Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 5th, 2009 11:00

V505w Application List Download fails when scanning to network

I have a V505w all-in-one.  It has the latest firmware (110708).  My PC (e6400) has the latest driver.  I have setup the printer on my wireless network.  When I try to Scan To Network, the application list download times out and fails.  This was working before I updated the firmware humorously enough.  I was troubleshooting a problem one of my users in the field was having.

Anybody else run into this problem and have a solution?  Dell doesn't seem to have a published answer for it.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 5th, 2009 12:00

ielverson,

Here is what I have suggested to others. I highly recommend using the wireless settings I suggested below to make everything work flawlessly. 

Before proceeding, please make sure the computer has all the Windows Updates, especially the net framework, which is needed for many programs to run. Also make sure you have the latest Java.

Disconnect the printer. Un-install the printer.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

Vista 64-bit Drivers

All other drivers

If wireless, fix your network first.

Update the firmware in your wireless router. Manufacturer's website, make & Model needed.

Broadcast SSID(You may want to change this to make it easier to connect)

Use WPA-PSK(TKIP) Security(WPA Personal). Most wireless devices work best with this type of security.

Mixed b and g mode(n if available)

Use channels 1, 6 or 11. Most devices work better on these channels. (I use channel 11)

Save and exit. Power everything off for 30 seconds. Power everything back on, wait 30 seconds, now try to connect.

How Do I Connect a Dell™ Wireless Printer to a Wireless Network

Choose your printer. Beneath your printer, select your operating system. You'll be redirected to another page. Then click on show all steps. It will walk you through the installation process.

Rick

5 Posts

March 10th, 2009 20:00

I'm having the exact same problem.  WIFI LED is steady blue.  Prints fine, but refuses to scan to network with the same error you are seeing.

5 Posts

Is Pudgy One a person or a bot?  Why does he post the exact same thing to every thread on this forum?

This response is nonsense.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

Please make sure the computer has all the Windows Updates, especially the net framework, which is needed for many programs to run. Also make sure you have the latest Java.

I noticed that sometimes the program hangs there for a little bit. I have hit the Crtl, Shift and Esc buttons at the same time to bring up the Task Manager and then it seems to eventually work. Maybe this will work for you, too.

Update list of applications to send scans to

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 10th, 2009 21:00

You're on you own.

2 Posts

August 27th, 2009 19:00

my v505 is connected via usb cable.  i had same problem... was able to scan using the dell imaging toolbox but not using the v505 keyboard.  i reconnected the printer wirelessly and attempted to scan again from the v505 keyboard and  it worked...

February 27th, 2010 19:00

I have the exact same issue.

My laptop is a DELL E6400 running Windows 7 64 bit.

I have the latest version of the printer firmware as well DELL imaging Toolbox.

Considering how the laptop and printer are all DELL hardware, I am very disappointed at the sub-standard wireless scanning experience.

A typical scanning experience consists of resetting my printer several times, restarting DELL imaging toolbox on my laptop as well as sometimes connecting the printer via USB to get scanning working,

Shame on you DELL.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 28th, 2010 02:00

shailensukul,

Try these little tweaks. It seems Microsoft likes to power down a few items.

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager)

Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign.

Go to each USB Root Hub and right click on it, left click properties, left click power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Restart your computer.

--------------------------------------

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager). Click on Network and then right click on your wireless adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 28th, 2010 11:00

shailensukul,

First, I would use these Recommended Wireless Router Settings in my wireless router, I use channel 11.(I'd change the SSID to make connecting easier) Then setup the printer.

I would then try reinstalling the printer using the instructions located at...

V505 & V505w All-In-One (PRODUCT) RED™ Printer owners thread (W7)

Try installing the Vista drivers in the compatibility mode.

Rick

btw, your Dell Printer was made for Dell by Lexmark

February 28th, 2010 11:00

This also did not fix the issue. Also when the scanner was not able to communicate to the laptop, the laptop's wireless settings were working fine.

And PudgyOne, blaming the way Windows works is not a good enough reason. When DELL releases hardware and software to work on a platform, it should do thorough testing to ensure that the most basic operations will work.

As I said before shame on you DELL and I will reconsider future purchases from this company from now on.

1 Message

September 10th, 2012 16:00

Since all of the answers above are botted from a generic list of stupid answers, this is what I discovered.

On Windows 7 x64, I first set C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell V505\app4r.exe and frun.exe with Windows Vista compatibility mode and added them both as exceptions in the firewall.

Then I tried to scan, but didn't always work.

But I right clicked the dell imaging toolbox icon from the task bar (by the clock), and chose exit.  Then opened up app4r.exe again.

At this point it would properly download application list.... But only once.

Try to scan again and it would download list again but fail.

Closed and restarted app4r.exe again, and it works.

Sounds like Dell makes a really  <ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed as per TOU> program that is not compatible with any sort of program (as I had similar problems in XP too).  Their tech support really sucks as you saw above, and you won't get an appropriate answer for their buggy software.

As a side note, this printer is a piece of  <ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed as per TOU> when it comes to the hinges lifting the printer case up.  Due to them breaking after only using it a few times, not even roughhousing, Dell considers that wear and tear or user caused damage and won't cover it under warranty.  After I take it apart and look at their very, very cheaply made hinges with very thin plastic lining holding it in, I just removed the hinges entirely.  Now it works.  Need to be careful when opening it but at least I have a working printer that I won't have to pay some stupid tech $100 for to replace a cheap 50 cent plastic piece that Dell won't even sell directly to you for you do-it-yourself repairers.

By the way, never buying a Dell printer again.

No Events found!