Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 17th, 2009 12:00

Re: Dell 964 Photo all in one printer

I hava  a Dell printer 964 as listed above. The other day my son went ahead and eleted what he called some of the old stuff in the computer.

Now at this point when ever I go online to view something it either comes out as jibberish . It also happens when i try to print something out from e mail or a website. Any ideas what is caysing this?

jeffrey branstrator

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 17th, 2009 12:00

branny123,

Since we don't know what he removed, you can first try system restore and restore the computer to before he removed these items. If that doesn't work, then follow these instructions below.

First, let's make sure your computer has the latest Windows Updates, especially .net framework, needed to run many applications and the latest Java.

Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. (This patch is like a cleaner and works on XP and Vista systems)

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Vista 64-bit Drivers

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer(powered on)

Please remember to install the latest firmware for the 964 printer.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 17th, 2010 19:00

vpbnyc,

Printer sharing on Windows 7 has become difficult and I really haven't found anyone that has found the solution except yu might want to try this...

Share Files and Printers between Windows 7 and XP

These might help...

File and Print Sharing in Vista (Thanks to mombodog) and Sharing a printer through a wireless network

Rick

2 Posts

January 17th, 2010 19:00

Thanks so much, Rick, for your instructions above.  After trying many different ways, your idea finally worked.  However, there was one quirk with your instructions - by uninstalling all of the USB ports, I suddenly found myself without a mouse/keyboard to navigate with...  Fortunately, I had uninstalld all of the ports and was able to isolate the one that was still working in order to re-boot.  Finally, my 964 printer works on my new dell desktop which runs Windows 7 - thank you!

I now have a different issue:  my laptop still runs on Windows XP and I have a home network set-up.  Though I can see the 964 as a shared printer, I have a similar "not able to communicate" error on the laptop.  I have upgraded the driver with the latest WinXP versions, but it still doesn't communicate.

Any ideas?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 17th, 2010 20:00

vpbnyc,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back.

Take care,

Rick

2 Posts

January 17th, 2010 20:00

Ah Rick - you are truly a genius!  Your suggested first link above worked perfectly!  THANK YOU SO SO MUCH!  I almost gave up on technology and was going to surf the web for a new printer!  Thanks so much!  :emotion-21::emotion-2:

No Events found!