Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 23rd, 2009 18:00

Just Replaced Cartridges, Still Says Low Ink

Hey guys,

I have a Dell Photo 964 and I just recently replaced the ink cartridges (I didn't buy generic brand cartridges or anything.)  I installed them and the printer is still printing fine, however on both the computer and the LCD screen, both black and color cartridges say they are low on ink.  I've gone through the maintainence options on the printer (head cleaning, alignment), but to no avail.  I even updated the firmware as a shot in the dark. 

Any suggestions as to what I can try to resolve this? 

Buying new cartridges would seem like a reasonable path (not so much with the price), but why would BOTH cartridges say the same thing?

Thanks in advance!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 23rd, 2009 18:00

PJIrwin33,

Let's try something simple. Unplug the printer from the wall. Please remove the power brick from the printer for 60 seconds and then plug everything back it. What shows up on the printer screen?

Dell Series 5 ink cartridges have a sensor in them that cannot be reset. Article on refilling Dell ink cartridges.

Dell Series 5 ink cartridges can be purchased at Staples, Walmart or Dell's Website.

It's possible to get a Dell Series 5 ink cartridge with a bad sensor. I would that these back to the place of purchase for a replacement or a refund.

Rick

1 Message

September 20th, 2012 06:00

I am having the same issues with My Dell All in one 942 printer.
Did everything check firmware and unplugged everything for 2 mins even and still showing Low Ink Levels on both Black and Colored Ink. and I got New Dell Ink. I don't like the cheap stuff.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 20th, 2012 07:00

vip3r82,

Unplug the printer from the wall. Now remove the power brick from the back of the printer for 60 seconds. Plug everything back in. This will reset any error messages the printer has.

Power on the printer. Open the printer and take out the Dell Series 5 Black cartridge. make sure all the tape is off the cartridge and put the cartridge back in. Now do the same for the Dell Series 5 color cartridge.

Close the printer. It should print an alignment page. Any error messages?

Black cartridge = black side(left side)          color cartridge = color side(right side)

Photo cartridge = black side(left side)         color cartridge = color side(right side)

Dell Series 5 ink cartridges have a sensor in them that cannot be reset. Article on refilling Dell ink cartridges.

Dell Series 5 ink cartridges can be purchased at Staples, Walmart or Dell's Website.

It is also possible to get a new ink cartridge with a bad sensor. Please take it to the place of purchase for a refund or a replacement one.

Rick

No Events found!