Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

February 20th, 2012 17:00

Inspiron 14R W7 64-bit Dell 944 Printer

Resurrecting an old one but...  I have an inspiron 14R with windows 7 64bit.  I have a dell 944 and have installed the Vista 64bit driver per Dell's instructions and now the printer will scan documents to the computer but when I try to print I get a pop-up with an err stating "Your computer is not communicating with the printer.  Do the following:  Unplug usb, restart computer, restart printer, unplug printer power source, ensure firewall allows printer comunication.  Done all of that and completely updated windows via windows update and turned off the firewall completely, and same problem.  I know its talking because when I scan things it works just fine, but no data seems to go "out"   Can anybody help me out?

6 Posts

I believe I did... right clicked on setup(for the driver), clicked on properties, changed settings for all users to "Vista" on the pull down menu under compatibility mode and then ran setup and installed the drivers.  And like I said, I just scanned things no problem but could not re-print, trying the tweak now.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

CMV1,

Run Delete Print Jobs and restart your computer.

Open the item you want to print. Click on file, print and please make sure the proper printer is selected. You make have to do this for the other programs until they know you have the printer installed.

Virus programs and firewalls will block communications.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

CMV1,

Did you install the Vista 64-bit drivers in the Vista Compatibility mode ?

Try this twaek?

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager)

Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign.

Go to each USB Root Hub and right click on it, left click properties, left click power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Restart your computer.

Rick

6 Posts

February 20th, 2012 18:00

OK, so after changing the power schedules for the USB ports, restarting, running the delete spooler command, and restarting, I have the same problem.  It comes back with "communication not available" It still scans into JPEGs no problem and in the device manager all printers and drivers are "functioning properly"

6 Posts

February 20th, 2012 18:00

BTW thank you for the help so far.  This problem has me baffled.  It almost has to do with a firewall it seems, but all of that stuff is OFF, the computer is warning me about it every 10 seconds.

6 Posts

February 20th, 2012 20:00

It's McAfee... the firewall is off (so it says) and the virus protection is still on.  

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 20th, 2012 20:00

CMV1,

What virus program and firewall are you using?

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 21st, 2012 06:00

CMV1,

Try reading...

Allowing Printer past McAfee

1. Open the McAfee Security Center and then click on the ‘Internet and Network’

2. To the right of ‘Internet and Network’ you would see all the services that are present under it, just below that you would have a button ‘Configure’ please click on that.

3. Now you would have the Internet and Network Configuration, in this window you would have an option ‘Firewall Protection in Enabled’ to the right of that you would have a downward arrow, click on that.

4. Then click on the ‘Advanced’ button which would have a new screen up.

5. To the left of that window you would have ‘System Services’ click on it and to the right pane of the window you would have the ports listed.

6. Please check the option which is for ‘Windows File Sharing’ then click on ‘Apply’ and then ‘Ok’

7. Restart the computer

Rick

6 Posts

February 21st, 2012 10:00

I must have a slightly different version of mcafee, as the things you're talking about are there, but not set up exactly as your description.  I found the system services hidden in the firewall area, but when I open it there is no list of ports, I have to put one in myself, and there is no "windows file sharing" option.  Now, I did find the "Internet connections for programs" and made sure that all of them have "full" as opposed to just "outgoing" capability with "netguard off"  but that didnt affect anything.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 21st, 2012 11:00

CMV1,

Can you try running the Finding System Information Tool (preferred) Or hit the Windows Key and the R keys at the same time. Type

systeminfo.txt

REMOVE THE PRODUCT ID and post the rest of the information back here.

That way I can see all the information.

Thanks,

Rick

This thread was split off another thread.

No Events found!