Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 3rd, 2009 09:00

windows 7 compatibility with old printer photo aio printer 922

hey, just purchased a new laptop with windows 7 installed and I am having problems with the use of my old Dell photo AIO printer 922. I have been doing a bit of research into it with no success may I add. Dell's support service is virtually non- existent. Anway, I think that I need to install a driver to make my old printer compatible with the new windows operating system.

I have gone to Dell's internet support and found that the only drivers that they have on this printer are Windows Vista and XP.

In short, I would like to know whether Dell will be unploading a new driver that will make this printer compatible with Windows 7, or whether there is already a driver for windows 7, or whether Dell will be releasing a new driver for windows 7.

If not, my options will be bleak and I will be forced to buy a new printer.

Look forward to hearing back off someone who has any suggestions.

Phil

December 4th, 2009 04:00

Hey Rick,

Cheers for that buddy.

I followed the instructions that you suggested and found that they worked to a T.

But just one note to anybody who has a similiar problem in the future. After you have downloaded the driver from Dell, you will need the disc that you used to install the printer in the first place . Also I found that it was best to download the Windows Vista 64 bit installation.

I am not sure if my comments will be of any help to people with a similar problem.

Once again, thanks Rick for the advice.

Phil

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 3rd, 2009 17:00

Phil,

Please follow the instructions at...

922 Photo All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

and let me know what happens.

Rick

3 Posts

December 19th, 2009 11:00

Hello Phil,

I am kinda have the same problem like you had with my dell 299 AIO printer. While going through some blogs I saw you reply to Rick. Could you help me out by giving me the instruction that helped you sort out your own printer issue too. I will really appricate the help.

Thanks

IB

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 19th, 2009 12:00

ibee4u2me,

Try using the instructions located at...

922 Photo All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

If the top one doesn't work, then try the verified answer as well.

Rick

December 21st, 2009 04:00

Hi there,

Sorry for the late reply to your query. I have not been on my computer for a few days.

I have noticed that Rick himself has given you directions on how to operate the driver.

I followed the link that he gave, and I found that it worked out fine.

I am not quite sure what the problem is with your printer, so i can not give a definitive answer to your question. However, the problem which I had was that my printer was 4-5 years old, and it was not registering with the windows 7 operating system. I made some queries to the manufacturer of my computer, and they informed me that I need to download a 'driver' from Dell.

Basically I went on to the Dell website, and after a bit of research I found where I could download the driver. However, i noticed that there was no windows 7 driver  for the particular model of my printer.

Then i went to this forum and asked for any suggestions. Bascially, I followed Ricks steps and found that my printer could operate on windows 7.

I think that the major problem is that Dell does not have a windows 7 driver for the older model printers yet. I am not sure if they will. However, I used the windows vista 64 bit installation. This is the latest driver that Dell uploaded on their website. It worked for me, so it should work for you.

Basically follow the steps that Rick gave. Use windows vista 64 bit as your driver. Then reinstall your printer with your old installation cd.

Maybe you have sorted the problem by now, hope that you have, if not get back to me with an exact description of your problem, and I will give you some suggestions.

phil

3 Posts

December 30th, 2010 16:00

I have Windows 7 and want to use my Dell 922 on the computer that is on my network.  I have other computers that print to that printer just fine, but I can't get it to work on my new computer.  Any suggestions?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 30th, 2010 16:00

lswalker,

How is the Dell 922 printer connected to your computer? Are you using a host computer or a wireless print server?

Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit?

Rick

3 Posts

December 30th, 2010 17:00

It's Windows 7 64 bit I believe, and it's wireless.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 30th, 2010 17:00

lswalker,

The Dell 922 Printer is NOT a wireless Printer, so is it connected to a host computer or a wireless print server?

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 30th, 2010 19:00

lswalker,

I would first try installing the Vista drivers in the compatibility mode, choose network, then select the correct option. Should be the top one.

Remember virus programs and firewalls will try to block communications.

Try reading...

Share Files and Printers between Windows 7 and XP

Sharing a printer through a wireless network

Rick

3 Posts

December 30th, 2010 19:00

Sorry, I'm not up on all the terms.  It's on a host computer, and I have wireless access in the house.  I've been able to connect other computers to the printer, I just don't know what to do differently with Windows 7.

1 Message

April 25th, 2012 13:00

I am having exactly the same problems as Phil with a new laptop and Windows 7 Home Premium.  Is there a printer driver out there that will work?  This is now April 2012 so hopefully something has been done to correct the problem????

Sharon

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 25th, 2012 17:00

Sharon,

Because this is an older printer, I doubt that Dell will be getting drivers for this printer. Other members have used the Vista drivers in the Vista compatibility mode.

First run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print job in the queue.

Disconnect the printer.

Download and run the patch(printer cleanup utility) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer is removed.
Manual Printer Driver Removal

Download the Vista 32-bit drivers for Windows 7 32-bit or the Vista 64-bit drivers for Windows 7 64-bit. Install the Vista drivers in the Vista
Compatibility mode You'll get a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on).

Links to the patch/drivers can be found at...

Dell 922 Photo All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Remember virus programs and firewalls will block communications.

Rick

548 Posts

April 26th, 2012 03:00

To me it just seems Dell is banking on their previous customers buying a new printer when there is nothing wrong with their old printer but a lack of a Win7 driver. And since the Vista drivers work, one would think it should not be a big task to release a Win7 driver.

In my book, banking on peoples ignorance is a poor excuse for the good business practice of supporting those that buy your products.

I guess we should all expect a raft of peripherals to be obsoleted by the many manufacturers as people move to Win8...

This is just another indication why open source software is a much much better philosophy than proprietary software.  

1 Message

April 28th, 2012 14:00

I have the same problem....did you solve it?

No Events found!