Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 7th, 2015 11:00

e525W / Scan to Email

I attempted to set up the printer to Scan to Email with a GMail account, but it seems to have issues.  When I attempted to scan a page, it seemed to lock up the printer.  The EWS server would no longer respond.  I gave it a few minutes and still nothing.  I tried 2 different GMail accounts and neither one worked.  They did give me the error about an unknown device connecting.  I clicked allow.

The settings are:

<ADMIN NOTE: Email id removed per privacy policy>

port 465

SMTP AUTH (Auto)

then my username without the @gmail.com suffix and password

<ADMIN NOTE: Email id removed per privacy policy>

port 110

same username and password

reply same email as above

In the Security settings, I enables the SSL/TSL setting.

1 Message

January 20th, 2016 08:00

Step by step "how to" scan to Gmail email with Dell E525w MFP

(a) Today, Wed Jan 20, 2016, we got this to work

(b) Before proceeding, you'll need to get your E525w connected to your network. We found the Dell instructions dense, but ultimately we figured this out.  Also, you should login to the printer's web interface via a browser. You should also print from one of your computers.  We had (b1) connected printer to WiFi, (b2) logged into printer's web interface, and (b3) successfully printed prior to taking the steps below.

(c) Also, via the printer web interface, we entered our desired personal email address in the Address Book.  At the end of this set of instructions you'll want to test scan something to an email of your choosing, and you will find it easy and convenient to choose from a pre-loaded email address book.  This should take you 1-2 mins. 

(d) To make scan to email work, we largely followed the genius instructions provided by Mark from Minneapolis, Minnesota (UID = markshaheen). Thank you, Mark.

(e) We needed to modify Mark's instructions slightly for the E525w, and so we'll repeat in a start-to-end cookbook fashion, but note that Mark gets all the credit.  

(f) NOTE:  We did not want to alter any settings in our existing Gmail account so we created a special email account for our Dell E525w printer.  We used a naming convention "DellScans4OurLastname@gmail.com" and whenever we refer to EMAIL ADDRESS below we mean this new gmail address.  Maybe not needed. Probably not needed. However, we didn't want to add 2-factor authentication to our existing email account because we've got it wired to many other things and didn't really want to take the time to analyze the implications.

INSTRUCTIONS FOR SCAN-TO-EMAIL FOR DELL E525W MFP [this is specifically Gmail]

[1] Go to gmail EMAIL ADDRESS account and activate 2-step (i.e., 2-factor) authentication

[2] Go to App Passwords

[3] Set-up for printer.  We picked "Other" and then entered Dell E525w for device name.  Gmail then generated a password.  We copied this password (and photographed our screen in case we lost it)

[4] Log into printer vie web browser.

NOTE: even [4] might prove tricky for some.  We went to our printer and navigated via Menu then System then Report/List then "System Settings" report and printed.  This 2-pg report contains useful info, including the device service tag and IP address.

[5] Click "Print Server Settings" on left nav and we was 3 tabs: Print Server Reports, Print Server Settings and Security.  Click Print Server Settings tab.

:emotion-14: On the Print Server Settings tab you'll see several sub-menu choices.  Click TCP/IP

[7] Look for 2nd boxed grouping of fields with DNS label.  Note, this is a really bad and confusing user interface.  So for clarity, the top grouping of fields, TCP/IP Setting starts with the "Host Name" field and ends about 16 fields later with "AutoConfigure Gateway Address" and you need to skip over all of this and look below to the next group, i.e., DNS.

:emotion-29: On our interface, under the DNS field grouping, the 3rd line down reads "Get DNS Server Address from DHCP" with an "Enable" box.  Uncheck the box

[9] Immediately below, on the 4th line in this section, you'll see "Manual DNS Server Address" and ours fields were filled with the IP address of our printer.  Type in 8.8.8.8

NOTE:  we've got no idea why 8.8.8.8 works.  We did what Mark instructed. At this point we felt like well educated monkeys, but we checked our ego at the door...

[10] Click Apply New Settings (note: we forget when and where this happened, but at least twice our changes resulted in the web interface telling us it needed to restart our printer.  Whenever we encountered this we hit clicked on "restart" and it took 1-3 mins. No big deal)

[11] Either under the Printer Server Settings tab or using the left hand nav, click on E-mail Alert.

(note: more bad user interface. who would think that "E-mail Alert" contained the email server settings. anyway, press on...)

[12] We had to enter values for several fields.  Here we needed to do something a little diff than Mark instructed because when we skipped the POP info it didn't work.  Anyway, below you'll see all the fields and we suggest you try entering your data equivalents.

Primary SMTP Gateway:  smtp.gmail.com

SMTP Port Number:  465

E-mail Send Authentication:  *SMPT AUTH (AUTO)

SMTP Login User:  EMAIL ADDRESS

SMTP Login Password:  your PW

Re-enter SMTP Login Password:  your PW

POP3 Server Address:  pop.gmail.com

POP3 Port Number:  110

POP User Name:  EMAIL ADDRESS

POP User Password:  your PW

Re-enter POP User Password:  your PW

Reply Address:  EMAIL ADDRESS

[13] Click Apply New Settings 

[14] On left nav, click "Print Server Settings" tab and then click Security tab

[15] On the Security tab you'll see several sub-menu choices.  Click SSL/TLS

[16] On the SSL/TLS user interface we encountered two boxed field groupings.  The top box contained 3 fields and the 3rd field read "SMTP - SSL/TLS Communication" and it had a drop down box with choices.  Select *SSL/TLS

[17] Click Apply New Settings 

After step [17] the printer web interface may have brought up a Restart dialogue box. We don't recall.  However, we do know that after [17] we went to our printer, put in a 1-pg test doc and scanned successfully to two separate addresses in our pre-loaded Address Book.

If this fails to work for you, accepts our commiseration.  We probably left something out.  You can find Mark's original post here

THANKS, MARK!

29 Posts

September 17th, 2015 03:00

Jody, try to enter your username WITH the @gmail.com suffix.  See if it works.

372 Posts

September 17th, 2015 17:00

ok give this a try, it works with the 2665.  This is a Gmail issue not the printer issue.

I have the answer to this issue, I setup a google address to scan to any email address from home.

Here is the major issue.  Google wants us to use their Google Apps.  Our Dell Printer does not use a google app.  So we have to get a password from Google to access their email system.  They make us go through this step for all non-google app access.

Two steps in Google to allow the printer to access your account.

Go to your Google gmail account.  You need to activate the 2-Step Verification turned on

mail.google.com/.../0 etc

Last Google STEP!  

Go to App Passwords.

Setup a password for ALL applications you will use, like your printer.  It will Generate a password for you.  Copy it >This is an important step.  You need this password to make it all work.

Step one, log into your printer via web browser.

Print Server Settings> then click the tab [Print Server Settings] >then [TCP/IP]

2nd box down you will see DNS.  IPv4 un-check the Get DNS box enter this address 8.8.8.8

Click at the bottom Apply new Settings.  You MUST always apply the setting before leaving the page or it doesn’t save the setting.

Step 2, go to the [E-Mail Server] tab

Primary SMTP Gateway: smtp.gmail.com

SMTP Port Number:  465

Email Send Auth:  *SMTP AUTH (AUTO)

SMTP login:  your gmail login email here

Password: your G-mail GENERATED password.  This is where you paste that password that Google generated.

Password: repeat

POP and POP3 ignore it.

Reply Address: your gmail email address goes here again

Click at the bottom Apply new Settings.  You MUST always apply the setting before leaving the page or it doesn’t save the setting.

Step 3

Click the [Security] tab above

Then the SMTP - SSL/TLS Communication:  *SSL/TLS

Setup a password for ALL applications you will use, like your printer.  It will Generate a password for you.  Copy Past it in

January 15th, 2022 10:00

Magic. Solved the unsolvable--7 years after your original post!

No Events found!