Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 21st, 2010 09:00

Dell V715w All-in-One Linux Driver??

Hi Folks I'm trying to connect an ASUS G73JH-A1 laptop running a dual-boot system (Win7 and Ubuntu 10 Linux) to my wife's Dell printer.  I've found what appears to be the correct Linux driver on Dell's site and downloaded it, along with the 'readme' file.  Followed the instructions (unpacked, ran in 'Terminal,' followed prompts, ...).  I get about three screens into the install process, and I get prompted for the Administration-level Password; I type it in, and it comes back with an invalid password error. 

Can't be an error; it's the only password I use in this system.  Did the usual double-check on CapsLock, slow hunt-and-peck input... no joy, still won't let me in.   'Readme' says something about giving Linux a postscript printer descriptor file instead, but I can't locate that anywhere either. 

At any rate, I'm stuck, and looking for ideas or suggestions.  Reason I'm stuck is that Win7 took a nosedive and won't boot anymore (gets hung BAD when it reaches the 'classpnp.sys' file... have to pull the battery and power cord to shut it down).  I know, I know, everybody's going to want to blame it on Ubuntu, but I'm convinced that it's coincidental, cuz LOTS of people who AREN'T running Linux or any other dual-boot setup are having the same problem.  No definitive answer found yet; still a 'work-in-progress' apparently.

So, until an answer appears for that little jewel of a problem, Linux is my only OS; I'm fine with that, Win is good only for gaming, in my book, so I can't play.  Hopefully there's at least one or two others around here who dabble in Linux too.

Thanks in advance

Karl

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 21st, 2010 09:00

Karl,

A couple of things to try...

Restoring Your Computer´s Software to the Factory Settings

How to Create a System Image Backup in Windows 7

How to Do a System Image Recovery in Windows 7

Windows 7 Features: Backup and Restore

If you do not have the Windows 7 disks and did not make the recovery disks, you might be able to Request Backup Disks USA I would think the recovery image would be there.How To Restore or Reinstall Microsoft® Windows® on a Dell™ Computer

I do not know much about Linux. I have tried it before but could not get the hang of all the commands. You may be able to get help with Linus in the Dell Linux Forum.

Rick

March 6th, 2013 13:00

There is indeed a driver however it does not work on newer installs of Ubuntu and I'm having a bear of a time getting in contact with someone that can help.  I also am attempting to get this printer working on linux, only I also have (I hope) a solution to offer.  Most people who attempt to install dell's driver get the following error:

dpkg: error processing dell-inkjet-09-driver-1.0-1.i386.deb (--install):
parsing file '/var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/control' near line 9 package 'dell-inkjet-09-driver':
blank line in value of field 'Description'
Errors were encountered while processing:

It is at this point that the driver installation process halts and reverts.  In the dell .deb package there is a folder called DEBIAN and under that folder there is a file simply called "control".  In this file is the Description that is causing the failure, I believe. The file currently has a CR/NL (aka someone pressed enter) after the descriptor field "Description."  If this CR/NL was deleted so that the description showed on the same line as the word "Description" then there is a good probability that it will repair the driver.

Is there anyway I can have this looked into?

Driver files are located at the following link:

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails/DriverFileFormats?c=us&s=bsd&cs=04&l=en&DriverId=R247653

Thank you for reading my wall of text,

James

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 6th, 2013 20:00

James,

Your Dell V715w Printer was made for Dell by Lexmark. Go to Lexmark's website and look for drivers for the Lexmark Pro 700 Series. See if the Linux drivers are newer from there.

Rick

March 7th, 2013 19:00

Thank you for that suggestion, I had tried once before with no success.  However I did something different this time.  Instead of installing the printer via the linux printing tool, i utilized lexmark's "Lexmark Print Utility" after installing the print drivers for ubuntu.

During the install you must select the "ethernet" option, ignore wireless and USB, the system won't read them anyway.  After you do this simply point the computer to the IP address of your printer and it works like a charm.

The drivers can be found here.

No Events found!