Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 8th, 2012 11:00

Dell v715W not so wireless

When our v715W printer first went into service, we had very good luck printing to it from multiple computers via wireless.  Now, we do not have any luck with wireless printing.  Print via USB cable still works great.

All of my PCs are connected to my wireless network.  I know the printer is connected to my wireless network, too.  I can get to the printer to look at its settings and reports using a web browser via a computer on the network. 

When I try wireless print, the document goes nowhere.  If I try to look at print status, I will eventually get a Dell pop-up that tells me there is no connection to the printer.

I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling  the printer on my laptop.  No luck.
I reset printer settings, and re-established wireless connection from printer to network.  I can view the printer via browser, but print does not work.

I am not sure what to try next, so I am looking for recommendations on what to look into that could disrupt printing over the network between a PC and printer that are both on the network.

Thanks in advance for suggestions!

Tom

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 9th, 2012 19:00

Tom,

Power off your isp modem/router and your wireless router(if any) wait 30 seconds, then power on the isp modem/router. Wait 15 seconds, then power on the wireless router(if any).

Unplug the printer from the wall for 30 seconds, then plug it back in. If the WiFi light is green, then... 

First run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print jobs from the queue.

Make sure the printer is not usb connected to any computers.

Start, control panel, programs and features, Dell V715w Printer, uninstall.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer was removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

With the computer online, insert the Dell V715w Printer disk, choose additional computer then follow the instructions.

Also try reading...

Allow Printer past Webroot

And...

Allowing Printer past McAfee

1. Open the McAfee Security Center and then click on the ‘Internet and Network’

2. To the right of ‘Internet and Network’ you would see all the services that are present under it, just below that you would have a button ‘Configure’ please click on that.

3. Now you would have the Internet and Network Configuration, in this window you would have an option ‘Firewall Protection in Enabled’ to the right of that you would have a downward arrow, click on that.

4. Then click on the ‘Advanced’ button which would have a new screen up.

5. To the left of that window you would have ‘System Services’ click on it and to the right pane of the window you would have the ports listed.

6. Please check the option which is for ‘Windows File Sharing’ then click on ‘Apply’ and then ‘Ok’

7. Restart the computer

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 9th, 2012 13:00

Tom,

Some questions.

What color is the WiFi light on the printer?

Any power flickers or electrical storms in the area, recently?

Is the issue with just one computer?

Make and model of the computer and operating system. 32-bit 0r 64-bit?

What virus program and firewall are you using?

Rick

11 Posts

May 9th, 2012 14:00

Rick:

Thanks for wading in to help!  Some of my answers will have to wait until I get home this evening to be thorough.

• I have this problem even when the Wi-fi light is green.
  • This problem pre-dated recent storms.  I am not aware of a recent power outage.
  • Our primary machine, and the one I am particularly trying to get straightened out, is a Dell Inspiron 15, Windows 7, 32-bit (I think), McAfee AV. Probably Windows firewall.
  • I have not tried other computers recently, but other machines have been affected.  The other machines are Windows Vista 32-bit using Web Root AV.  One is an HP desktop (not sure on the model). The other is an old Dell Inspiron 1501.
  • In case it matters, we are using an AT&T UVerse wireless router (2Wire) for our Wi-fi network.

Thanks again for your help!

Tom

21 Posts

May 9th, 2012 15:00

Hi,

Welcome to the community,

While you reset the printer this time, try this method:

1. On the printer Panel at the upper right corner there is a Start Button

And there is a RED X button down below the same button

First of All, press and hold down the power button on the printer till it says powering off

Release the power button when the printer goes off completely

After that hold down the Start and Red X together (Simultaneously) and press the power button

to switch on the printer

Let go off the power button but hold down the start and RED X button together till you get the option on the

Printer to select the Language, Region settings etc.,

2. Select these options and then just once disconnect the power cable from the AT&T (U-Verse) modem and wait

for 4 seconds and reconnect the power cable

3. The Dell system (Dell Inspiron 15) which has WIN 7 32 Bit OS has a feature called User account control settings

Go to Start Menu and then in the start Menu at the very end at the bottom there is a dialog box, in that dialog

box type User account control and the name User account control settings will appear in that menu at the top

Click on it and you reach the screen where you will see a Bar with different Levels, Drag down the bar to the very bottom level and then restart the computer

After the system restarts and when you logged into your administrator account, connect the printer to your laptop Dell Inspiron 15 using the USB cable

4. After that go to start menu and then at the very bottom of the menu where you see the dialog box, in that dialog box type the word Device manager and click on Device manager that appears in that menu at the top

Once you have reached the Device manager, in that list at the very bottom you will see the name Universal Serial Bus Controllers, Click on the arrow before the name Universal Serial Bus controllers and then the list which comes up you will see a name that will say USB printing support, right click on it and select uninstall and then restart the computer, the reason for this step is to just refresh the printer drivers

after the system restarts and when you have logged in to the administrator account, wait for 2 minutes and then disconnect the USB cable between the printer and laptop(before disconnecting the cable make sure that the Wi-Fi light is green on the printer, if not run the printer wireless utility and connect the printer with your wireless network)

Now, try to print and see if it works, if it starts to print then go back to user account control settings and elevate

the bar at its previous level

if you are using MacAfee, when open MacAfee there is a section for firewall settings and when you go there and open the list of items there will be one option for dell printer that should say Dell printer Communication, if it is blocked then give

it a full access

For any queries you can reply this post.

Alok Kar

Dell | Social Media Outreach | Global Social Media & Community

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 9th, 2012 15:00

Tom,

Fill me in better, when you get home. I work mostly late night, so I'll be around to help. I have a Dell V715w Wireless Printer, so we can get this resolved.

Rick

11 Posts

May 9th, 2012 18:00

Alok:

I need to go get my daughter.  I'll run through these steps when I get back.

Thanks!

Tom

11 Posts

May 9th, 2012 18:00

Rick:

Here are the details on the computers I am using.  Reading below, I see universe1234 has many steps for me to try after I go fetch my daughter.

Thanks for your help!

Tom

Compaq Presario

Vista Home Premium (64 bit)

Web Root AV

Windows FW

Dell Inspiron 1501

Vista Home Basic (32 bit )

Web Root AV

Windows firewall

Dell Inspiron 15

Windows 7

McAfee AV

Windows Firewall

11 Posts

Alok:

I followed your steps, but when I try to print  a test page, the queue still shows printing error, and I get no output.

I did not see a Dell Printer Communication item in the McAfee firewall program list.

Thanks!

Tom

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

Tom,

You have to allow the ip addresses in the range of your router poast McAfee Firewall.

Since other programs are installed before the printer, click on file, print and make sure the proper printer is selected.

Is the WiFi light on the printer green?

Rick

11 Posts

Rick:

Wi-fi light is green.  I am in the process of re-installing the printer, following your steps.  

I don't see what you describe when I open McAfee.  we may have a version mis-match.  I'll check back in after the install is done.

Tom

PS Here is what I have in McAfee:

11 Posts

May 9th, 2012 21:00

Rick:

The test page at the end of the install process came out via wireless, so I am prepared to declare victory by following your steps. THANK YOU!  I am sending a mental beverage of your choice to you.

Regarding McAfee, I don't see an ‘Internet and Network’ link to click, so I don't get very far with making McAfee changes to support my progress.  

Thanks a gain for your help!

Tom

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 10th, 2012 02:00

Tom,

Are all systems working or the one with McAfee still need help. Sometimes virus programs block printer comminications and sometimes they don't.

The McAfee was for an older version, so it may have changed since then.

Try these instructions...

Allow a Printer past McAfee

Rick

11 Posts

May 10th, 2012 06:00

Thanks, Rick.

The laptop with McAfee worked last night.  I did not get a chance to test it this morning after all devices involved had a chance to go through an overnight lull.  In the past, we have sometimes needed to restart a computer to get wireless printing to work after a long interval without printing.  At some point, even that extra work no longer made the difference.

Tonight I will read through the McAfee link you included to see if there are changes I need to make.

Thanks again for all your help!

Tom

3 Apprentice

• 

8.8K Posts

May 10th, 2012 11:00

Hi,

Welcome to the community,

While you reset the printer this time, try this method:

Alok Kar

Dell | Social Media Outreach | Global Social Media & Community

Universe, didn't you see that Rick was attending to this problem?
Too many people giving too many instructions will only confuse the OP.
Rick knows his stuff quite well, perhaps it would be best if you could find a thread that no one is working on and help that person out.
Thanks for you help,
Zb1

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 10th, 2012 12:00

Tom,

Try this tweak on all computers...

Start, control panel, device manager. Click on Network and then right click on your wireless adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Rick

No Events found!