Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 4th, 2005 22:00

USB device malfunction error - Dell AIO 942

Hi,

I 've had this problem for some time intermittently. The problem seems to be that
I can't print multiple pages. It comes up with "USB device has malfunctioned and
Windows does not recognize it." I've called Dell support a few times and I uninstalled
and re-installed printer drivers, created new user accounts, replaced the printer
itself sent by Dell, replaced the USB cable, as instructed - all these things worked for a while, then the problem came back. It only prints one page, then on the succeeding pages is when the USB error comes up. Please help. Thanks.

My system: Dell Dim 4700, XP Pro SP2, Dell AIO 942, wireless keyboard/mouse via
USB receiver.

June 11th, 2005 11:00

I am currently having the same problem you are. I have spent 6 or more hours with dell support. I print multiple pages and I recieve a usb device error with my 8400. Dell has sent me a new printer and  I recieve the same message. I have tried to install the printer with my laptop as well and it doesn't communicate with either computer. The printer worked for a couple of weeks with my 8400 then it started having problems. Support is working under 2 theories, that the operating system is not installed correctly or that the printer is the problem. I tried another cable that I had but it didn't recognize the printer with a different cable as well. Support also wants me to purchase a standard mouse because I am currently using a usb mouse. What can the colflict be???? Should I just purchase a different printer or what???? When the printer is not hooked up the system runs great. However all the adjustments Dell support has had me made leaves me insecure about the PC running at its optimal performance level because I don't know what the heck is going on.

8 Posts

June 12th, 2005 17:00

@ML0818 wrote:
Hi,

I 've had this problem for some time intermittently. The problem seems to be that
I can't print multiple pages. It comes up with "USB device has malfunctioned and
Windows does not recognize it." I've called Dell support a few times and I uninstalled
and re-installed printer drivers, created new user accounts, replaced the printer
itself sent by Dell, replaced the USB cable, as instructed - all these things worked for a while, then the problem came back. It only prints one page, then on the succeeding pages is when the USB error comes up. Please help. Thanks.

My system: Dell Dim 4700, XP Pro SP2, Dell AIO 942, wireless keyboard/mouse via
USB receiver.

These are the things I will do and see if it will fix it:

1. I will unistall AOL which I don't use anyway. According to one, this AOL
causes some problems with other programs. If that doesn't fix it..I will try
the next step.

2. Go to device manager, click the plus besides USB controllers and right click
USB Printing support and uninstall. Don't worry about the warning. Uninstall
and reinstall the printer drivers.

Let me know if that works for you.

4 Posts

July 30th, 2005 12:00

Also having USB device problems.I see it has been awhile since you posted your message. Any luck yet. When I get the same message you get, I turn off my printer then turn it back on, it will reset the printer and start printing again but after the 5th or 6th page I get the same error again. I am using AOL but hate to go thru the unistall/install if it is not going to solve the problem. Surely this is a fixable problem. Some one please reply???

8 Posts

July 30th, 2005 15:00

@Rdelc wrote:
Also having USB device problems.I see it has been awhile since you posted your message. Any luck yet. When I get the same message you get, I turn off my printer then turn it back on, it will reset the printer and start printing again but after the 5th or 6th page I get the same error again. I am using AOL but hate to go thru the unistall/install if it is not going to solve the problem. Surely this is a fixable problem. Some one please reply???

No luck yet. Let me know if you found a solution.

I still have to try this which was a suggestion:

2. Go to device manager, click the plus besides USB controllers and right click
USB Printing support and uninstall. Don't worry about the warning. Uninstall
and reinstall the printer drivers.

6 Posts

August 2nd, 2005 12:00

I too have problems with a Dell 942 Printer.  My problem is USB communication problems only when the new external Maxtor Hard Drive (bought through Dell) is connected.  The external hard drive also has a USB connection, obviously.  If I disconnect the external Hard Drive, the printer works fine.  If I re-connect the external hard drive, the USB connection the printer is connected to is unrecognized in the Device menu and the printer is not connected.  This happens consistently and without any exceptions.  I have moved both the printer and hard drive USB plugs around, re-installed drivers, disconnected, re-connected the printer, etc., etc. and all the other stuff the inexperienced and inadequate Dell support people suggest.

They are now sending a new printer, but I really don't think that will solve it.  Hope it will, but I suspect it's a Drive Letter conflict and Dell has no idea how to deal with it.

Any suggestions?

8 Posts

August 2nd, 2005 15:00

@DrDougAZ wrote:

I too have problems with a Dell 942 Printer. My problem is USB communication problems only when the new external Maxtor Hard Drive (bought through Dell) is connected. The external hard drive also has a USB connection, obviously. If I disconnect the external Hard Drive, the printer works fine. If I re-connect the external hard drive, the USB connection the printer is connected to is unrecognized in the Device menu and the printer is not connected. This happens consistently and without any exceptions. I have moved both the printer and hard drive USB plugs around, re-installed drivers, disconnected, re-connected the printer, etc., etc. and all the other stuff the inexperienced and inadequate Dell support people suggest.

They are now sending a new printer, but I really don't think that will solve it. Hope it will, but I suspect it's a Drive Letter conflict and Dell has no idea how to deal with it.

Any suggestions?

I think Dell needs to test the configuration where there are 2 USB
devices attached and I'm sure they will encounter the same problem.
I have also a USB receiver attached for the wireless mouse/keyboard
and USB attached 942 printer and I got intermittent problems. Sending
you another printer will not solve the problem bec. I was in that
same situation.

6 Posts

August 2nd, 2005 16:00

Thanks for advice.  Is there a formal way to tell Dell of this problem to get them to adequately test it.  The average support person on a Dell phoneline or chat session seems to be reading from a script and pretty clueless.  Is there a way to get to someone who knows something there and has the authority to do such a test....or even better, maybe such a person would know that they actually have found this problem and come up with the real solution.

August 3rd, 2005 02:00

I finally solved the problem by purchasing a new usb cable for the printer. No problems so far and its been a while. It did start out with printer failure using multiple page printing, then the errors were showing up as a usb problem. I installed the printer on another computer and it mal functioned then finally had to resort to a cable that was not a Dell cable since they provided a new one through tech support which also failed. They must have a bad batch of cables.

8 Posts

August 3rd, 2005 03:00

@DrDougAZ wrote:
Thanks for advice. Is there a formal way to tell Dell of this problem to get them to adequately test it. The average support person on a Dell phoneline or chat session seems to be reading from a script and pretty clueless. Is there a way to get to someone who knows something there and has the authority to do such a test....or even better, maybe such a person would know that they actually have found this problem and come up with the real solution.

Ask for some dept in their lab that does testing of configurations from users if
they ever do such a thing. Or try escalating it to a lab manager or supervisor.

4 Posts

August 3rd, 2005 20:00

Where were you able to find a off brand USB cable that would fit your Dell printer.  I figured that Dell was the only place you could purchase parts for Dell.

Thank you  Rd

August 3rd, 2005 21:00

First get Dell to send you a new usb cable, if it won't work they will have to replace the printer or the cable. Test the printer on another computer to see if it works. I have forgotten where I purchased the cable but I do shop at Comp USA, Best Buy etc. OH YEA, I bought the cable at a computer swap meet! I took the old one with me and found one. In addition they can make cables from your existing stuff.

4 Posts

August 23rd, 2005 11:00

Is your issue with your printer still ok. Dell want me to do a system restore. I think they do this when they do no know the solution to this problem. I have talked to several support people and they tell me that ist is not a problem that i should just try printing a couple pages at a time. I fell like i am sust going around in circles on this issue.  I need to try and find someone that can make me a USB cable???

8 Posts

August 23rd, 2005 13:00

@Rdelc wrote:
Is your issue with your printer still ok. Dell want me to do a system restore. I think they do this when they do no know the solution to this problem. I have talked to several support people and they tell me that ist is not a problem that i should just try printing a couple pages at a time. I fell like i am sust going around in circles on this issue. I need to try and find someone that can make me a USB cable???

@Rdelc wrote:
Is your issue with your printer still ok. Dell want me to do a system restore. I think they do this when they do no know the solution to this problem. I have talked to several support people and they tell me that ist is not a problem that i should just try printing a couple pages at a time. I fell like i am sust going around in circles on this issue. I need to try and find someone that can make me a USB cable???

I replaced the USB cable from Dell with another brand and it didn't solve the problem.
I'm pretty sure we're not the only ones having this problem.
It's probably time to buy another printer that is NOT Dell.

4 Posts

September 10th, 2005 13:00

Dell is just now replacing my printer, and I thought they was replacing the USB cable but have not recieved it yet.  When I tried printing on the new printer I got the same USB device is not reconized by windows.  Boy is this getting old. Has anybody bought a different kind of printer and tried printing with it to see if it has corrected the problem.  I guess it does not have to be a new one just a different brand??????? Keep me posted

8 Posts

September 10th, 2005 20:00

@Rdelc wrote:
Dell is just now replacing my printer, and I thought they was replacing the USB cable but have not recieved it yet. When I tried printing on the new printer I got the same USB device is not reconized by windows. Boy is this getting old. Has anybody bought a different kind of printer and tried printing with it to see if it has corrected the problem. I guess it does not have to be a new one just a different brand??????? Keep me posted

@Rdelc wrote:
Dell is just now replacing my printer, and I thought they was replacing the USB cable but have not recieved it yet. When I tried printing on the new printer I got the same USB device is not reconized by windows. Boy is this getting old. Has anybody bought a different kind of printer and tried printing with it to see if it has corrected the problem. I guess it does not have to be a new one just a different brand??????? Keep me posted

I also replaced the USB cable with another brand just like what the other user did but
it still didn't help.
No Events found!