Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 22nd, 2009 19:00

My Dell 5110CN won't print CYAN

Sorry if this is a duplicate post.  I'm new to this.....

Depite having a brand new, full cartridge (2nd one) I am not getting any CYAN  toner through this printer.  None of my consumables need replacing. Everything prints fine except for the lack of CYAN.  I've been on the phone in the past with Dell Support for hours with no solution.   I obviously have some sort of clog.  I read a post  from a user experiencing a similar problem; he talked about cleaning the "toner feed tube" and the "toner feed screw".     Can anyone explain how to fix this problem, or recommend a 3rd party  that can fix it??  Even a detailed service manual would be helpful.

The printer is only a couple of years old.  It's supposed to handle large printing loads.  According to the "print volume report" I have only printed "total pages" of 13,221 with a "black total" of 5936.  "Color Sheets" total is 6,907 and "total sheets" is 12589.  I've replaced the original black toner cartridge 2x with high capacity toner cartridges (never got the expected life) and the color cartridges with high capacity toner cartridges.  This problem originally manifested before my original CYAN cartridge needed replacement.  I have only used genuine Dell toner and always installed per instructions, including removing shipping tape, etc..   On the Parameter Report my "life counters" are as follows:  Y Toner = 535;  M Toner = 388; C Toner = 37 and K Toner = 2624. I've printed the CMY20% ESS test, the Magenta20% ESS Test, the Yellow20% ESS Test , the Black20% ESS test and the CYAN20% ESS test.  All look good except CYAN prints a blank page and the CMY20% looks orange/pink due to a lack of CYAN. 

Please help if you can.  I don't want to throw this printer out  together with hundreds of $ worth of toner.

1.7K Posts

June 23rd, 2009 15:00

Need to ask some questions before we proceed:

• Are you handy with a screwdriver?
  • Are you comfortable opening up the printer?
  • Can you give me an overview of what tech support had you do?
  • Have any parts been replaced? If so, what?

I think I can help you......

4 Posts

June 24th, 2009 09:00

Thanks for the response.

Yes, I'm handy with a screwdriver, hammer, chisel and an assortment of power tools; whatever works!  I have no problem opening the printer though I haven't done so yet, other than the ordinary stuff.  I may need instructions because it doesn't seem that the area I need to work in is easily accessible (no hinged doors).  My tools are at home and the printer is at my office.  Other than a screw driver, what else do I need?

The last time I spoke with someone at tech support was several months ago and there was a language barrier with the tech I spoke with.  He had me run multiple diagnostics.  Turned the machine on/off numerous times and suggested that I replace things like the imaging drum, fuser, etc.  I had to explain to him that the printer has had limited use and prints beautifully except for the lack of cyan.  After a couple of hours he suggested replacing the cyan toner cartridge, which we did.  That's all.  This is the 2nd 5110CN that I've had...Dell replaced the first one because the paper kept jamming. They never sent anyone to look at it.  I believe this printer may have been refurbished.  Unfortunately, this problem manifested just  after my warranty expired. 

I'm wondering if it's a clog or perhaps the auger/motor  that feeds the toner isn't working?  I  don't know if there's a diagnostic test for that.  When I take the printer apart, there's definitely no cyan toner getting to the transfer rollers(?).

I hope you can help. 

1.7K Posts

June 24th, 2009 14:00

Just sent you a "friends" request/message.

1 Message

February 9th, 2010 11:00

HI I have tried to send the Llynster a message but when I click Contact the website deems to freeze and never delivers a form so I'll try replying to this post.  I am having the same problem with the Cyan toner.  I am handy with a screw driver, have no fear of opening the printer, have not called tech support as the printer is out of warranty, all the consumables are in good order and cyan is reporting it is at 100% but we get no cyan when printing.  No parts on this printer have been replaced since it came to us but it was a reconsitioned printer that Dell sent to replace our original printer that a technician totally hosed when working on it - he admitted to being hung over - not so goof for Dell. 

I would very much appreciate any help

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 9th, 2010 12:00

RMHRMH,

First, the email function hasn't work for over a year. The proper method is click in contact, start a conversation with.

I'm sorry to inform you that llynster has retired from the printers forum. maybe one of the other nice forum members that llynster helped will be willing to share some information with you.

Rick

3 Posts

January 30th, 2013 14:00

Hi, If you received help, I am experiencing the same probvlem.

Can you help me?

Thanks,

Tom

11 Posts

March 26th, 2013 07:00

This sounds like a cyan developer assembly problem.

3 Posts

March 26th, 2013 10:00

Have you had any experience with a developer problem?

What can be done?

Thanks,

T

11 Posts

March 26th, 2013 11:00

Yes, many experiences.  You can replace the Cyan Developer Assembly.  Its not something you can repair.  WARNING: Do not touch the developer rollers.  Also, have a toner vacuum ready because there is much toner inside of the developers and the toner dispenser assembly tubes are also unhooked in the process.  Lots of toner can be spilled, and probably will be if you don't know what you are doing or if its your first time.  

11 Posts

This could also be a toner dispenser assembly problem which can be seen when you take the printer's HVPS off.  Now, if there is still toner in the dispenser tube I would vacuum that out and run the printer again, and see if toner is back in the tube.  That would rule out the cyan dispenser assy.  Its a lengthy process, but if you wanted to start ruling things out I would start there or with the Dev. assy.  

11 Posts

Ok, let me clarify.  You can replace any color developer assembly, not just Cyan, but in this case most likely (from the description) the Cyan dev. assy. needs replaced.  You can replace these if you know how to take the printer apart and what to do.  

3 Posts

March 28th, 2013 14:00

Hi,

I certainly appreciate your help on this.

Well. we have cleaned the tube and the Cyan began working...Great!

However, as we put it all back together, the yellow didn't work...we cleaned that tube and still not working, so we replaced the developer assembly and still not working. I found it kind of odd that it just stopped working after the cyan began working (yellow)

Do you have any other ideas or suggestions?

I am at my wits end!

Thanks so much again for your kind help and time!

Tom

11 Posts

April 1st, 2013 07:00

Well, if there is no yellow going to the developer, if the tube isn't refilling after you cleared it, then its probably a problem with the dispenser assembly motor.  I have had a couple of those go out on me.  

Yes, it is odd how it all seems to mess up.  A problem I had with the last 5110cn I worked on was that the color was not working like it should.  Cyan specifically was not working.  I replaced the dispenser assembly for all of the colors (I could only purchase the whole dispenser assy.) and it worked for about a week.  Then I replaced the Cyan developer assembly and the Cyan started printing on all the printouts and have had no problems since. (Knock on wood)

No Events found!