Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 2nd, 2010 14:00

Windows 7 Drivers for Dell 924 All-in-One Printer

Has anyone had any luck getting a Windows 7 system to print on a Dell 924 Printer?

When is the Windows 7 driver for the Dell 924 Printer goint to be available? 

I have tried loading the Vista driver but my Window 7 laptop refuses to communicate with the Dell 924 printer when I try to print the test page.  Scanning is OK.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 2nd, 2010 15:00

WMike,

Yes, other members have installed the 924 printer on their Windows 7 machines. Try following the instructions located at...

924 Photo All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Then tell me what happens.

Rick

4 Posts

January 2nd, 2010 17:00

I followed the steps to remove the old driver using the patch.  I downloaded and installed the Vista 32-bit drive for the Dell 924 All-in-One printer.  During the setup I actually got the alignment page to print on the printer. 

The next step I tried to print the test page. 

A "Dell Photo AIO Printer Not Available" error box was displayed with the followig text:

'The printer cannot communicate with the computer. Please turn on "Enable Bidirectional Communication" setting in the printer properties dialog.'

Under printer properties > ports (USB001); I checked the "Enable bidirectional support" and tried to print the test page again.  No luck as I got the following message:

"Test page failed to print.  Would you like to view the printer troubleshooter for assistance?  Operation could not be completed (error 0x00000002)"

The trouble shooter couldn't identify the problem.  By the way the "Enable bidirectional support" option does not stay checked once you leave the printer properties window.

I check and my USB drivers say they are all up to date.

I'm not sure what to try next. Do you think the "Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC" might help?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 2nd, 2010 18:00

WMike,

What is the make and model of the computer with Windows 7?

Enable Bidirectional Support/Enable Biodirectional Support

Did you disconnect the printer. Run the patch to completely remove the printer and restart when prompted. Also did you Manual Printer Driver Removal and restart your computer.

Try installing the printer drivers in the XP mode if the Vista SP2 mode didn't work. Windows 7 asks you if the printer installed correctly, did you say no?

Rick

4 Posts

January 2nd, 2010 19:00

An addition to my previous message.  I tried to set up the Dell 924 printer using the new Vista drivers as a network printer hosted on my Dell Windows XP Desktop.  No luck on getting the laptop to print or communicate with the printer attached to the desktop.  I removed the network printer device from Laptop.  After a few restarts the Dell 924 All-in-one printer is finally printing through my laptop USB port.  The "Enable Bidirectional Support" check box finally stuck.

Now I can try what I really wanted to do and set up the Windows 7 laptop to talk with the network printer on my Windows XP desktop.  Any suggestions?

W. Mike

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 3rd, 2010 03:00

WMike,

I really didn't network a printer. I never like the idea of having another computer on to print. I have a wireless print server connected to my printer.

Did you install the LLTD?

Download details: Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) Responder (KB922120)

You cannot add a printer and you receive printer spooler error messages in Windows XP

File and Print Sharing in Vista (Thanks to mombodog)

and

Sharing a printer through a wireless network

Rick

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 21st, 2010 14:00

WMike and Rick

I have the same problems.  I have a Dell 942 connected to a Dell Dimension 2400 running Windows XP.  I had another machine (AMD processor) running XP and a Toshiba laptop running Vista.  I had the home network running fine where I could print from the laptop and AMD machine to the 942 through the 2400.  I upgraded the laptop and AMD machine to Windows 7 Ultimate.  Now neither of them can print to the 942.  I tried all different combinations of drivers and compatability modes. I used the Dell patch file to remove the printers as well as manually doing it.   I tried hooking the 942 directly to the laptop and it still won't print from there.  I did get the bi-directional option to "stick" finally but I get a 0x00000002 comunication error. The 942 still works fine when printing from the 2400.  Has any more progress been made using a 942 with Windows 7? 

Sterling

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 21st, 2010 15:00

Sterling,

I prefer not mixing printers in the same thread because they use different software and drivers. I don't want the wrong drivers going in to the wrong system, it can then be an issue and take some time to figure out that the person tried to install the wrong drivers.

Can you please make a new thread and tell me the make and model of your computer and operating system. Also tell me how you're trying to connect the Make and model of your printer. Also include any problems and we'll try to get you going.

Dell Printers Forum

Thanks,

Rick

January 3rd, 2011 05:00

WMike did you get this to work? I'm trying to do the same thing.

I have a Windows 7 laptop wanting to print to 924 that's connected to a Windows XP Desktop via a home network.

I have another Windows XP laptop that is successfully printing to 924 via the home network. It worked immediately without any problems.

I am able to follow the forum's instructions to get the Windows 7 laptop to install the 924 printer (using Vista compatibility mode and the forum's Vista drivers and cleanup utility). But I cannot get the Windows 7 laptop to print a test page or communicate with the printer. I have the Windows 7 laptop firewalls off and both the Windows XP desktop and Windows XP laptop can access files on the Windows 7 laptop so I know it's not the network.

Any ideas?  

4 Posts

January 3rd, 2011 08:00

Sorry to say I couldn't get my Windows 7 Laptops to network with the Dell 924 printer through the Windows XP Desktop.  I finally caved in and just switched the USB printer cable to the Windows 7 laptops when I wanted something printed on them.

No Events found!