This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 29th, 2013 14:00

dell aio 966 photo printer

Hello                                               

• Vendor Version : G16-EN
  • Dell Version : A02

Attempting to install a Dell 966 AIO printer on a windows 7 system.  Downloaded the driver from the dell site  (G16-EN,A02 )...seems to install properly, the computer sees the device under  'devices and printers'.  when I print to it, unsuccessful, error says to turn on bi-directional printing.   When I go to printer properties  under the 'port' tab and attempt to click on 'enable bi-directional support', I can check it, but when I exit and verify, its back to unchecked.   I've uninstalled and re-installed twice with the same result.   Takes a very long time to uninstall, if that means anything 

The connection type is USB and this worked perfectly fine on my old windows xp system.  Yes, all the current windows updates, at least through July 2013 have been installed.  Thought it might have something to do with my anti-virus software (AVG), but disabling AVG while installing did not make a difference.                                     

• Vendor Version : G16-EN
  • Dell Version : A02

3 Posts

July 30th, 2013 23:00

The system is a brand new hp desktop that was booted up for the first time last week, there would have been no reason for me to 'install or reinstall the operating system', so the answer to your question is no, I did not install or reinstall the operating system.  I uninstalled the windows 7 printer driver software downloaded from the dell site and ran your printer cleanup utility which did not find anything to cleanup.  Uninstalling AVG and reinstalling the printer software did nothing except cause me to waste an hour reinstalling the printer software, still could not print, then reinstalling AVG.  I once again removed the windows 7 printer driver this time tried installing the vista driver in compatibility mode.   when the driver software finished installing i noticed the box for bi-directional support was already checked under the ports tab in printer properties and sure enough, i can now print.    

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 29th, 2013 15:00

parrot328,

First run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print job in the queue.

Disconnect the printer.

Download and run the patch(printer cleanup utility) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer is removed.
Manual Printer Driver Removal

Download the Vista 32-bit drivers for Windows 7 32-bit or the Vista 64-bit drivers for Windows 7 64-bit. Install the Vista drivers in the Vista Compatibility mode You'll get a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on).

Links to the patch/drivers can be found at...

Dell 966 Photo All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Try reading...

Allow Wireless Printer Blocked by AVG 8.0 Firewall

Rick

3 Posts

July 29th, 2013 15:00

Not sure what is different from what I've already done.  I have no stuck printer jobs.   The driver was removed before I installed.  You mention using the Vista or Windows 7 64 bit driver, I used the Windows 7 driver and didn't connect the printer until the install program prompted, and when I connected the printer,  the program continued on doing its thing.. 'test page' print generated the 'turn on bidirectional support', which I tried to do.  are you telling me to not use the windows 7 64 bit driver and to use the Vista 64-bit driver in compatibility mode ?

Again, I'm using a USB cable, so not sure if the link you sent along about AVG and wireless connections applies

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 30th, 2013 02:00

parrot328,

Did you recently install/reinstall the operating system?

The patch(printer cleanup utility) cleans out everything for this printer.

Uninstall AVG, then try the installation.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 31st, 2013 08:00

parrot328,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back.

Take care,

Rick

No Events found!