Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 14th, 2008 02:00

My Dell Photo 964 All-In-One won't scan

:smileysad:Recently, I bought an HP Pavilion with Windows Vista.  I kept My Dell Photo 964 Printer but now it won't scan.  It use to work great.  The printer & fax still work .  I push the button on the scanner & get a preview but nothing on my monitor.  When I run the diagnostic test, it says everything is fine. I've plugged and unplugged several times but nothing seems to fix the problem.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 14th, 2008 04:00

Disconnect your printer. Download and run this patch. It will remove the printer completely from your computer. Restart your computer.

Now go to drivers and downloads/select product/printers/select your printer. Download drivers and firmware.

Install your printer drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect it.

Then install the firmware.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

17 Posts

June 23rd, 2008 01:00

Yes, I have exactly the same problem, I have cleaned the computer, reloaded the drivers and firmware and the problem is still exactly the same.  I don't seem to be able to find the Dell Printer program on the computer and can't scan from there, on the printer I can get it to preview scan but not scan and save as a file.  I too have connected it to a new computer, Dell XPS M1530.  Any help greatly appreciated, thanks very much.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 23rd, 2008 01:00

If you have a 964, then follow the instructions in the above post.

4 Posts

June 23rd, 2008 02:00

rgtmum:

Fortunately, Pudgyone's solution worked.  I downloaded the patch and uninstalled my old driver.  I reinstalled the new driver from the website and now the scanner works.  However, if I want to scan and fax, the fax doesn't work.  It's like the computer doesn't recognize the fax part.  I don't want to redo everything again so I am able to fax from the AIO itself.  Just use it like a regular fax, put the paper on the glass and type in the number.  If you want to scan something and send, do it separately.  Hopefully, it will work itself out eventually.

17 Posts

June 23rd, 2008 16:00

Thanks very much for the replies, I have done as pudgyone describes but still have the same problem, I don't seem to be able to find the printer program on the computer and open it to scan, I'm either missing something or doing something wrong.  Any help appreciated, thanks very much.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 23rd, 2008 17:00

Disconnect your printer. Download and run this patch. It will remove the printer completely from your computer. Restart your computer.

Download and install the proper drivers. The Dell All-In-One Center is in the drivers package.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

You'll be prompted when to connect it.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Now install the firmware.

17 Posts

June 24th, 2008 04:00

Thanks pudgyone for the reply.  I have done as you suggest, but I still can't get it to scan.  I don't have the All-in-one Center anywhere on my computer as far as I can see, and I can't scan from the printer either.  So I think I am at a dead end, I guess.  I can still use the printer for copying, faxing and printing.  Thanks again,

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 24th, 2008 07:00

Let's clear up the information first. Since you didn't create your own post, it can sometimes get confusing.

You have a new Dell XPS M1530. XP or Vista? 32-bit or 64-bit? 32 is normal 64-bit is special. So there are drivers for the 964, which I hope is the printer you're using, and can be installed on 2000, XP and Vista 32-bit only.

How are you connect to the printer? USB connection or using a Dell wireless print adapter 3300 or a print server with your wireless router?

If using a wireless router, make and model and type of security you're using.

17 Posts

June 24th, 2008 14:00

Thanks for the reply, I am using Vista Home Premium 32 bit, my printer is a Dell AIO Photo 964 and I am using the USB cable.  I hope this helps, thanks very much.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 24th, 2008 15:00

Disconnect the USB Cable from the printer. Download and run this patch. It will completely remove the printer from your computer. Restart your computer.

Download and install the Vista 32-bit drivers, do NOT use the disk to install the drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect the USB Cable to your computer.(Powered on)

Download and install the firmware for the 964 printer.

Everything should work. If it doesn't then you may have a USB problem, which there is a solution for this, also.

Scanning

17 Posts

June 24th, 2008 17:00

I re-did everything as suggested and now it is working just fine, I have the All-in-one Center on my computer and it is working. I'm not sure where I was going wrong, but I'm glad it's working OK now.. Thanks for all your help.:smileyvery-happy: 

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 24th, 2008 18:00

Glad you got everything sorted out. Had me scared for a minute. I have a 964 and have successfully installed this in 4 laptops,  each a different brand(Compaq, HP and 2 Dells) and operating system(3 XP's 1 Vista). I use the 3300 wireless adapter, so I can roam outside on the back patio, when I please.

March 31st, 2010 17:00

Hi, I found this trail when searching for answer for same problem. 

Got a new computer sent to me by my work: IBM Lenovo Thinkpad T400.
Windows Vista Enterprise. 2007. Service Pack 1.  32bit.

Need to make it work with the Dell Photo 964 that i have, so the issue is on me :) and can't ask my work IT support.  I followed the instructions above closely. 5 times. First time I did not notice the link automatically shows as XP and so that's what i downloaded. With that attempt, the printer worked, but the All in one scanning program did not.  I started over and removed everything. Selected Vista. Passed on printing test page. All in one loaded. Thought i was golden. But now won't print and still won't scan. Says no communication between computer and 964 and to make sure it's on, cables plugged in etc (which all is good there).  I started over 2 more times thinking i missed something, but still the same result. Last attempt I disabled whatever firewall I have and that didn't help either.  So I have the print driver installed and i have the all in one program installed at this point, but no communication between laptop and the 964. Any ideas?  I thought of calling geeksquad but they probably cost more than me just craiglisting the 964 and buying something new and compatible.  I'd like to avoid the spend though!

Thank you! (Oh, and I am not very technical, so please talk slow!)

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 31st, 2010 19:00

saundragaar2,

You need to disconnect the printer, download and run the patch(printer cleanup utility) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer. Download the proper Vista drivers. You'll get a message, then printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on)

The link to the patch and the Vista drivers can be found at...

964 Photo All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Let me know what happens.

Rick

March 31st, 2010 21:00

hi rick,

i will try this in the morning -- but quick question -- are these instructions any different than what's in this previous post from past years?

just checking as i've followed the instructions completely 5 times, but it's not worked yet. 

hoping maybe the diff link is newer info?

thanks!

saundra

No Events found!