2010 13:00

Hey Rick, I really appreciate your help in this forum. I've got an A960 AIO. Everything works except the color ink cartridge. I've cleaned it and everything. The printer still recognizes the cartridge as being full but it just simply won't print. When I first got the cartridge, it printed a test page perfectly. I was able to print in color for maybe 3-4 pages, afterward it refused to print. If you can help in this matter, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 14th, 2010 17:00

mwhj79,

Can you copy a document when you put it under the glass? B&W and color?

Rick

2 Posts

January 14th, 2010 18:00

Yep, I can copy just fine. . . but only in B&W.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 14th, 2010 19:00

mwh79,

Looks like the Dell Series 2 ink cartridge has a bad sensor in it. Take it back to place of purchase for a replacement.

If you unplug the printer from the wall and remove the power brick for 60 seconds, this will reset any error message the printer has. Then power on the printer and open it up. Try taking out the black Dell Series 2 ink cartridge and reseat it. Do the same for the color cartridge. Close the printer and it will try to print an alignment page.

Any error messages?

black cartridge = black side(left side)          color cartridge = color side(right side)

Photo cartridge = black side(left side)          color cartridge = color side(right side)

Dell Series 2 ink cartridges have a sensor in them that cannot be reset. Article on refilling Dell ink cartridges.

Dell Series 2 ink cartridges can be purchased at Staples, Walmart or Dell's Website.

It's possible to get a Dell Series 2 ink cartridge with a bad sensor. I would that these back to the place of purchase for a replacement or a refund.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 25th, 2010 20:00

otosh,

First try...

Delete Print Jobs

Disconnect the printer. Uninstall the printer, try using the patch. Then make sure the printer is gone. Manual Printer Driver Removal

Restart your computer.

Try installing the drivers in the compatibility mode.

Right click on the drivers, left click properties, compatibility mode. I would try Vista SP2 first. If that did not work, then try installing using the XP mode. It can be hit and miss. I do NOT have any confirmed members that have sucessfully installed this printer on Windows 7. But Windows 7 is supposed to be backward compatible, so that's more reason to try the different compatibility modes. I notices that some of the drivers for some of the printers the XP and Vista drivers are the same, just different for 32-bit and 64-bit systems. If you have a 32-bit system and it doesn't install, maybe try the 64-bit drivers.

Keep me posted if you get it to install.

Rick

4 Posts

January 25th, 2010 20:00

Hi Rick,

I also have a Dell A960.  I recently upgraded to Windows 7 (home premium, 64 bit) and have not been able to get the printer to work since. 

I have tried the above steps.  First off, I don't believe the old driver was completely removed by the patch linked by "this patch" in your thread (R166242.zip which contains DellCleanUpUtility.exe).  When I went to install the 64 bit vista driver as you propose (R153052.exe) it asks do I want to repair (recommended) or install another copy.  After several tries both ways I only had partial success.

It claims to have installed.  I am able to print one job.  Then it can't delete the job when it is done printing.  It hangs there forever.  Just says "Deleting - Printing" under status.

Any ideas of what to try next?  I am ready to throw the thing out the window.  Unfortunately I need it to work instead...

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

4 Posts

January 25th, 2010 22:00

Rick,

deleted the job successfully - thanks (notepad, admin, restart)
unplugged the usb plug
uninstalled printer using control panel --> programs and features --> uninstall or change a program
computer said to restart so did that next
next ran the patch (DellCleanUpUtility.exe run as administrator)
that claimed to be successful and asked me to restart so did that next
did the steps on manual printer driver removal (start-controlpanel-hw/sound-view devices and printers-it wasn't listed therefore no need to restart again).
tried xp driver (R69636.exe, right click on it, go to compatibility, click run as compatibility for xp sp3 & click run as admin, then right click on it again and run as admin)
didn't work
said (skipping some words):
"unsupported 16-bit application
The program or feature...cannot start or run due to incompatibility with 64-bit versions of Windows..."

I will retry windows vista 64 bit SP2 again tomorrow (I'm pretty sure I did all these steps when i tried it first but I'll try again to be sure)

I hope to post again tomorrow night.

Thanks,

Otosh

4 Posts

January 26th, 2010 05:00

I think I got it!

continuing from last post...

with printer usb unplugged
checked control panel --> programs and features --> uninstall or change a program: not listed this time (since it didnt install with the xp attempt)
next ran the patch again (DellCleanUpUtility.exe run as administrator)
that finished & did restart
did the steps on manual printer driver removal (start-controlpanel-hw/sound-view devices and printers-it wasn't listed therefore no need to restart again).
tried  64 bit driver again (R153052.exe, right click on it, go to compatibility, run as compatibility for XP sp3 & click run as admin, then right click on it again and run as admin)
that unpacks files, do the same thing for the setup.exe file it unpacked
install asked me to plug in usb & did that (with printer off), it automatically continued install
it claimed success
printed test page
that worked (& it deleted its job when done this time)
printed test page from ms word
success! it printed and deleted its job when done this time!
looks like basic printing is working!
I'll test other functions tonight I hope...

Thanks for your help!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 26th, 2010 07:00

otosh,

GREAT JOB! :emotion-21: Glad you got it working. Thanks for posting back.

Keep me posted to make sure it works.

Rick

4 Posts

January 26th, 2010 19:00

Tried scanning - success (I didn't need to do any other steps).

So - seems to be complete success!

Thanks for your help!

Otosh

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 26th, 2010 19:00

Otosh,

So installing the drivers in the XP SP3 compatibility mode works, correct? If so, I will make sure this information is passed on.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 1st, 2010 12:00

wuergler,

Thank you for sharing this information. I have marked your answer as a verified answer, that way when others try to install their Dell A960 Printer, they can see what you did to get the printer working.

Take care,

Rick

No Events found!