Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

February 7th, 2006 21:00

dell1700/1700n paper jam

each time i print a job on my dell 1700n laser printer, the first page always jams in the printer.  dell has sent me 4 printers so far and they all do the same thing on the first page printed.  I have to believe that it is something in my system that is creating this problem.  anybody else had the same problem, or can help me get this thing corrected?  i am going to run dell out of printers soon.

141 Posts

February 8th, 2006 00:00

The 1700 line is very sensitive to having too much paper in the tray. It will close but then when it trys to print it will jam. Make sure that the amount of paper your putting is under the maximum amount. Even try it with only 1/2 the paper installed and see what happens.

February 8th, 2006 02:00

My 1700 just started this tonight. No clue why it suddenly started. Really irks me -- good thing I have another laser printer sitting next to it. Or I would really be in trouble.

Same paper as always. Even reduced paper volume to less than 1/3 in case something happened. What else is to be tried? What do we do to get this machine back to working?

February 13th, 2006 19:00

The first one I got was great for about 4 months then started jamming on the first or second page. Replacement was great for another few months then it started doing it again a week or so again. I followed the recommendations at http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&cs=19&docid=E16C1E3DC940C81EE030A68F27280E97&journalid=3DF157039CD311DA94499D9DAD883679&l=en&s=dhs#2

for fluffing the paper. Same problems. Just got off the phone with them and they are sending me another one (this time also with a new tray).
---george

February 14th, 2006 12:00

We have had our printer just under 5 months (8411 prints) and it started to be sensitive to paper levels in the tray. I figured the feed rollers were dirty. When I cleaned them with water and paper towel I found they were not dirty but did soak up water like a sponge. Also the "tackiness" of the rollers improved. It is winter here now and could be the heaters or just the paper drying out the drive rollers. Anyone with any suggestions on maintining the drive rollers?

2 Posts

March 24th, 2006 16:00

The problem I’m having only starts when we switch to 17” x 8.5”.  Was this your issue and have you resolved it.?

I’m going to try using a 2nd tray form 17” paper only.

2 Posts

March 24th, 2006 16:00

The problem I’m having only starts when we switch to 17” x 8.5”.  Was this your issue and have you resolved it?  This is also our forth out of eight printers with this same issue.

I’m going to try using a 2nd tray form 17” paper only.

1 Message

January 25th, 2007 06:00

I just cleaned the paper "grabbers" (feed rollers) and now the printer works just as it used to.

The user above who mentioned the heat is on to something, I think. I have a space heater very near the printer. The rollers also looked cracked. I just wetted them with a paper towel, and thank goodness, the printer started working again.

It's impossible to manually load 28 sheets in a row!

Steve

January 5th, 2013 10:00

I have a 1700 that has worked fine and now the feed rollers jam constantly.  I would love to know if anyone has the part number and a site to reorder these rollers?  If you do please send info to Email id removed per privacy policy>

No Events found!