Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

August 20th, 2009 19:00

Dell Photo 944 Printer not communicating with computer

I've tried rebooting both computer and printer, checked all connections and re-installed the driver and still get the "scan unsuccessful" message. My computer is a Dell Dimension 2400 running windows XP, and the scanner worked last time i used it about 6 weeks ago, any suggestions??

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 20th, 2009 22:00

jondad007,

Please follow the instructions below and then tell me what happens. Connected with a USB cable, correct?

First, let's make sure your computer has the latest Windows Updates, especially .net framework, needed to run many applications and the latest Java.

Disconnect your printer. Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. Rin the patch until it prompts you to restart your computer. The patch MUST be run on Vista machines.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

Vista 64-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer(powered on). Please use a 6ft or smaller USB Cable.

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Rick

4 Posts

September 30th, 2009 18:00

Hello Pudgy One,

Like some other users I too am having problems with my Dell Photo 944 NOT communicating with my computer. I am using a Dell 4600 with Windows XP Home edition.  I have tried to follow the instructions to fix the problem (disconnect the power cable, usb cable, restart computer, unplug and plugin to a different outlet,etc.) 15 times to no avail. I have also tried to uninstall the printer software and re-install 3 times, but still no avail. I have tried to change usb ports at back of computer, but still nothing. Nothing I do seems to work! I see that you suggested to another user that they download a patch, well when I went to download the patch you suggested, in both IE and Firefox, the page won't load. I am completely out of ideas and am hoping you may be able to point me in the right direction.

Thanking you in advance Sir,

Doug

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 30th, 2009 19:00

Doug,

First, let's make sure your computer has the latest Windows Updates, especially .net framework, needed to run many applications and the latest Java.

You need to disconnect the printer. Then download and run the patch until it prompts you to restart your computer. Restart your computer. Install ther proper drivers. The drivers sometimes sits there, depending on the operating system. You have to look for the setup.exe file, right click on it, then left click run as administrator, then follow the instructions. When installing the drivers, you should see it say the printer is not connected. At this time you connect the printer(powered on) If it does not install, try different USB Ports.

The download link for the 944 patch. The patch is a 944 printer cleanup utility. I just tried to download it and the link does work.

Download the file in your browser. If you already tried the download manager, then...

To use the Dell download manager you must have the Windows .net framework installed (use Windows update).  Though it's not made clear by Dell, you DO NOT need the manager.  Go into your browser settings and delete all Dell cookies (or clear all your browser cache).  Then go back and choose "download using my browser" when you select the file for download.  You will then not need the Dell download manager at all.

Rick

4 Posts

September 30th, 2009 20:00

Thanks SO MUCH RICK!

I was panicking because I am in college and I needed to use the scan and print functions on my printer and then had this problem, but thanks to your brilliant advice it is now working as normal! One more quick question if I may...... this problem happened because I went to windows update a couple of days ago and it said (I believe under custom updates) that I had the dell photo 944 printer installed and it appeared to not be functioning properly and to download an update (or patch perhaps) from the windows update site. I was a little puzzled as I didn't notice the printer malfunctioning at all, but, I thought it best to take the advice and download the patch/update. That is when the problem started as the printer would not work after this. Is this a co-incidence??? I think it isn't, but why would microsoft tell me to download a patch/upgrade if it will just corrupt my printer??? Am I being naive or something here????

Thanks again Rick ! You are a good man!:emotion-2:

Doug

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 30th, 2009 21:00

Doug,

My advice...

Windows updates are good for Window ONLY. I have seen so many people use Windows Updates to download and install drivers. The drivers that Microsoft offers are sometimes the wrong drivers and/or the drivers get installed wrong, causing many devices to fail.

Windows Updates = Windows ONLY

Driver Updates, ONLY if you have a problem with the device. Then I'd ask in a forum(DELL Community Forums ) to see if it's a know issue before proceeding.

I hope this answers your question about downloading and installing drivers from Microsoft website.

Rick

4 Posts

October 1st, 2009 07:00

Good Advice! Thanks again Rick.... I shall listen to your advice from now on....

Doug

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 21st, 2012 11:00

Doug,

Sorry if I accidentally sent you an email notification that this thread was split.

I am locking this thread, since it is old and anyone needing new help can post in the Dell Printers Forum

Thank you,

Rick

No Events found!