Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 13th, 2011 17:00

Using Dell AiO 926 with 3rd party print servers

Hi,

Have a Home LAN and several PCs in the house.  Bought a D-Link print server (DPR-1020, a simple one with just one USB port and one Ethernet port).  Connect print server to ADSL2+ router/modem via Ethernet, and to AiO 926 printer via USB port.

Cannot get output to print, despite (apparent) successful installation whereby the print server is set up as the port for the printer.  Windows 7 machines report that I must enable bidirectional printing, but this option is greyed out and hence unselectable.  A test page document registers in the print queue, but nothing happens and the printer has to be uninstalled just to delete the item from the print queue.

For an XP machine there are no error messages, but nothing prints out.  No document appears at any stage in the print queue.  Bidirectional printing can be set under XP, but makes no difference.

Any advice out there?  Do I just chuck out the AiO 926 and buy a printer on the basis that it will work with the D-Link print server?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 13th, 2011 17:00

JRT53,

Try using these Recommended Wireless Router Settings in your wireless router, I use channel 11. I would make a new SSID to make connecting easier.

Does the print server see and connect to your wireless router?

Run Delete Print Jobs on both machines to remove any stuck print jobs from the queue.

Make sure the printer is not connected to any computers, with the usb cable.

Download and run the patch(printer cleanup utility) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer is removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

Download the proper drivers. For the Windows 7 machine, download the Vista 32-bit drivers for Windows 7 32-bit or the Vista 64-bit drivers for Windows 7 64-bit. Install the Vista drivers in the Vista Compatibility mode, choose network and follow the instructions.

Remember virus programs and firewalls will block communications.

Rick

2 Posts

November 13th, 2011 22:00

PudgyOne,

Thanks for advice.  Just wanted to confirm however that the D-Link print server is NOT wireless - as stated in my original post, it is directly connected to the modem/router via Cat 5 Ethernet.  It can be successfully pinged, and is on the same subnet as the home LAN (as is the Dell AiO 926 printer, of course).  All are 192.168.1.xx.

The print server, if you are not familiar with this one, is not a full blown PC-type - see picture below. It just has the two connection ports mentioned - USB and RJ-45.

Although the router is wireless, I'm not trying to connect the print server (& hence printer) wirelessly. The wireless home network already uses Channel 11, by the way.

Individually both the printer & print server appear OK - they just won’t talk to each other, or rather as a unit they won’t communicate with the network when a print request comes through. It's very frustrating.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 14th, 2011 03:00

JRT53,

Does the print server have a static ip address? If so, I would give it one at the hight end of the ip range. My wireless printer is 192.168.1.145

The printer needs to be connected to the usb cable to the adapter.

When installing the drivers, you'll still need to choose network, then follow the instructions. Here is a screen shot from my old printer, that was connected to a wireless print server.

Printer instructions are located at...

Dell 926 Photo All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

You'll probably need to turn off the firewall in your wireless router. I use the firewall in the computer, so you should be ok.

Virus programs and firewalls will block communications.

If you try installing the drivers, with the usb cable first, then after you setup the adapter, if you click on add printer, add a network printer, the printer i want is not listed, add the printer using the TCP/IP address

Then follow the instructions. The drivers will be there from the usb cable being attached, so it will then install the same printer using the ip address.

Rick

No Events found!