Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 13th, 2010 19:00

Spooler keeps stopping immediately after starting it

I can't print anything due to the fact that my print spooler has a mind of it's own.  Here's the issue:

A few weeks ago I was running Windows Vista 32-bit and when I tried to print something, it wouldn't print. (I have a Dell Photo 966 Printer, connected by USB cable, and a Dell XPS system.)   I deleted it from the print queue and tried again, no luck.  I shut off the printer, restarted the computer, and tried again, and it printed.  This happened twice within a week or so, and both times restarting the printer and the computer worked and the job printed.  I didn't think much else about it until....

I purchased the Windows 7 upgrade and installed it last week.  Since then, nothing prints and restarting does not work.  I ran the troubleshooter, which said to restart the spool service.  I did that (administrative tools, print service, right click and start spooler).  Didn't work.  I checked the forum and after doing some reading, decided that I needed to update the driver.  So I tried to uninstall the printer.  I couldn't uninstall it!  I tried and got a weird %buildtemplateerror% message - or something like that.  So I tried a manual uninstall.  No luck, as the link on which I was to click (I don't remember now, device I think) didn't exist when I right clicked on the printer in Devices in Control Panel.  So....

Again I checked here and read a similar message, an answer to which suggested that I download a patch to remove the printer from my system.  I did that.  Then I downloaded and installed the Windows 7 driver (checking compatibility to Windows Vista SP2) according to the directions.  The software for the printer is now installed, and things would seem to be working ok - except that when I was at the end of the installation and it asked me to print a test page, I tried and got a "could not print" message.  The job showed in the print queue, which wasn't happening before, but still nothing prints. 

I checked administrative tools, services, print service, and sure enough, the spooler had stopped.  I manually started it, then closed the window.  Opened the window again just to verify that it had started, and it had stopped again!  As soon as I start it, it stops.  What can I do to correct this situation?

I thought about just removing the printer and buying a new one, but I'm afraid that I would have the same problem, so I just don't know what to do.  Please help!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 14th, 2010 02:00

BBMc,

Try running Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print jobs in the queue.

When you uninstalled the printer, did you use the removal patch, then restart your computer? Then make sure the printer was removed? Manual Printer Driver Removal

Installing the printer is the Compatibility mode is the trick but I would suggest before setting up the printer to try using these Recommended Wireless Router Settings, I use channel 11.

Virus programs and firewalls will block communication.

Links to the patch/drivers can be found at...

Dell 966 Photo All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Also try these tweaks.

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager)

Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign.

Go to each USB Root Hub and right click on it, left click properties, left click power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Restart your computer.

--------------------------------------

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager). Click on Network and then right click on your wireless adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Rick

No Events found!