Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 20th, 2010 19:00

Errors when trying to access network AIO 924 printer

First of all let me state everything worked at one time. I am not sure what happened!

I have a small home network with 3 PC's. The Dell AIO 924 is connected via USB directly to the desk top and it works perfectly well on that PC. The other two PC's are lap tops, one running XP and the other Vista. All three PC can share files with no problems. The printer shows up on the network as shared, default printer  and ready. 

The problem: When I try to connect to the printer with the XP laptop I get an message saying you must first select a printer...the message reappears even after doing that and can't connect. The Vista PC at first got a can't connect or communicate with the printer error message. Based on recommendations elsewhare in this forum, I downloaded a program to delete the drivers and reinstalled the vista drivers now I get an error message; The print processor does not exist. 

Any help would be appreciated.

July 21st, 2010 02:00

kwikarski,

Was there a recent Windows Update that may have changed things?

How about Virus protection on each computer?

Make and models of the computer(s) and operating system(s) on each helpful.

Rick

7 Posts

July 21st, 2010 13:00

Hi Rick,

I suspect it was a recent update also. After one update, I found windows Firewall was turned back on again. I turned it off thinking two firewalls running  was the problem...it wasn't (it's remains off) . My virus protection is Charter Security Suite (F-Secure Ver 9.01) on all three PC's. The firewall is set up for a small office to allow printer and file sharing.  I did disable this firewall temporarily to see if that might be the problem but there was no difference.  Virus and malware scans were run on all three pc's and nothing found.

The PC's:  Desktop is a Dell XPS 400 running MSW XP (media center) SP3,  One laptop is a Dell Vostro1500 running Vista (home premium) SP2, and the other is an Acer Aspire One notebook running MSW XP (Home Edition) SP3.  

I am wondering about the "Print Processor doesn't exist" message. I assume that means on the Vista PC and not the desk top since the printer works on that PC? If so, it sounds as though there might now be more than one problem now!

Thanks,

Kent

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 22nd, 2010 09:00

Kent,

Options.

You can try using system restore and go back before Tuesdays Microsoft updates. If the update included a printer driver, it may have been the wrong drivers and/or it got installed incorrectly.

Second option.

Disconnect the printer from the hosst computer. Download and run the patch(printer cleanup utility) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer.

Install the proper drivers. You'll get a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on)

Printer Sharing on XP/Vista Network

Go to Control Panel. Choose printer. Then choose Add Printer.

Choose Add a local printer. Click on Create a new port. The default in the drop down box is Local Port. Do not change that. Click Next.

A dialogue box will appear asking for you to enter a port name.

Type in the \\computername\printername or \\ipaddress\printername

Then run the patch on the other computers to remove the printer.

Restart that computer.

Install the proper drivers. (Not quite sure but some you can choose network and then it will ask, the printer is connected to a host computer. It will then walk you through the process)

Firewalls and virus programs can hinder the communications.

File and Print Sharing in Vista (Thanks to mombodog)

Network Map in Windows Vista does not display computers that are running Windows XP

Rick

No Events found!