Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

H

September 27th, 2010 07:00

can't get text to print completely - new cartridge inserted and still no quality prints

Hi,

I've owned my 946 since 08 and I've had the random turning on and off but thought it was a ghost or two.  Never could figure it out; printer installed with usb cord when purchased and not the cd. 

Nevertheless, my printer now does not want to completely print a quality text or graphic and any thing that it does print is of poor quality and can't be read.  I must confess that I did purchase ink refills from Walgreens a time or two and they did work until now.  I decided that maybe that may have been a problem so I purchased a DELL ink cartridge and installed it with a successful alignment and all and still can't get a good print test page or anything else....HELP.

Herbe

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 28th, 2010 03:00

Herbe,

Let's take the computer out of the picture.

Can you copy a document under the glass? B&W and color?

Are you using Dell Series 5 ink cartridges?

If you unplug the printer from the wall and remove the power brick for 60 seconds, this will reset any error messages the printer has. I would then plug everything back in.

Power on the printer. 

Open the printer(with the power on) and take out the Dell Series 5 black cartridge and then reseat it. I would then take out the color Dell Series 5 ink cartridge and reseat it. Now close the printer and it will print an alignment page.

Any error messages?

black cartridge = black side(left side)          color cartridge = color side(right side)

photo cartridge = black side(left side)          color cartridge = color side(right side)

Dell Series 5 ink cartridges have a sensor in them that cannot be reset. Article on refilling Dell ink cartridges .

Dell Series 5 ink cartridges can be purchased at Staples, Walmart or Dell's Website.

It's possible to get a Dell Series 5 ink cartridge with a bad sensor. I would that these back to the place of purchase for a replacement or a refund.

Rick

No Events found!