Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 18th, 2016 13:00

Inkjet V305 versus Windows 10 can't communicate, Help

Bought an Inspiron 3650, have an older V305 printer and they refuse to play nice.  Error message says they can't communicate.  Tried the Dell/support page for a driver download, and they offer the option of OSs from Windows 2000 through XP, and even have a cute little blue box that says that Dell has not confirmed this printer model with Windows 10.  

Tech support told me that for $19 they'd try to help, but there was no guarantee.  

This stuff is practically Greek to me.  I'm kinda lost.  

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 18th, 2016 15:00

Chris Caldwell,

Was the printer already connected to your network?

What virus program and firewall are you using? Windows 10 64-bit?

Rick

January 18th, 2016 16:00

I'm not part of a network.  I initially had Mcafee, but changed to AVG for virus software. And I'm running Windows 10 64 bit

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 19th, 2016 02:00

Chris Caldwell,

First run the McAfee Removal Tool if you did not run it to uninstall it.

AVG has been known to block printer communications, so I'm not sure it you can Allow Wireless Printer Blocked by AVG 8.0 Firewall or if you'll need to remove AVG to install the printer, then reinstall.

From the Announcement at the top of the page, Windows 10 Compatibility with Dell Printers

Dell suggests...

Installing Older Windows Printer Drivers in Windows 10

Try this procedure and see if the printer installs.

First run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print job in the queue.

Disconnect the printer.

Hit the Windows key and the x keys at the same time, programs and features, your printer, uninstall.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer is removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

On the printer, click on the wrench, look for reset the wireless adapter back to factory settings and do so. If using the printer wirelessly, please make sure your router is using channels 1, 6 or 11.

***Please note*** A desktop computer that is plugged in to the wireless router using an Ethernet cable can print wirelessly to the printer, no usb cable is needed.

Download the Vista 32-bit drivers for Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 32-bit or the Vista 64-bit drivers for Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 64-bit. Install the Vista drivers in the Vista Compatibility mode you’ll get a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time (powered on).

Links to the drivers can be found at…

Dell V305 & V305w All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Please remember to try Allow Wireless Printer Blocked by AVG 8.0 Firewall or you may need to uninstall AVG to get the printer to communicate.

Rick

August 23rd, 2020 13:00

I am having the same "can't communicate" problem with Dell V305 printer. The printer used to print, but I haven't used it in a couple of years. I vaguely remember having this problem before, and having to install an older driver (maybe a Vista driver?). I think there may have been updates to my PC that might have replaced the driver. But many of the links on the page no longer work and I can't figure out how to fix this problem. Thanks in advance!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 25th, 2020 13:00

newyorkramsey,

Did you try using the instructions above?  Is your router using channels 1, 6 or 11? 

You may also have to Turn Off The Balloon Tips for the printer.

Rick

No Events found!