Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 14th, 2008 14:00

Printer Setup

How do you installl Dell AIO 962? I don't need to install the adaptor just the printer.  If someone can guide me that would be great!!!

17 Posts

October 14th, 2008 17:00

I am having problems with the installing software and detecting printer when it says choose printer there is none there HELP!!!:smileymad:

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 14th, 2008 17:00

Disconnect your printer. Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer.

Install the latest firmware for the 962 printer

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 14th, 2008 18:00

Disconnect your printer. Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager)

Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign.

Starting at the bottom, USB Root Hubs, and working your way to the top, USB Universal Controllers, un-install everything in that section.

Restart your computer. Windows will find everything again and correct the problem one. Please be patient. The new hardware wizard may work 3-5 minutes before it's done.

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer.

Install the latest firmware for the 962 printer

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Message Edited by PudgyOne on 10-20-2008 12:07 PM

3 Posts

October 24th, 2008 23:00

Hi:

I had the same issue with my 962 after I ran a Microsoft Update run ... I went through your procedure and, finally, got it up and running again for printing - THANK YOU.

HOWEVER, I tried installing the latest firmware (last step in your description), i.e. downloaded the zip file, it extracted, it started opening the CMD window, then started with the Utility Firmware Update 1.19, but THEN it pops up another requester, telling me: "AIO FIRMWARE UPDATE UTILITY:  COMMUNICATION ERROR: Check that the device to be updated is powered on.  Check that the USB cable is connected.  Then run this utility again.  Exiting Firmware Update Utility."

Now, everything is connected, but just for the heck of it, I disconnected the USB cable, the power, reconnected everything, restarted the computer ... to no avail.  

The printer prints - no problem.  But the printer does not scan.

Have you come across this and would you have a solution for this?

Bjoern 

PS My system runs on Windows XP Home.

Message Edited by TsbapB on 10-24-2008 08:36 PM

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 25th, 2008 08:00

Disconnect the printer, run the patch, restart your computer. Re-install the drivers. A small thing is that sometimes windows take a couple of restarts to remember some settings.

Forget the firmware update since everything should work again.

What are you trying to scan to?

Scanning

3 Posts

October 25th, 2008 15:00

"Disconnect the printer, run the patch, restart your computer. Re-install the drivers. A small thing is that sometimes windows take a couple of restarts to remember some settings."

Did that - finally enabled me to print again.

Rebooted the box about 5 times now - I can click on SCAN AND SAVE TO PDF FORMAT and on NEXT, and after about 15 seconds it's telling me that the cables might be unplugged, the printer is not on, etc.  Needless to say the cables are on and work (I printed a page just before I tried to scan), so is the printer power.

I baffled as to what is left to do?

Bjoern 

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 25th, 2008 17:00

Open the Dell All-In-One Center.

Click on scanning and copying, update the list of applications to send scans to.

Click on enhanced search. Add AcroRd32 then add pdf

Also add any other program that you want to send scans to. 

Also you can try this...

If you have the printer disk, double click my computer. Go to the drive with the Dellxxx disk and right click on it, left click explore. Go to the OCR folder and double click on it. Go to setup.exe and double click on it. This will install the OCR Program.

Or

Try this FREE OCR Program.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 25th, 2008 17:00

Also try...

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager)

Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign.

Right click on the USB Root Hubs, left click properties, left click power management. Uncheck the box allow the computer to turn off this device to save power. Do this to all the USB Root Hubs. Your USB ports will always have power this way so you won't(shouldn't) loose communications.

3 Posts

October 26th, 2008 16:00

When I was in Device Manager, under IMAGING DEVICES, was a yellow exclamation mark for SCAN.  I went in there, updated the driver THIS way, and now ... it works!

Thank you for going through the detailed steps without which I would not have looked in the Device Manager section!

Bjoern 

PS Weird thing now is that a simple scan to a PDF gives you a file size of e.g. 100 MB (!) for 3 pages?!

November 16th, 2008 15:00

I've been trying to help my father install his 962 so that it works with his new laptop that has Vista Home Premium.  The old laptop had XP.  He tried to install the printer using his original driver disk which was designed for XP.

We ran the cleanup utility, and started to unistall USB items from the Device Manager, but stopped because it disabled his mouse.  The touchpad still worked, but I was afraid we may knock that out, so I had him install the Vista driver without clearing out all the USB items.  Needless to say, it didn't work.  The printer and laptop aren't communicating.

So, now that the cleanup utility has been run, can we simply try to delete all of the USB items without running the cleanup again or deleting the Vista driver?  Or do you think it is better to start the process from scratch by deleting the new driver, run cleanup, etc.?

November 19th, 2008 11:00

Follow up on previous post.  We decided to uninstall USB items, but did not run cleanup again to uninstall Vista driver.  That didn't work.

On the next attempt, however, I asked my father to unplug the printer, plug it back in, then remove the print cartridges, then put them back in.  Guess what?  It WORKED! :emotion-1:

I thought of this because the laptop had indicated the print cartridges were empty, when in fact they weren't because my father could make copies.  I'm wondering if the laptop won't send the print job if it thinks there is no ink?  I don't know the answer to that, but at least we got the printer working again.  This was the last step before going out to buy a new printer.

No Events found!