Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 6th, 2012 15:00

Dell AIO 926 won't print, clean Win7 Install, worked once

I am having trouble with a Dell 926 printer. I downloaded R150575, which is what the Dell site suggested for Win7 64-bit.

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/usgen1/DriverDetails/DriverFileFormats?DriverId=R150575

I just installed the OS today followed by all the windows update patches. I have installed very little other software. After downloading the Dell driver, I extracted the zip and installed the driver via device manager. Then the Dell printer install tool appeared and did it's thing. Printer prints successfully.

I typically like to install driver-only without additional proprietary software, so I removed everything (Dell software & drivers) and was back to square 1.

I tried to install again through device manager without allowing the Dell tool to install additional software. When I cancelled, the Dell tool removed the drivers also. At this point I understand that I cannot easily install the driver without the additional software.

So that's fine, I will just install everything again and just use the printer. But when I install everything again, the printer will not work. I get this dialog saying "Communication Not Available". The scanner works fine.

Bidirectional printing is enabled, and port is USB003. Previously it was USB002. Maybe it was USB001 the first time when it was working? Well when I select USB001 it doesn't help.

Don't know what else to do at this point. Looking for some expertise!

By the way, I have tried removing all of the USB controllers from device manager and rebooting to allow windows to restore all of this. Still nothing.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 6th, 2012 15:00

GrandPixel,

Let's back up a little. You said...

I just installed the OS today followed by all the windows update patches

Make and model of the computer and operating system is helpful. 32-bit or 64-bit?

What virus program and firewall are you using?

Rick

8 Posts

July 6th, 2012 16:00

Thanks for reply...

Windows 7 64-Bit as mentioned

built-in firewall but tried disabling already

anti-virus is ms security essentials

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 6th, 2012 16:00

GrandPixel,

If you recently installed/reinstalled the operating system, the desktop/notebook system utility and the chipset drivers need installed first or the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

First run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print job in the queue.

Disconnect the printer.

Download and run the patch(printer cleanup utility) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer is removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

Download the Vista 64-bit drivers for Windows 7 64-bit. Install the Vista drivers in the Vista Compatibility mode
 You'll get a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on).

Links to the patch/drivers can be found at...

Dell 926 Photo All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Try reading...

Allow Printer past Microsoft Essentials

Rick

No Events found!