Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 27th, 2007 19:00

Trouble connecting a network printer

I have a HP Photosmart 3210 printer connected to an XP desktop which is connected to a Linksys router. I have an XP laptop which is able to print to the desktop system (and subsequently to the printer). I now have a Vista laptop which I'd like to setup to print the same way but I can't seem to find the printer on my network. Any suggestions?

4.8K Posts

December 27th, 2007 22:00

RESTETS,

Check this MSKB article for info on seeing shared resources on XP systems from a Vista system:

Steve

4 Posts

December 28th, 2007 20:00

Steve, Thanks for the response. I applied the update to both of my XP systems and rebooted them all. I'm not certain what to do next. I have Network Magic but I still can't seem to connect to the printer from my Vista system.

4.8K Posts

December 28th, 2007 22:00

RESTETS,

Be sure that file and printer sharing is enabled on your systems.  Be sure that your firewalls are configured to allow file and printer sharing.  After updating your XP systems with the update noted in the KB article, your Vista system should be able to see and access shared resources on your XP based systems using the Network Mapping feature. 

Steve

4.8K Posts

December 29th, 2007 11:00

RESTETS,

This is good, so far.  From your Vista system, you can actually "see" and connect to the printer on the XP system.  Install the HP printer driver for Vista on your Vista system and during the process, it should ask you if you want to connect to a network printer or a local printer.  You should be able to have the printer installation software search the network for your HP printer and it should find it on the XP system. 

Steve

4 Posts

December 29th, 2007 11:00

Steve, I apologize for my ignorance but how does one access the Network Mapping feature? I searched for "Network Mapping feature" in Help and Support but didn't find any specific help on this topic. What I did find was a topic on "Troubleshoot problems with computers not appearing on the network map". In this topic there was a link for "Your computer is running Windows Vista and the Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) protocol is disabled on the network adapter. Windows uses the LLTD protocol to map computers and devices on a network. To enable LLTD, follow these steps: Click to open Network Connections. Right-click the network adapter icon, and then click Properties. Select the Link-Layer Topology Discovery Mapper I/O Driver and Link-Layer Topology Discovery Responder check boxes, and then click OK." In my case both of these item were checked already. In Network and Sharing Center (Vista system) I have Network discovery and file sharing on. I am unable to turn on printer sharing as there are no printers installed. If I enter the name of the XP system that has the physical printer attached to it in the Vista Start menu search box I can navigate to the printer. Double clicking on this printer simply opens the queue but nothing else. Rick

4 Posts

January 19th, 2008 21:00

We figured it out. We had some other applications running when trying to download/install the file. Once we stopped these other applications we were able to do what we wanted to. Thanks for your assistance.
No Events found!