Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 21st, 2009 06:00

dell 924 all in one printer and studio 1737 laptop

laptop brand new.. vista sp1  , 32 bit operating system.. last week, installed 924 all in one printer that I have had for a few years. printer worked fine on old laptop.  after installing printer on new laptop.. the laptop acted funny.. close lid- start up .. open lid-shut down..  would not start when pressed power button.. only when gently ran fingers over media panel..

dell sent links to update bios and video drivers. laptop is working fine.. i can go to control panel -printers, and see dell 924 .. i made it my default printer..  but I can not see the dell all in one center.. which I need..  in control panel under printers have microsoft xps document writer and microsoft office document image writer - havent read up on those yet..

I am not computer smart.. and need help in what I should do?  I can not see printer 924 in the programs on the control panel.. like on the old laptop..

should I click on the remove printer in the control panel? should I then reinstall the printer? I have the cd.  when I installed it the first time, it said it installed it correctly.

I need the all in one center ... any help????

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 21st, 2009 06:00

tammy408,

First I'd like to say I have no problems with my Studio 1737 Laptop and I have the Bios that was installed from the factory. Try re-installing the printer following the instructions below and you should have no problems. Do NOT use the disks, the drivers aren't updated for Vista, if my memory serves me correctly.

First make sure your computer has all the Windows updates. I have the custom ones too, especially the .net framework(Needed to run many applications). Also make sure to have the latest Java. Since you didn't mention how the printer's connected, here the basic instructions for this printer.

Disconnect your printer. Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. When the patch is finished, it will prompt you to restart your computer. It seems to be a lenghty process so please be patient.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

Vista 64-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Install the proper drivers.(ONLY install the drivers you need) You'll be prompted when to connect your printer(powered on)

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 21st, 2009 09:00

Tammy,

Before you ran the patch, you got all the Windows Updates, like .net framework and the latest Java, correct?

Then restart the computer and run the patch. I forget but I think running the patch may take around 10 minutes and then it will prompt you to restart your computer.

Then install the proper drivers.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

Tammy,

You have all Windows Updates, especially .net framework and the latest Java, correct?

Then download the 924 patch

http://ftp.us.dell.com/printer/R166243.zip

With the printer still disconnected, Double click on it.

Run this until it asks you to restart your computer.

Install ONLY the drivers for your operating system, which is Vista (most are 32-bit unless you have a 64-bit system). Click start, control panel system and see what version of computer you are running.

Rick

6 Posts

February 21st, 2009 08:00

thank you. I am as far as getting the file on desktop.. now waiting for next step.. which states to follow on screen instructions. you are right it does take long time. about 20 minutes so far.. and still no on screen instructions.

6 Posts

I think I did not do something correctly.. the main drivers and download page still has the green bar on the bottom and has not gained any.

i got the file r148156 on the desk top.. double clicked it.   closed the self extractor window. clicked start.. clicked run.. typed in c:\dell|drivers/r148156 clicked ok

suppose to have online instructions.. all i got was the window that shows the file with the list (apps, common, drivers, install, pubs, tools, setup app, set up config)

printer is not installed. unplugged and unhooked everything..

what did i do wrong? and what is the next step?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

Tammy,

After you run the patch, then open the R148156 and click on setup.exe and this will install the printer. You will be prompted when to connect the printer(powered on)

Rick

6 Posts

thank you

6 Posts

February 21st, 2009 10:00

thank you.. finally  924 aio installed. I can see it on start menu along with dell all in one center and ink supplies..

you are a life saver..  thank you most kindly for helping me. I am such a computer dummy.

tammt

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 21st, 2009 10:00

Tammy,

You did all the work, I just mearly assisted you, GREAT JOB! :emotion-21: If you could you mark the verify answer(s) that helped you solve your problem, so if someone else searches the forums, they can see what you did to fix your problem(s).

Thanks,

Rick

No Events found!