Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 28th, 2011 19:00

Dell AIO 948 Cartridge Issues

I have had this printer for a year now - bought it new and have never had any issues. Recently, however, I bought a new color cartridge (a few weeks ago) and for some reason the printer would sometimes tell me that it didn't recognize the color ink cartridge. I would restart the printer and everything would be peachy. It never registered that I had a color cartridge, but it would print in color nonetheless with a simple restart. That worked until a few days ago when I just stopped being able to print in color all together. So I was thinking it was the new color cartridge and I was going to return it. The printer still recognized my black cartridge. Okay, I thought, so I can still print the important things. I'll live, return/exchange the cartridge, and life will go on. Or so I thought. Today, the printer decided that it didn't like either cartridge and won't print anything. Period. No test pages. Nothing. I really don't want to buy a new one. I really like this one and would like to fix it ... as opposed to getting out the good old hammer and whacking it one. Suggestions????

3 Posts

March 29th, 2011 10:00

No, that did not fix it. I understand that one can buy an ink cartridge with a bad censor. And initially I thought that was the problem. However, as I stated previously, the printer began to no longer recognize the blank ink cartridge that was previously working. Just to make everyone happy, I just put in a new black cartridge - that it also does not recognize. I'm at a loss here. The exact message is "Cartridge error. Consult users guide."  Further suggestions???????

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 29th, 2011 10:00

coffeechic,

Are you using Dell Series 11 ink cartridges?

Unplug the printer from the wall. Now remove the power brick from the back of the printer. Wait 60 seconds, then plug everything back in. This resets any error messages the printer is getting.

Open the printer with the power on and remove the Dell Series 11 black ink cartridge and make sure the tape is off the cartridge, then reseat the cartridge back in. Now do the same for the Dell Series 11 color cartridge. Now when you close the printer, it should print an alignment page. Any error messages?

Black = Black side(left side)          Color = Color side(right side)

Photo = Black side(left side)         Color = Color side(right side)

Dell Series 11 ink cartridges have a sensor in them that cannot be reset. Article on refilling Dell ink cartridges.

Dell Series 11 ink cartridges can be purchased at Staples, Walmart or Dell's Website.

It possible to get a Dell Series 11 Cartridge with a bad sensor. Take back to place of purchase for a replacement.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 29th, 2011 12:00

coffeechic,

Usually if a cartridge is bad, replacing it with a new cartridge usually fixes the problem. What did the users guide say to try?

These are Dell Series cartridges and not generic or refilled cartridges, correct?

Rick

3 Posts

March 29th, 2011 15:00

Yes, they are the dell ink cartridges. Series 11. The users guide says to check the cartridges for tape removal and re-install them. Obviously, this doesn't work for my printer.

1 Message

December 27th, 2013 15:00

Coffeechic,

Did you ever figure out how to fix that problem with the message "Cartridge Error.  Consult User's Guide"?

My 948 is doing the exact same thing and I have tried all I can think of.  I am at a loss here.

Thanks!

1 Message

January 1st, 2014 07:00

Hi there My dell 948 is also showing cartridge error. According to the user manual there are problems with the ink cartridges, I'm wondering if it's because the cartridges I installed a couple of months ago aren't the original dell ones but I don't want to spend £50 replacing them if it's not that. Are yours originals?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 1st, 2014 11:00

Glampuss,

Dell Series 11 ink cartridges have a sensor in them that cannot be reset. Article on refilling Dell ink cartridges.

Some generic cartridges will work and some won't. When using generic and refilled cartridges, the printer will almost always give the error message. If the printer stops working, then first thing to try is replace the ink cartridges with Dell Series 11 ink cartridges.

Rick

No Events found!