Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 15th, 2009 03:00

print ps file to network printer

I am trying to print a post script file to a PS network printer with the following command:

"copy /b filenamen.ps lpt1:"

In order to map the network port for lpt1 (copy does not see network adresses), I used the command:

"net use lpt1 PS printername" but I get system error 66 (the network resource type is not correct.).

The pritner is a DELL3115cn-PS and its IP address is 192.168.1.11.

Thank you for your help

1.7K Posts

July 17th, 2009 06:00

The MSKB has an interesting article on how to do this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/154498/

Also, a file can generally be sent to a network printer that supports FTP using this process. (the 3115cn DOES support FTP)
(IP address shown is example; substitute your own)
From a CMD prompt: (bold are entries)
1. Change Dir (CD) to the folder location of the file; i.e., navigate to the file location where the file is stored.
2. FTP 192.168.1.5 <enter>
3. at FTP User prompt, <enter>
4. at FTP Password prompt, type a password, <enter>
   (same password for EWS; if changed, use new PW; if none, just press )
5. at FTP prompt, type " bin" (for binary, if applicable),
6. at FTP prompt, type " send or put" < filename>, < enter>
7. after file has printed, type " quit",

Another option.... I found a GREAT little utility that places an icon on your desktop. You Dbl-click the icon, a small window opens and you can just drag-and-drop the file onto the window to print just about anything. It's FREEWARE and is called (simply) "PrintFile". (by Peter Lerup)

I hope all this helps......

42 Posts

July 17th, 2009 06:00

Thank you very much, ftp works like a charm. I was aware of the Microsoft KB, but I never managed to redirect the LPT port (i.e. no mater what I used for \\server, nothing seemed to work, error 66).

No Events found!