Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 11th, 2009 07:00

"Install GUI stopped working" - Error Trying to Install Dell v515w Printer

Hello.  Received my new Dell v515w printer yesterday.  Unboxed it, hooked it up, followed all the instructions.  Ran the setup, got everything physically working on the printer (again, per the instructions.)  When it came time to install the printer software, however, I get the error "Install GUI stopped working", repeatedly at the same point during the installation process.  I am running Windows 7 on a Dell Latitude D430.  Called Dell Tech Support and they surmised that this is a Windows 7 issue, not a Dell issue.  I have since, however, been able to install eveything successfully on another Dell (Latitude D620) also running Windows 7.  All functions work as expected.  Print, copy, scan, etc.  Any suggestions on how to get past this problem on my other (more important) laptop?  Thanks in advance.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 11th, 2009 09:00

mhubbard1,

Did you try reinstalling the printer using the instructions located at...

V515w Wireless All In One Printer - (RED) owners thread

Installing the drivers in the compatibility mode ha helped many members.

Rick

5 Posts

December 11th, 2009 10:00

Well, I completely uninstalled NIS and still got the error.  Now to reinstall NIS.  I'm convinced now that this is a Windows firewall issue.  Seeing the install ran fine in XP compatibility mode, which is void of any firewall.  The troubleshooting continues ... if you have any other suggestions, let me know.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

mhubbard1,

Yes, Norton is blocking the printer.

Please read THIS ARTICLE. You should have a similar setting in Norton 2010.

Rick

5 Posts

Rick - Yes, I ran though all those steps and still no dice.  I ran setup in XP compatibility mode, the setup completed, but didn't actually install anything.  I ran setup in Vista compatibility mode and I get the same error as I do running it natively on Win7.  The point at which it fails is when the install UI screen says "Transferring Software" and underneath "Installing Firewall Exceptions".  I have tried manually disabling both the firewall in Norton Internet Security 2010 and Windows 7 and still persistently get the error at the same point during the install.  I have since also installed the printer on my wife's laptop running Vista, which is running Norton 360 just like my D620, which installed the printer successfully.  So the only thing I can point at right now is NIS.  My next step is to completely remove NIS 2010, which I really don't want to do, but if it will try it if it will make this darn thing work.  Stay tuned and thanks for the support.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

mhubbard1,

Did you use the Norton Removal Tool?

Rick

5 Posts

December 11th, 2009 11:00

Yes, just tried again after using the Norton Removal Tool and it still fails.  I think it is time to contact Customer Care and return this thing ...

No Events found!