Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 10th, 2009 13:00

Dell Printer AIO 964 and Windows 7 64

Are we going to see dell AIO 964 drivers for Windows 7 64? Windows 7 RC has been released and the only reason I haven't switched to Win 7 is because my printer doesn't work with Win 7. The drivers that Windows update installs are a year old and not fully compatible with my printer. I can scan but i can't print. Windows recognizes my printer and device manager shows it as working fine but when I click Print nothing happens. I know that Win 7 isn't officialy out but Win 7 isn't very different from Vista I'm sure it won't take too much time to write drivers for Win 7 or maybe just tweak the Vista drivers so they would work with Win 7

115 Posts

November 11th, 2009 19:00

Rick,thanks,how can I make a disc of what's on my printer??for future concerns.thanks(all the drivers etc..??)

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 11th, 2009 20:00

schlo,

ABOUT TIME!!! :emotion-21: Glad you got it working.

I put all the downloaded files in a folder, then burned them to a CD/DVD, your choice.

Rick

115 Posts

November 12th, 2009 08:00

Hi, thanks again,u know I'm not very good with this. But I'll try.  Is all the info on the left side of your list in my computer somwhere??(all the download files),and the only thing we needed to do,was to add  the R146813 driver to the last fix to get this to work??thanks,schlo

1 Message

January 30th, 2010 04:00

I also had this problem and it was extremely frustrating, as neither Dell technical support nor I could make head nor tails of it. However, with the kind of assistance of all of you and this thread, my problem has been fixed. I have taken the liberty of fleshing out, so to speak, the proper steps to uninstall and reinstall the proper drivers for the Dell AIO 964 printer for Windows 7. Here is what I came up with. I posted this step-by-step procedure on FixYa.com and gave full credit to this thread. I hope this helps!

* * * WINDOWS 7 DRIVER ISSUE FOR DELL PHOTO PRINTER AIO 964 SOLVED !!!  * * *

After doing a Google Search for a work-around solution to this issue, I finally discovered a successful method of allowing the Dell Photo Printer All-In-One 964 to work with the Windows 7 Operating System. The full thread of the solution can be found here:

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19274021.aspx

Below, I will detail the steps necessary to accomplish this fix and get the Dell AIO 964 printer working correctly with Windows 7:

1)   Perform a manual uninstall of all of the old printer drivers that are installed in the system by going to Start > Devices And Printers, right-clicking on the Dell AIO 964 icon, and clicking on Remove This Device.

2)   Unplug the USB cable from the computer.

3)   Download the ZIP Archive file R166225.ZIP from the Dell Support website here:

http://support.us.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R166225&formatcnt=2&libid=0&typeid=-1&dateid=-1&formatid=-1&fileid=224455

4)  
Extract all the files from R166225.ZIP into a separate folder by themselves. Remember to write down the location of this folder and these files for later use. For example, you could create a new folder named "DELL964" and extract the files there.

5)   Navigate to the directory you extracted the files to, locate SETUP.EXE, and run it. This will run the Dell Clean-Up Utility, which effectively removes any old printer drivers or files from your system. (You might need to navigate to a sub-folder named "CleanUp_Utility" under the folder that you just created in order to run SETUP.EXE. This is where the executable file was located on my system at this point.)

6)  
Reboot the computer when prompted by the Dell Clean-Up Utility.

7)   After the computer reboots and Windows 7 starts back up, log back in.

8)   Download the self-extracting file R146813.EXE here:

http://support.us.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R146813&formatcnt=1&libid=0&fileid=195111

9)  
Navigate to the file R146813.EXE, right-click the filename, click Properties, click the Compatibility Tab, and check off the following check boxes: Run this program in compatibility mode for: (then select Windows Vista Service Pack 2), and Run this program as an administrator.

10)
   Right-click SETUP.EXE, click Run as Adminstrator, and run SETUP.EXE. You might be able to get away with just running the executable without this step, but I included it for redundancy and for safety's sake.

11)   Re-connect the USB cable to your computer when prompted by the Setup Utility.   A small warning: when I did this step, Windows detected my printer and installed its own native drivers for the printer, and a dialog box popped up attempting to print an alignment page. I ignored this dialog box entirely. If this happens, you will be prompted by the Setup Utility to update the driver, which is what you want to do. Continue to run the Setup Utility as normal.

12)   Reboot the computer once again.

13)  
After starting up Windows 7 and logging in, go to Start > Devices and Printers, and left-click the icon for the printer twice. Click Customize your Printer, then the Ports Tab. Check off "Enable bidrectional support."

14)  
Verify that the printer is communicating with the operating system by printing a test page. This can be accomplished by returning to Customize your Printer and click Print Test Page.

15)
If at this point your printer refuses to print and you are still getting the error that it cannot communicate with the computer, reboot, restart Windows 7, login, and repeat Step 14.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 18th, 2010 16:00

scbtrfly,

If the above instructions do not work. I have made a new thread at...

964 Photo All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

It explains how to install the drivers in the compatibility mode.

Rick

1 Message

February 18th, 2010 16:00

I want to thank everyone, ya'll are  "AWESOME!" I have copied and pasted this inforamtion to a  word document, sent myself an email. Accessed my email from my other computer and printed it so I can once in for all fix  this issue! I am soooooooo excited to finally get this fixed. :emotion-1:

1 Message

March 14th, 2010 11:00

Thanks everyone for these instructions. I now have my 964 printer installed on my new windows 7 pc and working.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 3rd, 2010 09:00

starka,

Do you have English installed on your computer or German?

Rick

4 Posts

June 3rd, 2010 09:00

Hello ,

just got my new   Windows 7 PC and now I ran into the 964 compatibility problem.

I followed the steps you suggested , unfortunatly without success.

The error message at the end of the installation process translates to " driver not found ".

Any advice ??

Best regards from Germany

starka

4 Posts

June 4th, 2010 01:00

reply to Rick !

Hi,  I have a german version of Windows 7.

starka

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 4th, 2010 03:00

starka,

Somehow I knew you were going to say that.

Disconnect the printer. Download and run this patch(***WARNING*** The patch for this printer alsoo removes other Dell applications, like Dell Dock, Dell QuickSet and other Dell applications)(These applications can be downloaded at Drivers & Downloads and can be reinstalled) to completely remove the printer from your computer. Run the patch(A MUST on Vista Machines) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer is removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

Insert the printer disk and try to install the printer using the disk. when you see the message, the printer is not connected, connect the printer at this time(powered on) Windows 7 will ask you at the end, is this printer/software installed correctly. Try it first and see if it works or not before you answer the question. If it is not working correctly, Windows 7 will try to install the printer is the compatibility mode. I have a Dell 964 Printer and install the drivers from Dell's website in the compatibility mode, so I don't expect the printer to work the first time.

Rick

8 Posts

June 8th, 2010 18:00

I followed these instructions and after 2 attempts I was able to get the printer to work. But when I unplugged the USB cable from the printer to move it then plugged it back in the computer pops up a message of USB Device Not Recongized. I went to Devices and Printers and my 964 was listed as off line. So I started the process over again and followed the exact same process to install the driver and now I can't get it to work again. The program starts to install but when it gets to the point where you have to plug in the USB I get the same USB Device Not Recongized. Any suggestions? It's fustrating that I cannot get my old Dell printer to work with my new Dell Inspiron 580S

1 Message

June 9th, 2010 12:00

Our office has both an xp and windows 7.  If I download the windows 7 driver for photo 964 will the xp still operate as normal?

Jim

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 9th, 2010 13:00

Jim,

You'll need to use the instructions located at...

964 Photo All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Also try reading...

Share Files and Printers between Windows 7 and XP this works both ways.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 9th, 2010 15:00

starka,

I contacted my friend at Dell and all I could come up with is the German Vista 32-bit drivers for the Dell 964 Printer. I don't think I really was told if you have Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit. I forgot the subject line had it in.

Try disconnecting the printer, run the patch, then restart the computer. Make sure the printer is removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

Then try installing the German drivers from above and see if they install. Windows 7 should give you a message, did this install correctly. Do NOT answer it until you try it, if it doesn't then see if Windows can correct it for you.

Rick

No Events found!