Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

H

February 4th, 2013 07:00

Dell V715w prints ghost boxes

Hi,

My printer has started printing little lined boxes on printed pages.  I uninstalled the printer and reinstalled it on my Dell Inspiron N5110.  The firmware is up-to-date. I uninstalled the printer cartridges and the printer head (cleaned it manually.  No joy.

Any help?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 4th, 2013 11:00

hooverjo,

Are you using Dell Series ink cartridges?

I suspect the ink cartridge may have overflowed and ink is on the printhead.

Try...

Cleaning the Printhead on Dell AIO V313w, V515w, V715w, P513w, and P713W Printers

and

Troubleshooting Printhead Problems on the Dell AIO V313w, V515w, V715w, P513w, and P713W Printers

The Printer Does Not Recognize the Ink Cartridge or Only Prints in One Color

Here is a Replacement Printhead if needed.

Rick

22 Posts

February 5th, 2013 05:00

I was able to print two pages without an error, and then the artifacts started printing again.  I did all the maintenance steps you suggested without a solution.  I order new Dell print cartridges and will see if they work.

The printer head you referenced is a Lexmark.  I know the printer was made by Lexmark.  I assume, though, that Lexmark cartridges won't work in this printer. Correct?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 5th, 2013 10:00

hooverjo,

I think Lexmark programmed the printer to work with only Delll Series cartridges. The printhead is the closest thing we have. Dell wants the price of the printer for the printhead.

I was fortunate and got a replacement printhead when under warranty, and have not had any issues with the printer since, except... the children won't tell me when the printer is low on ink.

Rick

22 Posts

February 7th, 2013 09:00

I replaced the ink cartridges with genuine Dell ink.  After several deep deep cleanings, the black and blue colors come out with lines and my documents look like they have been printed on a dot-matrix printer. Is the printhead suspect?

1 Message

February 7th, 2013 13:00

How do you remove the print head? I also have a V715w that is doing the same thing.

22 Posts

February 8th, 2013 06:00

Dan,

Under Maintenance, you have to scroll down to second screen and click "Replace Printhead."

Rick,  for some reason, my printing has cleared up (overnight). I believe the good ink infused the printer head.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 8th, 2013 13:00

hooverjo,

My suspicions are the original printhead may have too much ink and needs cleaned. I replaced the printhead once and now it works flawlessly. I keep my printer covered 24/7 except for the exit tray. I also have mine in a place away from drafts and air ducts. Cleaning the printhead helsp and I only use Dell High Capicity cartridges, They cost a few dollars more but last a long time.

Dan Macdonald,

Try reading the instructions Cleaning the Printhead on Dell AIO V313w, V515w, V715w, P513w, and P713W Printers and it explains how to remove the prithead.

Rick

1 Message

August 30th, 2013 05:00

My Dell513w is doing the same thing. I have cleaned the head but the fault still keeps occurring. this is the second 513w we have purchased. great while it is working and the price is reasonable but not so reasonable when it goes wrong. If i am unable to resolve then i will not be buying another Dell printer.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 1st, 2013 11:00

VALROGER,

Did you try uninstalling the printer, then restart the computer.

Then install the printer?

This only happens when using Microsoft Word? If that does not work, you may have to reinstall Microsoft Word.

Rick

October 5th, 2014 16:00

My Dell V715W all-in-one printer just start printing lightly shaded black boxes all over my documents. 

After cleaning, then deep cleaning, and aligning the printhead (my 2nd replacement) without any success, I finally replaced the Dell 24 cartridge and repeated the entire process. 

I finally got the shaded boxes to not print, but they still reappear between uses. 

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 10th, 2014 16:00

TarheelCoastie,

I have seen these grey boxes if you copy and paste to a document. There is something that shows when it's pasted.

Rick

1 Message

October 13th, 2014 09:00

Hello everyone - I'm new to this discussion - just strated having these blocks appearing in my print and copying jobs.  I've cleaned the printhead, deep cleaned the nozzels and still have this boxes showing up - if I trace the discussion correctly - it sounds like the next step wouldbe to replace the printhead - has anyone tried that and has it worked?  is it worth the cost?  thanks  

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 13th, 2014 22:00

prosseel,

If my memory serves me correctly, the boxes only show in Word and Excel documents. Did you get your Office product number using Belarc Advisor then reinstall Office?

Articles for the printer are...

Cleaning the Printhead on Dell AIO V313w, V515w, V715w, P513w, and P713W Printers

Troubleshooting Printhead Problems on the Dell AIO V313w, V515w, V715w, P513w, and P713W Printers

The Printer Does Not Recognize the Ink Cartridge or Only Prints in One Color

And here is a Replacement Printhead if needed. Limited quantities available

Rick

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 4th, 2016 16:00

Late to the party, but I am having the same problem with my V715w (have been for some time, actually).
I have changed print cartiridges, cleaned printhead, unplugged/uninstalled/reinstalled printer.
The "ghost boxes" appear with any type of printing, including test pages. Sometimes more, sometimes less, but always there, no matter what I have attempted.

The printer was great for a long time, until this. I have to suspect it is not a hardware issue, but an issue with the internal "software"/firmware due to the fact that no suggested maintenance remedies work, and it occurs regardless of print source/type.

Please help. Like one of the above posters, this is the last of a long line of Dell products I have purchased and owned over 20 years. Given my most recent experiences with the products and support, chances are that as/if this product dies, so will my relationship with Dell.

Thanks in advance!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 7th, 2016 10:00

soapfloats,

I have seen posts on this a few times before. At first it was happening with Microsoft Word. I can't remember if they reinstalled Microsoft Word or reinstalled the printers drivers and software from the printer disk.

Rick

No Events found!