Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 28th, 2009 12:00

code to manually receive faxes on Photo 964

Hi,

I've seen other posts, especially from PudgyOne, saying that a code (default is 3355#) can be used to receive faxes (I've also read the manual, which says you can manually answer faxes with a code).  My set up is phone jack > jack splitter > DSL filter > Dell 964 > phone w/ answering machine.  I can send faxes.  Auto Answer is off.  When a call comes in that I know is a fax, I have 4 rings before my answering machine picks it up.  I am unclear when in this whole process I'm supposed to enter the code and where.  Possible combinations:

while the phone is ringing, on the 964 keypad (to tell it to answer the call?)
after the answering machine has answered the call, on the 964 keypad
after I answer the phone, on the 964 keypad
after I answer the phone, on the phone's keypad

I've tried a few of these and it didn't work.  Any help would be appreciated.

delelf

5 Posts

October 28th, 2009 16:00

UPDATE:

I changed some settings and got everything to work.  The changes I made were in the Fax > Fax Setup > Ringing and Answering section. 

I changed:

"Ring Volume" from "Off" to "Low"
"Pick-Up On" from "3rd Ring" to "5th Ring"
"Distinctive Ring" from "Triple Ring" to "Any Ring"

I think that last one made the difference because I had thought I was setting the 964 to _emit_ a triple ring when I now know I had set it to _pick up_ on a triple ring - but I don't have a distinctive ring for the fax machine.

When the phone rings, the 964 starts to ring as well, only later, about 3 phone rings in.  Not sure why there's such a long delay.  Once the 964 starts ringing, the display reads "Incoming Call To manually answer, dial 3355#".  Dial that into the 964 keypad and it starts receiving.  Don't pick up the phone.

Very helpful web page that let me send test faxes to my phone number for free:
http://www.interpage.net/sub-wwwfax.html

Hope that helps anyone trying to use this feature!

delelf

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 28th, 2009 13:00

delelf,

Your setup should be...

wall > DSL Filetr > splitter > multiple devices

Everything, phone, answering machine, faxes, etc..., needs a DSL filter except your DSL Modem/router. You may share it, like I mentioned above.

I have a 964 printer. I have it set not to answer. I can manually answer a fax with pressing the code that you mentioned above. If you want your 964 to answer faxes as well as the answering machine, then you need to subscribe to dinstinctive ring with your phone company. Costs about $8 depending where you live and your provider. Then you can use the dinstinctive ring setting.

Any questions, please feel free to ask.

Rick

5 Posts

October 28th, 2009 14:00

Hi, Rick,

Thanks so much for your response.  The jack splitter has the DSL modem on one side, and the filter on the other side for everything else, so that's why I didn't put the filter between the splitter and the phone jack.

You write that you "can manually answer a fax with pressing the code that you mentioned above."  At what point do you press the code?  During the ringing?  After answering the call with a phone?  And do you press the code into the 964 keypad or a phone?

Thanks,

delelf

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 28th, 2009 15:00

delelf,

I am going to be honest with you. I have used toe 964 printer to send faxes before, but NEVER received them. I did try to set it up but really didn't care about this function. Most faxes are on the way out as email is quicker, more dependable and it also GREEN Friendly. Yo don't need to print the documents if you don't want to. It is recommended to send document via email these days. Try to keep everything digital, just make sure to keep copies of files and folders that you cannot afford to lose.

I would turn off the answering machine, if you know there is an incoming fax. If you acciendtally answer the phone and it's squeeling, then type the code and see what happens. You might be able to press the code when the phone is ringing if you know it's the incoming fax.

I will be changing ISP's this weekend, so I will no longer have DSL and an analog phone line. ince I hardly fax, this will be a non-issue. Will try to send everything via email.

Rick

5 Posts

October 28th, 2009 17:00

Thanks, Rick, I'll do that.  Thanks also for all the great posts you put up on this forum.  I have to say that the reason I didn't know about "verifying" an answer is because I usually find the answer in an exisiting thread, and usually in one of your posts.  So thanks for the heads up and all your time and work.

delelf

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 28th, 2009 17:00

delelf,

GREAT JOB! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back. Glad you got it working. When I did have my printer connected to the phone line, I did not have it answer any calls as it would answer before the answering machine and then people would hear the screeching.

If you could mark the verify answer and yes you can mark you thread as the verified answer. That way if anyone else searches the forums, they can see what you did to get it working.

Take care,

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 28th, 2009 18:00

delelf,

Thank you for the compliments.

Dell will be getting a new search feature shortly that will search the verified answers and this will also help others find solutions. You know when there are changes, sometimes things get worst before they get better, but we're hoping for this to go smoothly.

Thinking about using your printer with Windows 7 64-bit? Dell says the printer is non compatible but someone has found drivers that look promising. I need to find that thread.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 28th, 2009 18:00

No Events found!