Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 13th, 2012 13:00

ProSphere and CLARiiON statistics

Does ProSphere need also switches to be configured before it can show CLARiiON (CX4) statistics?

I configured SMI and got the arrays discovered. I can also see all the LUNs on the arrays. When trying to view array performance I get this message: "No performance data was returned by the Historical Service". If trying to view individual LUN performance I get "No data found" message on the Select Array LUNs -view. Analyzer is enabled on the arrays.

@henriwithani

233 Posts

August 15th, 2012 01:00

Hi,

Prosphere will not discover Clariions statistics unless the end-to-end topology is discovered and PDC turned on from a host in the path. So yes supported switches need to be discovered in prosphere along with a host.

Some toubleshooting steps

1. Ensure statistics logging is enabled on Clariion arrays.

2. Ensure Clariions are successfully Discovered within SMI-S agent

3. Ensure SMI-S agent is pulling back Performance data statistics for the Clarrion correctly. This can be confirmed using the steps in solution emc277354 of 2 for EnabledState means the SMI-S is collecting Performance data statistics and would point at the collection problem with ProSphere.

4. Within ProSphere at least one switch, one host and along with the array must be in the performance path for performance data to be collected.

5. Confirm the Clariion Arrays is fully discovered in ProSphere within Discovery > Objects List > Arrays in the UI the status is successfull for "Discovery Status"

6. Confirm that at least one switch and host connected to the Clariions which you require statistics are successfully discovered in ProSphere

7. Path Performance Collection (PDC) needs to be enabled on a host connected to the Clariion other wise ProSphere will not collect statistics for any objects. Default collection is every 15 mins.

8. If the "Discovery Status" is Partial or Failed click on the status and within the UI displayed it will provide more inforamtion to why its not successfull. It needs to be successfull for data to collect

9. If the "Discovery Status" is successfull goto the Discovery > Objects Lists > hosts> Select a host conected to the Clariion where the Path Performance Collection is enabled in the UI. Select Status to open the Path Performance Collection Results UI. In this view does it show as successfully collecting Performance data statistics for the Clariion. If it shows as failed or pending select the array and a Detailed Message to the reasons its not collecting will appear in the UI

If all the above steps are already done statistics should appear in the graphs soon after the PDC completes. if you still do not see statistics in ProSphere for a Clariion open an SR or chat with support.

Also please note within the Dashboard > Performance view you will not see data for arrays until 3 days of consistent data is collected.

Regards

Conor

472 Posts

August 14th, 2012 00:00

Hi,

The full end-to-end topology (hosts, switches, arrays) need to be discovered in ProSphere before you can collect performance data.

Regards,

Séamus Coffey

EMC Customer Support Services

75 Posts

August 14th, 2012 08:00

So ProSphere is useless without supported switches?

I would be happy just using it to view CLARiiON statistics rather than using analyzer. But it seems that it can't be used for that purpose.

@henriwithani

No Events found!