Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 9th, 2009 06:00

Dell AIO 962 printer

I noticed that Dell has listed specific printers that  have updated Windows 7 drivers available for them, there is also a list of printers that DO NOT have new drivers.

I have the above mentioned 962 and just upgraded to Windows 7-unfortunately not compatible. Will this printer have a new driver made available for it for use with Windows 7??, or do I go buy a new printer.

3 Posts

November 9th, 2009 06:00

Same problem w/ no driver for 962 under windows 7...hope Dell doesn't plan to orphan us.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 9th, 2009 07:00

tlr457 and jerryvov,

You aren't going to give up, are you?

Try following the instructions below and then tell me what happens. Try using the Vista drivers in the compatibility mode, explained below.

Make sure your computer has the latest Windows Updates, especially .net framework, needed to run many applications and the latest Java.

Disconnect your printer.

Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer.  The patch may or may not work, if it doesn't work, then Manual Printer Driver Removal will be needed. I'd double check and make sure the drivers are gone before proceeding.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Vista 64-bit Drivers

Right click on the setup.exe file, left click properties, left click compatibility. Change the compatibility to Vista. Then install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect the printer(powered on)

***To install drivers, sometimes the file unzips and does nothing. You have to look for the setup.exe file, right click on it, then left click run as administrator***

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Rick

November 12th, 2009 07:00

I'm trying to help my father get his 962 working again after we upgraded his machine to Windows 7 Home Premium.  He's not nearby, so I'm trying to keep it simple.  While I appreciate the idea of trying to get the Vista drivers to work, I'd rather wait for Dell to issue Windows 7 drivers that have been tested and designed to work with Win 7. 

The printer compatibility chart was updated on 11/10 (two days ago, as of this post), so it appears that Dell has been working on making drivers available.  Unfortunately, the 962 is listed as not compatilble with Win 7.

Has Dell made any commitment to have drivers available in the near future?  I know I can't expect an exact date, but it would be nice if Dell would say something like "Coming Soon" under the 962 Printer FAQ. I would define "Coming Soon" as within the next 30 days.

If my father can no longer wait, I'm going to suggest a printer with lower maintenance costs.  (Probably NOT a Dell.)  However, he'd be happy to continue using the printer he's paid for and it would be a shame to discard a printer that worked perfectly fine prior to the Windows 7 upgrade.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 12th, 2009 16:00

BullishDad,

I suggest the method below. If the patch does not run, you might have to do this.  Manual Printer Driver Removal Then install the Vista drivers in the compatibility mode.

Please follow the instructions below and then tell me what happens.

Make sure your computer has the latest Windows Updates, especially .net framework, needed to run many applications and the latest Java.

Disconnect your printer.

Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. Run the patch, a MUST on Vista machines, until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Vista 64-bit Drivers

Right click on the setup.exe file, left click properties, left click compatibility. Change the compatibility to Vista. Then install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect the printer(powered on)

***To install drivers, sometimes the file unzips and does nothing. You have to look for the setup.exe file, right click on it, then left click run as administrator*** 

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 12th, 2009 19:00

BullishDad,

Can you copy a document when you put it under the desk? B&W and Color?

Unplug the printer from the wall. Noe remove the power brick from the printer for 60 seconds. This will reset any error message the printer is getting. Plug the printer back in.

Turn on the printer. Open up the printer and take out the black cartridge and reseat it. Do the same for the color cartridge. Now close the printer and it will print an alignment page. Any error messages?

If you still get the error message, then it's possible that the sensor in the Dell Series 5 ink cartridge is bad. If this is a new Dell Series 5 ink cartridge, then take it back to the place of purchase for a replacement or refund.

black = black side(left)                               color = color side(right)

photo cartridge = black side(left               color = color side(right)

Dell Series 5 ink cartridges have a sensor in them that cannot be reset. Article on refilling Dell ink cartridges.

Dell Series 5 ink cartridges can be purchased at Staples, Walmart or Dell's Website.

It's possible to pirchase a Dell Series 5 ink cartridge with a bad sensor. Please take it back to the place of purchase for a replacement.

Rick

November 12th, 2009 19:00

Rick, thanks for your assistance.

My father was willing to try so I had him run the DellCleanUp Utility and took him thru the steps to install the driver in Vista compatibility mode.

We had high hopes when it looked like the progam installed properly and the alignment and test pages printed out.  However, when my father tried to print an email, he got three blank pages.  I had him reboot the machine and he then tried to print from MS Word.  Unfortunately, he got more blank pages.  At this point I gave up and told him to run the CleanUp again, and we'll wait to see if Dell makes a Win 7 driver available, or he'll get a new printer.

3 Posts

November 13th, 2009 11:00

The patch didn't fix anything...what it did do was screw up my verizon wireless ability to load...now I get recurring "error 1720" messages along with "Invalid root in registry key" HKey_Local_Machine\software\microsoft\Windows\currentversion\run\systray" line 7 column 5.

Also, there is this: Custom action Setrunkey.exe script error 2147024891 wshell.regwrite

Now the window that tells me the current status of my wireless tells me nothing...all the text content is gone.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 13th, 2009 17:00

jerryvov,

I stated that the patch may or may not work. No one has posted back with any issues.

Use system restore to get your system back to the way it was. Then you'll need to Manual Printer Driver Removal and restart your computer.

When installing the Vista Drivers...

Rick

1 Message

December 19th, 2009 00:00

Thanks for the help ,.. but i tried doin exactly what you said but it didnt work for me .. as soon as i plug in the printer windows 7 automatically downloads the updated driver !! is there a way to stop it ? or to go around it ? and when the driver is finished downloadin ...  the vista version program download doesnt read it , i tried pugging it in and out several times ... !!! is there another problem with the printer or something esle....

thank you

Kenny

No Events found!