Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 2nd, 2013 19:00

Scanner software gone

I have a Dell 2335dn printer used with a Dell inspiron 580 running Windows 7.  My computer is connected wirelessly via Airport Extreme. (There is still a USB cable from my computer to the printer, but i don't think that's how the systems communicate.)   I would scan by going to "devices and printers" and clicking on my printer; it would bring up a page where I could select options to do a scan.   Those options do not appear any longer; I am unable to scan through my multi-function device.  I do not scan all that often, so I am not sure how long these options have been gone, but I am aware of two significant changes that may be the culprit.  

The likeliest source is some attempts to clean up my computer.  A while back (maybe a couple months ago) I decided to get rid of various programs that I never use; they occupy space and I would get "nags" from some of them.   Some of the programs I eliminated were Dell programs - I thought the main thing of that sort that I pitched was the Dell backup programs -- since I back up everything to Mozy already.  I suspect i managed to pitch my scan manager software when i did that. 

I pulled up my original installation disk for the printer; deleted my 2335dn and reinstalled the original printer driver.  This did not bring back my scanning software.  Looking at the installation disk, there was a scan manager folder.  i ran the setup.exe file in that folder and it told me that there were missing files.  If I told it to "ignore" those files and proceed, the process seemed to complete, but I did not wind up with my scanning capability again.

The other possibility is if something happened when I installed the Airport Extreme - at that point I went from the USB connection for my printer to the wireless connection.  This was about 3 months ago.  I kind of think the first scenario is more likely the culprit (if something I did is even responsible for this).

I have tried going to the Dell website and downloading the driver for the 2335dn -- but I do not seem to be able to install it successfully by that route; I'm not sure why.

Anyone have any ideas or any suggestions?

1 Message

September 19th, 2013 13:00

i don't have any yet, but i lost my CD.  any chance you could copy it for me?  i'd be happy to pay to mail it or whatever.  thanks.  Email id removed per privacy policy>

No Events found!