Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 24th, 2003 15:00

Interchangable ink cartridges

I just purchased a Dell 5100 notebook, and it came with the A920 printer and a digital camera, now I know its free, but I ill not pay $50 each from Dell for an ink cartridge, anyone know if you can use anything else in it, if I am not mistaken, the printer is made by Lexmark, but dont quote me on this, any help yould be appreciated!

aim - sv3cpc

veri107@charter.net

14 Posts

November 28th, 2003 05:00

The Dell920 appears to be identical to the Lexmark 1150X which uses the same cartridges as my Lexmark Z23 and there are recycled cartridges available for it if you follow my logic .  I've sent an email to Lexmark support to see if the cartridges are interchangeable.  I'll post their response if they respond.

Message Edited by gmike on 11-27-2003 10:06 PM

10 Posts

November 29th, 2003 20:00

-------reply to this thread-----

The Dell920 appears to be identical to the Lexmark 1150X which uses the same cartridges as my Lexmark Z23 and there are recycled cartridges available for it if you follow my logic .  I've sent an email to Lexmark support to see if the cartridges are interchangeable.  I'll post their response if they respond.

Message Edited by gmike on 11-27-2003 10:06 PM

------------------------------------

What are the exact cartridges I can use, the brand and the model of both the black and the color, ur help would be appreciated

30 Posts

November 29th, 2003 20:00

gmike

Great on how you worded your post.   I tried the email to Lexmark with no success so did some onsite checking at a couple stores and came up with the same analogy.  Been getting cartridges for a whole lot less than what Dell charges.

14 Posts

November 29th, 2003 22:00

Well I heard back from Lexmark tech support, sort of.  They confirmed that the Lexmark Z23 and X1150 use the same cartridges but totally ignored my questions about the Dell A920 which were: 

1.  Is the Dell A920 made by Lexmark? (I know it is) 

2.  Do the Lexmark X1150 and Dell A920 use the same cartridges?  So I wrote them again.  We'll see if they ever answer.

I physically compared the Lexmark cartridges to the Dell and they're the same except they placed a notch in the crown of the Dell.  I assume that's to make them non interchangeable.  This may sound way out there but I read an article somewhere last week that these cartridges may contain a chip or something or another to prevent them from being used a refills.      I'll look for the article again.  So, I don't want to post my speculation and research of part numbers for fear it could damage someones printer but I'm thinking the Dell cartridges are definitely proprietary. 

Message Edited by gmike on 11-29-2003 03:45 PM

Message Edited by gmike on 11-29-2003 03:46 PM

14 Posts

November 29th, 2003 22:00

Wow, that's weird.  I no more than posted my last thread than I got another answer from Lexmark.  Here's a cut n paste from their answer:

"Thank you for contacting Lexmark.

Lexmark X1150 cartridges are made specifically for Lexmark printers.  Using the cartridge on a Dell printer is not recommended."

Notice it says "not recommended".

Message Edited by gmike on 11-29-2003 03:57 PM

November 30th, 2003 21:00

I just ordered an A920 printer with additional ink cartridges - planning or re-filling the cartridges.  I'm assuming they ARE refillable??  Does anyone know?  I did find a re-fill site that says to order the re-fill kit for the Lexmark printer, but that the actual cartridges are not interchangeable because of the "nub".

14 Posts

November 30th, 2003 22:00

Mama, check out the posts in the next forum over under Dell Printers/Dell 940 (big brother to the our 920), or click here:

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=A940&message.id=797

Message Edited by gmike on 11-30-2003 03:49 PM

1 Message

November 30th, 2003 22:00

From 4inkjets

'Lexmark makes the A920 for Dell and keyed the cartridges differently just for Dell. The refill kits below will work with the Dell A920 printer but the Lexmark cartridges will not.'

http://www.4inkjet.com/ininkrefkitf.html

My sister bought the Lexmark 1150x.  I am going to check out the cartridges and will get back to board with an answer as soon as I do. BTW, with a rebate she only paid $49.99 for the Lexmark.

14 Posts

November 30th, 2003 23:00

Nice find misc320!    That confirms my suspensions that the Lexmark cartridges wont work.  Since I own the Lexmark Z23 and the Dell 920 I'm going to order their refill kit and give it a shot.

It isn't so much the cost of the printer (actually mine came free with the computer) but the cost of the cartridges.  It's the old (Give away the razor and make it up on the blades thing).  And, actually Dell's prices are right in there with HP and others ($25 to $30).  I remember about seven years ago buying my first HP 500 at Costco and paying $320.00 for it and now you can get em (a printer) for free or under a $100.  Seems to me the cartridges were about the same price back then.  I'd just prefer to be able to go to Wal*Mart and buy them and not have to order only from Dell.  

Message Edited by gmike on 11-30-2003 04:27 PM

30 Posts

December 1st, 2003 22:00

gmike & misc320

Great work misc320 and gmike.  That is the refill kit I have been using but wanted someone else too come up with a second verification.  Notice in the URL that misc320 gives, the A920 is specifically mentioned as compatible with the use of the kit.  Now give thought on how to modify the nub on the Lexmark cartridge and you will then have everything you need to take Dell out of the picture.  Remember, if you are only using what you come up with and not selling the idea, there is no patent infringement.  Anything is possible so I have heard.

2 Posts

December 4th, 2003 15:00

My wife is a teacher and has a A920 in her classroom. She recently asked me to get some replacement cartridges. It's criminal how Dell's online ordering service works: the "Estimate Shipping and Tax" function doesn't work right... unless those charge are always equal to ZERO!? And their fine print says that tax and shipping will be added only AFTER your order is placed. Who ever heard!? So I phoned toll-free ordering and some inept guy there twice exclaimed to me, "There ARE NO shipping and tax charges!" Sure, yeah. I then spent almost 20 minutes with him arranging for an educational discount he promised, but after all the facts were finally gathered he concluded, "Well there's a shipping chage of course but I can discount you eight dollars"... which left the total identical to what my online order would've been. Hellacious nonsense!

So I know what I'm going to do. Through pricewatch.com I can pick up a brand new Canon i350 for $53 shipped. They're every bit the equal. And for that printer, I can get low-cost generic ink tanks anywhere (eg. at simplybargains.com) that sell for a PALTRY $1.60 Black and $2.30 Color.

That A920 is going to the first hand holding $15 cash!

2 Posts

December 4th, 2003 23:00

Well I'm at a loss. It turns out, I've learned, that the A920 is a printer/SCANNER, and so the Canon i350 is certainly no equal. Oops!

30 Posts

December 5th, 2003 20:00

MuleSkinninMama & all others who are interested.

This is information on what works for me with the Dell A920 printer and in no way endorses the product for your use.  Use of the product is at your own risk.

I refill my Dell cartridges with the InkTec #LMI-1026C for the color and the InkTec #LMI-1016D for the black cartridge.   These are the same cartridge refils used for the Lexmarks Z13/Z23/Z25/i3/X75PrinTrio and the X1150. I have also modified new Lexmark cartridges for the X1150 to work in the A920.  This is no major undertaking if you look at what has to be done.

I was in a local large chain Store yesterday and noticed they had a printed placard stapled to the shelf indicating that the A920 was made in the USA.  I wonder why the box mine came in two weeks ago had a sticker on the box that indicated it was made in China.

This post will probably not be accepted as I really question why the FTC hasn't gotten involved in both the advertising and monopoly that Dell uses.  One just has to watch the Dell TV ads and really read there advertising literature.  A big question in my mind 

I now have my I5100 and A920 working as I want them to so hopefully all is well.

2 Posts

December 21st, 2003 04:00

I made the lexmark cartridges work, just jiggle them in. I moved to Guam right after I purchased the printer and they WILL NOT ship them to me here. I have tried every angle, but they said I would have to have them shipped to someone in the states and then have that person mail them here! NOT convenient by any means. I am very disappointed with DELL.

1 Message

December 24th, 2003 17:00

I received my 920 free also,  I took the cartridges out of the IBM and they worked just fine in the Dell. Don't have the complete numbers of the IBM with me but do recall the last digits are 16 for the Black  and 26 for the Color.. get a two pack at walmart for 40.00 ish. did not have much luck with refilled cartridges..
No Events found!