Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 11th, 2009 13:00

Dell AIO 942 and SP3

After repeatedly trying the patch and reinstalling drivers, I finally unloaded Service Pack 3 from Dell 2400 Windows XP and got the AIO 942 working again w/out errors. However, now other programs are telling me I need SP3 to function properly. Can the AIO 942 somehow live harmoniously with SP3? Thanks.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 11th, 2009 14:00

mgmiller33,

After you install SP3, then restart your computer. Now follow these instructions below and the printer should install for you. If you have any error messages and/or issues, please post back. Also please include your make and model of your computer, I know it's XP SP3.

Please try re-installing the printer this way and then tell us what happens. Please make sure your computer has all the Windows Updates, especially .net framework, which is needed to run many applications. Also make sure you have the latest Java.

Disconnect your printer. Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer.  Run the patch until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit drivers

Vista 64-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect the printer(powered on)

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 11th, 2009 16:00

mgmiller33,

Sorry, link has been updated.

http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us

Please do NOT install the driver from Windows Updates, It may or may not be the correct driver but in will probably get installed wrong, causing more problems. The instruction above will get the printer installed for you.

Rick

4 Posts

March 11th, 2009 15:00

I'll try and let you know results. Thanks!

4 Posts

March 11th, 2009 16:00

While checking for Windows Updates, I ran across this driver update. However, the last link (winqual.microsoft.com) doesn't work. Is there a driver update for the AIO 942 more recent than the 2005 version that you're aware of?

Dell Inkjet Drivers - Printers - Dell Photo AIO Printer 942
Date last published: 8/18/2008
Download size: 16.7 MB
Dell Inkjet Drivers Printers software update released in August, 2006
System Requirements
Recommended CPU: Not specified.
Recommended memory: Not specified.
Recommended hard disk space: Not specified.
Get help and support
http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=hub
More information

4 Posts

March 11th, 2009 21:00

Printer is functioning perfectly (crossed fingers), even with Word! Thanks VERY much for your help.

Marlene

P.S. I did need .NET and Java installed. I also installed the driver from the Windows Updates before you told me not to (too impatient to wait), but I think your patch took care of it.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 12th, 2009 02:00

Marlene,

GREAT JOB!:emotion-21: Glad you got it working. Yes, the patch removed the drivers that you installed by error. Just make sure you do NOT update the drivers using Windows Updates. I have seen many a device malfunction because Microsoft either offered the wrong drivers and/or the drivers got installed wrong causing problems.

Could you mark the verify answer(s) that helped you solve your problem, so if someone else searches the forums, they can see what you did to fix your problem(s).

Thanks,

Rick

No Events found!